Joe Thomas; Sam Darnold IS a BUST

Chargers

Cleveland Browns legend Joe Thomas said it's clear the franchise made the right decision to select Baker Mayfield over fellow quarterback Sam Darnold with the first overall pick in the 2018 NFL draft.

On Wednesday, TMZ Sports provided comments from the 10-time Pro Bowl selection, who believes the New York Jets signal-caller, who was drafted third overall, is overrated based on his success back in Week 1.

"They absolutely did [make the right choice on Mayfield]," Thomas said. "I think for Sam, if he wouldn't had that really good game on national TV against the Lions early on in the season, people would be talking about him being a bust, because he really hasn't played well since then."

SOURCE

Watching him play against the Dolphins and he looked Nathan Peterman-ish with all of the turnovers. What do you think? Is Sam doomed to fail by the Jets or is Joe not know what he's talking about?

15 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

Joe knows what busts look like after protecting them for a decade and trying to break the curse. I trust his opinion. 

But he didn't call him a bust so your click-bait is unwarranted. 

11 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Baker has looked better imo. But Thomas didn't call him a bust.

Okay...he thinks if he had bad game against the Lions, people would be talking about him as Bust. I'm not sure how that shouldn't be taken as he doesn't believe he'll be successful. He had a chance to reiterate himself there but chose not to, I don't see how you can think I'm making this up and putting words in his mouth. I don't believe Sam Darnold is a bust by the way, just thought it was surprising to see a Joe of all people throw out the Bust label half way through the season.

What Thomas said is 100% accurate, and no it wasn't calling Darnold a bust. It was saying that people would be talking about Darnold as a bust if he didn't have a great 1st impression in the MNF game. That's probably true. People LOVE to label, and as a top 3 pick the only viable labels are really "bust" or "QBOTF"... and if you had to make one of those proclamations, you'd probably learn towards bust for Darnold. Just like you would have for Goff in 2016, or Trubisky in 2017... or you know, you could wait and see before you label a guy.

1 minute ago, Classic said:

Okay...he thinks if he had bad game against the Lions, people would be talking about him as Bust. I'm not sure how that shouldn't be taken as he doesn't believe he'll be successful. He had a chance to reiterate himself there but chose not to, I don't see how you can think I'm making this up and putting words in his mouth. I don't believe Sam Darnold is a bust by the way, just thought it was surprising to see a Joe of all people throw out the Bust label half way through the season.

When you put in the title "Joe thomas; Sam Darnold is a bust" that's insinuating that Joe Thomas called him a bust. It's mis-leading and is indeed putting words in his mouth. Whether you meant to or not.

2 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

When you put in the title "Joe thomas; Sam Darnold is a bust" that's insinuating that Joe Thomas called him a bust. It's mis-leading and is indeed putting words in his mouth. Whether you meant to or not.

Please don’t use logical arguments. It’s not the FF way.  

It’s no biggie, but the title is nowhere close to what Thomas said.  

8 minutes ago, Classic said:

He didn't call him a bust in his own words, it's not a major thing but it's clickbait. 

4 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

This

As has been said, Thomas himself did not specifically call Darnold a bust.  But I stand by my opinion pre-draft that Baker really was (and still is) the best QB available this year and that the Browns were uncharacteristically savvy to pick him #1 despite all the heat they took for it (Ward also looks pretty good to me even though they were roundly mocked for selecting him over Chubb). 

As far as Sam is concerned, obviously its way too early to be calling him a bust at this point in time.  He was already the youngest QB selected in the draft this year and had already shown his propensity for turning the ball over at USC so nobody should really be shocked at the season he is having after being thrown into the fire to start the year.  Whenever I'm tempted to label a rookie first rounder as a bust I always think back to Peyton Manning's first year in Indy in which he really struggled.  Not saying Sam will turn into Manning or anything close to that, but we need to see a lot more out of him than 10 games before we totally give up on his whole career.  The INT's have been troubling but getting a full year's experience under his belt may be all he needs to get things going in the right direction.  

I will say that if he does not improve significantly over the course of next season then the Jets will start getting really nervous (and justifiably so)...

Browns chose the correct QB - I thought so at the time but thought maybe they could've traded out of #1 and had Mayfield at #4.. But with Denzel Ward looking good it seems they made all the right calls. 

Darnold just throws way too many picks - in college and now the pros. Don't see much in Allen. Rosen might be good but has a punchable face.

Good call Browns.

Archived