Growing sense Packers move on from Mike McCarthy End of Season

Nick_gb

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

The Packers have some talented young receivers.  They are bound to make mistakes, but you've got to let them go through the learning process.  This business about Rodgers not being able to trust them shouldn't hold any water when you are losing games.  Someone needs to tell Rodgers that he is the highest paid player in the league and that's part of the reason why the team needs to go with more youth on the roster.  When you are being paid that much, it's up to YOU to work with those inexperienced players and still find a way to win.  Excuses shouldn't cut it when you get the huge contract. 

yeah but hed probably get pissy if someone told him that.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

The Packers have some talented young receivers.  They are bound to make mistakes, but you've got to let them go through the learning process.  This business about Rodgers not being able to trust them shouldn't hold any water when you are losing games.  Someone needs to tell Rodgers that he is the highest paid player in the league and that's part of the reason why the team needs to go with more youth on the roster.  When you are being paid that much, it's up to YOU to work with those inexperienced players and still find a way to win.  Excuses shouldn't cut it when you get the huge contract. 

Whoa we agree on something

Just now, incognito_man said:

Whoa we agree on something

Miracles do happen occasionally.  For what it's worth, I'm with you on keeping McCarthy too.  He's a good coach, and he and Rodgers have proven they can win it all together in the past.  It's a big risk trying to bring in another coach and install a whole new system.  That's going to take time, and the window is limited.  I'd roll the dice with MM and hope I could add more talent to the roster to help the coach and the QB out.

5 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Then bench him until his attitude straightens out.  You have to reign him in somehow.

Have you seen Deshone Kizer play? He's a turnover machine.

He might end up playing later on this year anyways, but that'll be because GB was eliminated from playoff contention and to conserve AR's health.

For what its worth though, what needs to happen for GB to make it in doesn't seem too far fetched. They can't fire McCarthy until they are for sure eliminated.

8 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I can understand if the young WRs aren't where Rodgers is expecting them to be why Rodgers might not trust them when the game is on the line.  Early in his career Devante Adams screwed up too but now he is Rodgers most dependable receiver.  Our problem is Adams is the only veteran WR out there with Rodgers' trust.  Cobb has missed a boat load of games.  Our other vet WR is on IR.  Those here who told us Graham wasn't going to replace Nelson were right.  I'm sure with time Rodgers will click with the young guys but it can be hard to do this on the fly.

If McCarthy and/or his position coach cannot/will not get Rodgers in line then what do you do?  Bench the QB or get someone who will be able to reign in the signal caller?  

6 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Have you seen Deshone Kizer play? He's a turnover machine.

He might end up playing later on this year anyways, but that'll be because GB was eliminated from playoff contention and to conserve AR's health.

For what its worth though, what needs to happen for GB to make it in doesn't seem too far fetched. They can't fire McCarthy until they are for sure eliminated.

I know what you mean about Kizer, but if you are losing with Rodgers anyway, somehow you have to get things turned around.  I'm sure you wouldn't have to bench Rodgers for long for him to realize you mean business. 

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

I can understand if the young WRs aren't where Rodgers is expecting them to be why Rodgers might not trust them when the game is on the line.  Early in his career Devante Adams screwed up too but now he is Rodgers most dependable receiver.  Our problem is Adams is the only veteran WR out there with Rodgers' trust.  Cobb has missed a boat load of games.  Our other vet WR is on IR.  Those here who told us Graham wasn't going to replace Nelson were right.  I'm sure with time Rodgers will click with the young guys but it can be hard to do this on the fly.

If McCarthy and/or his position coach cannot/will not get Rodgers in line then what do you do?  Bench the QB or get someone who will be able to reign in the signal caller?  

It's definitely a tough situation, Pugger.  Personally, I would take the hard line and threaten to bench Rodgers and even go so far as to do it if necessary.  They are paying him more money than any other player in the league, and if you aren't winning games, he needs to realize that something has to change.  A GM would have to have a lot of confidence in his plan to do that, however.  He would no doubt take a lot of heat from the media and fanbase when Kizer goes in and struggles in the meantime.

On 11/28/2018 at 1:32 PM, Broncofan said:

It's unfortunate Cook is the only guy who's attractive.   I hadn't looked at the FA class, because frankly we're in no real position to legitimately contend, so FA TE's don't make a lot of sense (other than trying to cheaply re-sign Jeff Heuermann, which is definitely possible given his season-ending injury - I do like Maxx Williams as a value signing target for move TE's too, FWIW).   I see your point about no great options of at least established vets if it's only Cook and he won't return.   But man, JG looks done.   I get it's only 5M saved - but if you are counting on him to return to even 2017 form...man, that's a path I don't see.  We'll see. 

He's not done.  His number were on pace for his later years with Seattle, which isn't surprising.  He was never going to be the TE he was with New Orleans, because he never was going to get the number of touches he got in New Orleans.  He was the focal point of New Orleans' offense.

On 11/28/2018 at 3:13 PM, childofpudding said:

Why do you think TEs don't tend to have huge years with GB? In the last 25 years, there have been 96 instances of TEs getting 800+ receiving yards in a season, and none of them have been on GB: http://pfref.com/tiny/3gZm6 .

JG, who had five such seasons with NO and SEA, is on pace for about 700 receiving yards this season.

I have no presumptions about why - it's just something I've noticed over the years.

I'm not sure there's a single answer.  That amounts to roughly 12% of TEs over the past 25 years, so it's not like we're talking about a ton of TEs either.  The closest we've had to that impact TE was Jermichael Finley, but injuries cut his season short.  Bubba Franks was the starting TE for a while, and he was an average receiver at best.  Martellus Bennett was a flop.  Jared Cook got off to a slow start because of injury, and we're seeing the transition with Jimmy Graham.  I'd say it's a combination of hard to gain Rodgers' trust, not getting the sheer amount of touches to do so, and injuries.

On 11/25/2018 at 8:53 AM, Pugger said:

I hate to break it to you but if you look at career stats at the NFL website Rodgers has had 100+ QB ratings in 2016 and 2018.  His decent rating this year isn't bringing him wins but to suggest he's not a 100 rated QB since 2015 is incorrect.  Perhaps you should not try so hard to hate the Packers.  

Go here:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RodgAa00.htm

Highlight his 2014 season and then highlight his 2018 season.

The website compiles statistics for this period and his combined rating is 99.1 on every regular season pass thrown between the start of 2015 and now.

Sorry if reality gives you sad feelings.

Apparently tension is growing between Rodgers and McCarthy in Green Bay. Aaron is rolling his eyes after most failed plays and does not look happy with his interactions with McCarthy. There is absolute no doubt in my mind that the one “galvanizing moment” Aaron was talking about was firing McCarthy. He wants it to happen badly.  

I am sure leading his team to 17 points with an option for 20 with a long field goal was yet another epic performance by Rodgers.

Do we blame the kicker and McCarthy and the fans for not yelling loud enough for extra off-sides?

How about the water boy for not keeping Rodgers properly hydrated?

Archived