Year in review: How did your 2016 FA additions perform?

RaidersAreOne

The thread regarding the Giants FA additions from last year got me thinking about my team as well as others. I am very curious to see how the FA additions (both big money and lesser name ones at the time) performed for your team last season. I am especially interested to see how the @Jaguars did as they were considered one of the "FA winners".

The big ones for the Raiders:

• Keleche Osemele, LG (A): Reggie continued the trend of adding a big named interior lineman (Hudson the year before), and hit a home run. He was one of the better linemen in all of football last year and elevated our offense tremendously. He didn't give up a sack all season and was a monster in the run game.
  • Bruce Irvin, OLB (B+): We needed another pass-rusher badly opposite Mack, and found just our guy in Irvin. Had 7 sacks and 6 FF (led the NFL iirc). He is a solid all around LB and has been an awesome team mate.
  • Sean Smith, CB (D): Smith has been a disappointment for the most part. Had a historically poor start to the season, and although rebounded a bit he was essentially meh the rest of the season. When you pay a CB top money, you expect good-great play, and we never got that from Smith. Add in the fact he may never play again after being arrested and this was a big swing and a miss by Reggie.
  • Darren Bates (LB/ST) and Brandon Trawick (S/ST) were brought in on 1 year deals as well. They have both since signed with the Titans but were great special teams players for us. They both get a B grade.

Alex Mack, OC (A): Probably the most predictable signing of the offseason. It address a huge need as we couldn't even snap the ball reliably in 2015, let alone block anyone, and we had a prior relationship in place with Shanahan. He was paid a lot, and delivered - our OL went from a major weakness to a significant strength - although good injury luck helped there. Big money but big results.

Mohamed Sanu, WR (B-): A signing disdained by most at the time, me included, but he stabilised the position, his hands were more reliable than advertised and while he's still overpaid he played about as well as you could hope. 

Derrick Shelby, DL (INC): Good value signing, most people liked it, then he got hurt after 6 games. Played respectably when he was on the field, this year will show more.

Dwight Freeney, DE (A-): Came in for cheap, played well, was loved by the fanbase and helped turn Beasley into a player. Can't knock it.

Matt Schaub, QB (B): Overpaid now but in 2016 he helped Ryan (per Matt himself) and given the results it has to be considered a success.

Aldrick Robinson, WR (A-): Signed off the street for peanuts, played well when he got a chance, filled a key reserve role and got himself paid. Definitely a solid signing.

Courtney Upshaw, DL (B): I was never especially impressed but he was cheap and contributed some useful rotational snaps, mainly as a run defender.

Sean Weatherspoon, LB (C-): Nice for the memories/nostalgia, but inevitably got hurt. Unlike Shelby, this was predictable.

and while he wasn't a free agent signing technically, but rather a waiver claim:

Taylor Gabriel, WR (A+):  Gave a whole different dimension to the offense, basically won a game on his own versus Arizona, and played well in the SB. All for a Browns reject making the minimum. Yeah, I'd say this worked out.

Doug Martin was resigned and he wasn't very good. He battled through injuries and wasn't very effective when he was healthy. He finished off the season with a suspension. Grade: F

Chris Conte was resigned as well. He looked pretty rough at the beginning of the year. He blew assignments and missed a few tackles. Then something clicked and he was a baller. He had the game winning INT against KC and he made quite a few plays before he got hurt. Grade: C+

JR Sweezy spent the whole year on IR. He looks great now. But he was absent last year. Grade: N/A

Brent Grimes was one of the top CBs in the league last year. Bounce made plays and got his hands on the ball more than any other DB. Unfortunately he dropped like five or six INTs. Grade: A

Robert Ayers was dinged up a lot throughout last year. He was good when he was healthy. And his presence was definitely felt in the locker room. But he didn't produce quite like we wanted. Grade: B-

OT Mitch Schwartz - C+

had a bum ankle the first half of the year, but improved in the 2nd half of the season.

DL Jaye Howard F - Already cut

ILB Derrick Johnson -C

was doing okay till he ruptured his other Achilles, he's already recovered and starting again.

OLB Tamba Hali - D

At this point he's a coach on the field. Hopefully he can give us enough pass rush.

DT Cedric Thornton (C) - was a rotational DT for us last year. Had his moments. Wouldn't say he was good, but he wasn't bad either. Solid depth.

RB Alfred Morris (D) - was below average as a backup RB for us last year. Is competing for the #3 RB job this year.

QB Mark Sanchez (D) - only reason this isn't an F is because apparently Dak liked him and learned a lot from him. when he saw the field in week 17 he was terrible. 

OG Joe Looney (C) - provided solid depth. still on the team.

LB Justin Durant (C) - provided solid depth.

WR Nate Washington (Texans) - (D) Nothing to report 
DT Frank Kearse (Redskins) - (D) Roster depth 
WR Chris Hogan (Bills)  - (B) Made some excellent plays, stretched the field, was great on comeback routes, lit a few teams up. Superbowl winner.
LB Ramon Humber (Saints) - (D) More squad depth
LB Shea McClellin (Chicago) - (C) Decent option on pass rushing downs, solid if unspectacular. Superbowl winner.
DE Chris Long (Rams) - (B) Exceeded expectations and was used a lot more than we expected. Genuine pass rush. Superbowl winner.

:D

C Ben Jones - Very good signing. Brought in and solified a OL with a lot of issues the previous year. Help turn them into one of the best in the league - A

WR Rishard Matthews - Another underrated signing. Wasn't sure what to expect with him but he made some huge plays last year. Was easily the best WR last year for the team. - A

ILB Sean Spence - Was brought in to help on special teams and to play the nickel LB. Was very blah and was getting burnt far too often. - D

S Rashad Johnson - Another blah player. Was brought in to be a stop-gap player but all he did was take valuable snaps from Kevin Byard. - D

CB Valentino Blake - Trash player. - F

OG Josh Kline - Was a late signing after cuts. He filled in pretty well. Was a backup until Warmack went down in Week 2 and he started the rest of the season. He doesn't exactly fit the scheme as a power blocker but he's a slightly below average player. C

Can't really remember any other FAs of note.

20 hours ago, DrawABlank said:

Alex Mack, OC (A): Probably the most predictable signing of the offseason. It address a huge need as we couldn't even snap the ball reliably in 2015, let alone block anyone, and we had a prior relationship in place with Shanahan. He was paid a lot, and delivered - our OL went from a major weakness to a significant strength - although good injury luck helped there. Big money but big results.

Mohamed Sanu, WR (B-): A signing disdained by most at the time, me included, but he stabilised the position, his hands were more reliable than advertised and while he's still overpaid he played about as well as you could hope. 

Derrick Shelby, DL (INC): Good value signing, most people liked it, then he got hurt after 6 games. Played respectably when he was on the field, this year will show more.

Dwight Freeney, DE (A-): Came in for cheap, played well, was loved by the fanbase and helped turn Beasley into a player. Can't knock it.

Matt Schaub, QB (B): Overpaid now but in 2016 he helped Ryan (per Matt himself) and given the results it has to be considered a success.

Aldrick Robinson, WR (A-): Signed off the street for peanuts, played well when he got a chance, filled a key reserve role and got himself paid. Definitely a solid signing.

Courtney Upshaw, DL (B): I was never especially impressed but he was cheap and contributed some useful rotational snaps, mainly as a run defender.

Sean Weatherspoon, LB (C-): Nice for the memories/nostalgia, but inevitably got hurt. Unlike Shelby, this was predictable.

and while he wasn't a free agent signing technically, but rather a waiver claim:

Taylor Gabriel, WR (A+):  Gave a whole different dimension to the offense, basically won a game on his own versus Arizona, and played well in the SB. All for a Browns reject making the minimum. Yeah, I'd say this worked out.

Only two that I'm disagreeing with.

I'd say Freeney was an A+ signing. Dude balled out in the SB even though he's old enough to be Brady's grandfather.

Weatherspoon was an F. I love the dude but he really didn't do jack all year.

Archived