Growing sense Packers move on from Mike McCarthy End of Season

Nick_gb

NFL Network's Mike Silver reports "there's a growing sense" Mike McCarthy will be replaced after the season.

McCarthy is on the hot seat after another road loss. His job security has been a storyline all year, but McCarthy's track record is strong enough to avoid an in-season firing. McCarthy's questionable playcalling was on full display Thursday night, costing the Packers a chance to win by punting with four minutes remaining. Green Bay's playoff chances are looking slim with losses in three of their last four games. After a lame duck extension in January, the Packers can easily move on from McCarthy this offseason.

Link to Story

As a Packer fan, I can honestly say that this is long overdue. While you have to respect the things Mike has done for the Packers over the years, there comes a time you that you need to make the decision to move on and see if someone else can bring a different mentality here. Over the years Mike McCarthy has been a great coach in terms of winning games and unfortunately not so great with winning Championships. When you have one of the best if not the best Quarterback in the league more should have been able to be accomplished here during his tenure. His unwillingness to move on from Dom Capers after a failed defense each year (Granted injuries played a part), his predictable play calling and as most people saw on Thursday his decision to not believe in his future Hall of Fame quarterback when the game was on the line and instead put it in the hands of his defense that were obliterated with injuries at that point having lost Mike Daniels, Kenny Clark and Breeland during the game is questionable at best. 

With that said, this becomes one of the more attractive destinations for a new Head Coach next year. What are some names you guys could potentially see replacing Mike at the end of the season? Here are a few us Packer fans have discussed. 

1. Lincoln Riley - Oklahoma HC (College)

2.  Josh McDaniels - NEP OC

3. John DeFilippo - MN OC

4. Chris Petersen - Washington HC (College)

5. Bruce Arians - Retired (Said to only be willing to come back for Cleveland)

1 minute ago, Danger said:

I really hope for the Packers sake they don't take McDaniels.

I honestly don't know that his ego would mesh well with Aaron Rodgers -- truly think that could be a recipe for disaster from both sides. One would have to wonder if Aaron Rodgers will have a small hand in selecting who the Packers next head coach will be as that relationship will be a key factor in the success of the Green Bay Packers over the remainder of his career. 

1 minute ago, Dome said:

It’s understandable, I don’t have a ton of faith in him. I could see it though. 

Yeah, undoubtedly I could see it too. I just think there are some outside mitigating factors that need to be determined first. 

1. Is McDaniels in line to be the heir apparent to BB in New England?

2. Has he really grown up from his stint in Denver?

3. If he has then what happened last year with the Colts? 

4. Is his ego going to mesh with Aaron Rodgers? Is there really an ego there or is this just overly assumed based on questions 2 and 3? 

It's probably about time. Granted, he's helped them win a lot of games over the years, but it seems like a change is needed in Green Bay with a fresh philosophy. Over the years, they haven't had the greatest talent on defense to work with, but then again, McCarthy should have gotten rid of Capers a long time ago. I'd be interested to see who they'd target as a head coach. I could see there being mutual interest when it comes to John DeFilippo.

Gotta think he'd be very likely to end up in Cleveland if he gets fired. As a Browns fan, I'd have mixed feelings about it.

2 minutes ago, DawgX said:

It's probably about time. Granted, he's helped them win a lot of games over the years, but it seems like a change is needed in Green Bay with a fresh philosophy. Over the years, they haven't had the greatest talent on defense to work with, but then again, McCarthy should have gotten rid of Capers a long time ago. I'd be interested to see who they'd target as a head coach. I could see there being mutual interest when it comes to John DeFilippo.

Gotta think he'd be very likely to end up in Cleveland if he gets fired. As a Browns fan, I'd have mix feelings about it.

The thing with Capers was that I don't think his Defense fit what Green Bays roster building mentality was. Capers defense was considered to be a really hard defense to come in and learn and that it takes time for players to adapt to it due to its complicated structure. That becomes a problem when your entire team building philosophy is based around the draft. 

The fact that Mike couldn't adapt his coaching staff to the preferred way Green Bay chose to insert talent on the team, is a strong underlier to his problems. His overcommitment to things i.e. the big play, Capers, Slocum? lol. 

11 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

1. Is McDaniels in line to be the heir apparent to BB in New England?

This is true, and why I almost didn’t even make the comment about him.

How enticing is that roster after Brady leaves though? You’ve got a few key players but I think the floor falls out the bottom of that roster with a Brady and Belichick exit.

I guess it’s going to more or less be a rebuild anyways, so I’m sure whoever gets the job is gonna be given some time to build up their roster. It could be about security in that regard, and being real familiar with the organization. 

If McDaniels stays, the bigger story will be his hires and who they bring in to act as a GM for the team. Unless that power is expected to go to McDaniel’s as well? That would be yikes. 

6 minutes ago, Dome said:

This is true, and why I almost didn’t even make the comment about him.

How enticing is that roster after Brady leaves though? You’ve got a few key players but I think the floor falls out the bottom of that roster with a Brady and Belichick exit.

I guess it’s going to more or less be a rebuild anyways, so I’m sure whoever gets the job is gonna be given some time to build up their roster. It could be about security in that regard, and being real familiar with the organization. 

If McDaniels stays, the bigger story will be his hires and who they bring in to act as a GM for the team. Unless that power is expected to go to McDaniel’s as well? That would be yikes. 

If he is given the same power the BB has, I could see why he turned down that job in Indy. Pretty sure his want for complete control was what hurt him in Denver. Maybe he wants another chance at it to show that he's better then his time there? idk.

Would be a mistake.  Packers should have traded Rodgers when his value was three first round draft picks and let McCarthy start from scratch with a QB who might be a little bit more receptive to being coached.  McCarthy has won multiple games with Matt Flynn and Brett Hundley starting at QB.  I believe he could have done a lot better with another first round talent, and Rodgers could refuse to take what the defense gives him somewhere else and whine and pout at his receivers and offensive line when he stands around for 7 seconds until eventually taking a crippling sack on third down. 

Archived