Growing sense Packers move on from Mike McCarthy End of Season

Nick_gb

51 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Yes but the chances are that someone is going to go after Defilippo to be their head coach.  We pretty much knew that when we hired him.  I agree with you on the continuity, and that is one of the reasons it didn't make a whole lot of sense to bring him for just a one-year rental.  Now our players will have to learn another new offense.  It just stunts player development as far as I'm concerned.

I guess that's the downside to having a defensive head coach

Wouldn't surprise me at all. If your team fails to make the playoffs with an all-time player like Rodgers at QB......you gotta go. Besides, GM's generally like to pick their own staff and those left from last regime are usually put on a very short leash. I know, I know...Ted is still there but he is not the GM anymore.

That said,  I'm still not ruling the possibility of the Packers making the playoffs and if they do make it, I don't think McCarthy goes anywhere.  

Said this very same thing in the off-season.

McCarthy - Possible, but unlikely. If the Packers don't lose Rodgers early in the season and they don't make the playoffs, then he's gone. At the very least, his seat is too hot to even sit on.

6 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

DeFilippo has been OK as an OC in Minnesota, but I wouldn't say he is worthy of all the hype he got last year.  If they want him they can have him.  Pat Shurmur was just as good at the job, IMO.

That was also his 2nd year in PHI and developing Wentz. This is the first year in the system, and his system in CLE and what they ran in PHI was a massively complex offense full of trust throws, reading a lot of leverages, etc (CLE less so due to a complete lack of talent on offensive skill positions). Far more complex than what Shurmur did. I think he would be someone to really develop the offense in two years.

I mean Cousins is still learning it but is on pace to set his career mark for TDs, completion percent, 2nd most yards and lowest INT total since he became a starter. Things aren't perfect but outside of BUF the offense has been scoring pretty well and they lost one game while scoring 30 and tied once while scoring 29. With a Zimmer defense I doubt many would have expected either to happen this year.

13 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Would be a mistake.  Packers should have traded Rodgers when his value was three first round draft picks and let McCarthy start from scratch with a QB who might be a little bit more receptive to being coached.  McCarthy has won multiple games with Matt Flynn and Brett Hundley starting at QB.  I believe he could have done a lot better with another first round talent, and Rodgers could refuse to take what the defense gives him somewhere else and whine and pout at his receivers and offensive line when he stands around for 7 seconds until eventually taking a crippling sack on third down. 

xDxD

McCarthy is not a bad coach, but he is not a great coach either.

His attributes include his consistency and his loyalty to his coaches and players. There has not been much drama over his 13 years in Green Bay of the sort that distracts from the field of play. With McCarthy at the helm the focus in Green Bay has decidedly and appropriately been on the field of play, which with Hall of Fame QBs under center for each and every one of those 13 seasons should be the case.

Of course McCarthy's loyalty also means that he employed a Special Teams coach (Shawn Slocum) whose units were constantly ranked among the worst in the NFL over several years and that focus on loyalty over productivity came back to bite McCarthy when his STs not only gave up a momentum turning fake field goal in the 2014 NFC Championship game in Seattle but also had one of the most infamous on-side kick gaffes ever when Brandon Bostick went rogue and tried and failed to field a kick that was headed right to Jordy Nelson's hands. Slocum was quickly fired after that season and replaced by his assistant Ron Zook. Unfortunately for McCarthy, Zook's units have mostly continued their bad to terrible play including Ty Montgomery's decision, against orders, to return the ball out of the end zone in LA a few weeks ago only to fumble the ball away with 2:00 remaining and thus depriving Aaron Rodgers a chance to drive down and get 3 points in a 29-27 loss to the Rams.

McCarthy also loyally defended his defensive coordinator Dom Capers until he fired him after last season. He did this despite the fact Capers' defenses were either mediocre or, as was often the case, just bad. Tellingly, neither Capers nor Slocum found employment elsewhere in the NFL after they were fired in Green Bay.

However, it must also be remembered that McCarthy was hampered by a GM who was truly awful at his job between 2011 and 2017.

Not many fans outside of Green Bay are aware of it, but the Packers have gone defense with every on of their first picks in the draft every season since 2011. Yes, the Packers who usually field average to below average defenses have been drafting heavily on defense for years now with little or nothing to show for it. Thus, McCarthy whose focus is on the offense has actually done a pretty good job of keeping his side of the ball moving despite the lack of top end draft picks.

Fans elsewhere are also probably unaware that not a single player remains on the Packers roster from the 2015 draft class (and just 3 players remain from the 2013-2015 draft classes). These are the players who should be the heart of your team in the primes of their careers.

Now this horrible drafting record might have been ameliorated with some savvy free agent signings or trades, but not in Green Bay under the previous GM. No, he famously shunned signing veteran free agents from other teams and did not make a single player trade (other than a couple involving conditional 7th round picks that never actually resulted in picks being exchanged) over his last decade as GM.

Hence, not only was McCarthy saddled with a roster riddled with poor draft picks, but he was forced to play these picks because the team's previous GM mostly refused to add talent from outside the draft or undrafted rookie free agents. It is not McCarthy's fault that the roster deteriorated.

Anyway, while things move ever so slowly in Green Bay, after last season Capers was finally fired along with a number of other long time assistant coaches on both sides of the ball.

The organization also finally, finally moved on from the previous GM and replaced him with Brian Gutekunst. Gute has already proven he will not be adopting his predecessor's erroneous ways by, among other things, declaring (and demonstrating) a commitment to adding free agents and making 4 trades involving players (or 4 more than his predecessor made this decade). 

Unfortunately for McCarthy, the transformation in the front office and shakeup to his coaching staff probably came a few years too late and, with more and more pundits and players alike openly questioning his effectiveness, his run as a good but not great coach in Green Bay is likely coming to an end.

18 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

However, since your thread didn't work, you're now pounding the table for him to be traded and for us to keep Mike McCarthy.

Actually, that's all a lie, so... You know... Quit lying.  I want us to keep McCarthy.  Ever since Rodgers signed his extension, I have never seriously suggested trading him.  So maybe I'd take your posts more seriously if you quit lying in them. 

Long longggg overdue. Packers wasting this much of Rodgers career is flat out inexcusable and will go down as one of the biggest blunders in sports history. Ever since 2012 it’s just been constant bad coaching, constant bad draft picks, and just poor teams/coaching around ARod while he limps that team into the playoffs. I would not be shocked if they win the SB their first year without McCarthy. 

Just now, BayRaider said:

Long longggg overdue. Packers wasting this much of Rodgers career is flat out inexcusable and will go down as one of the biggest blunders in sports history. Ever since 2012 it’s just been constant bad coaching, constant bad draft picks, and just poor teams/coaching around ARod while he limps that team into the playoffs. I would not be shocked if they win the SB their first year without McCarthy. 

You do realize Rodgers threw 2 interceptions, completed under 56 percent of his passes and averaged under 5.5 yards per attempt in the 2014 Championship game, right?  Everybody wants to blame his team.  He just flat out sucked that game, too. 

Rodgers has directly contributed to losses on this season, too.  The Detroit game he fumbled twice inside the Lions own 30 yard line.  At Seattle he missed an easy completion, which led to the fourth quarter punt. 

McCarthy also has a 36.11 winning percentage with Flynn, Tolzien, Wallace and Hundley.  Those 4  quarterbacks have a 25 percent winning percentage when starting for other teams.

Belichick has a 45.76 winning percentage with his backup quarterbacks, who have a winning percentage over 49% elsewhere.

People forget that Mike McCarthy turned Brett Favre's career around and coached him to the best season he'd had since the mid-90's.  McCarthy is the coach who got Aaron Rodgers where Aaron is right now. 

Wasting his prime?  Aaron Rodgers is wasting Aaron Rodgers' prime.  He's really not the Aaron Rodgers from 2010-2014.  He is by all accounts an average QB this season, and was an average QB last season, and an average QB the season before.  I don't expect anybody to actually see this just like I don't expect people to start acknowledging that the Patriots have 5 rings more because of Belichick and that defense than because of Brady, but it doesn't mean I won't point these things out. 

Aaron Rodgers has the God-given ability to be the greatest QB this sport has ever seen.  He doesn't use it.  Just like Favre didn't use it.  Aaron's problem is the exact opposite of Favre's problem.  Favre tried to throw the ball through the eye of a needle.  Rodgers doesn't throw the ball through the eye of anything less than 5 yards open and to players he's played with for three years. 

Rodgers is to blame for a lot more than people are willing to blame him for. 

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

You do realize Rodgers threw 2 interceptions, completed under 56 percent of his passes and averaged under 5.5 yards per attempt in the 2014 Championship game, right?  Everybody wants to blame his team.  He just flat out sucked that game, too. 

Rodgers has directly contributed to losses on this season, too.  The Detroit game he fumbled twice inside the Lions own 30 yard line.  At Seattle he missed an easy completion, which led to the fourth quarter punt. 

McCarthy also has a 36.11 winning percentage with Flynn, Tolzien, Wallace and Hundley.  Those 4  quarterbacks have a 25 percent winning percentage when starting for other teams.

Belichick has a 45.76 winning percentage with his backup quarterbacks, who have a winning percentage over 49% elsewhere.

People forget that Mike McCarthy turned Brett Favre's career around and coached him to the best season he'd had since the mid-90's.  McCarthy is the coach who got Aaron Rodgers where Aaron is right now. 

Wasting his prime?  Aaron Rodgers is wasting Aaron Rodgers' prime.  He's really not the Aaron Rodgers from 2010-2014.  He is by all accounts an average QB this season, and was an average QB last season, and an average QB the season before.  I don't expect anybody to actually see this just like I don't expect people to start acknowledging that the Patriots have 5 rings more because of Belichick and that defense than because of Brady, but it doesn't mean I won't point these things out. 

Aaron Rodgers has the God-given ability to be the greatest QB this sport has ever seen.  He doesn't use it.  Just like Favre didn't use it.  Aaron's problem is the exact opposite of Favre's problem.  Favre tried to throw the ball through the eye of a needle.  Rodgers doesn't throw the ball through the eye of anything less than 5 yards open and to players he's played with for three years. 

Rodgers is to blame for a lot more than people are willing to blame him for. 

Has Rodgers ever been put in prime position to win with a Top 10 Defense and HFA in the playoffs? No. Wins are useless, championships matter. You would be giving up on the greatest player in our sport who would probably win multiple championships elsewhere. Plus over ten years as a HC on the same team in the NFL doesn’t work unless you’re that oddity Bill Bellichick. McCarthys play calling is so vanilla and predictable. On a different team he will have to adjust his offense to those players and learns what works and what doesn’t.

A divorce is greatly needed here, we can at least agree on that. I think Rodgers is the clear answer to keep and you will see the Packers excel back to 2011 stardom under a new Head Coach (depending on the hire). 

Just now, BayRaider said:

A divorce is greatly needed here, we can at least agree on that. I think Rodgers is the clear answer to keep and you will see the Packers excel back to 2011 stardom under a new Head Coach (depending on the hire). 

2001 stardom?  Like the year that Aaron Rodgers lost a fumble, threw an interception, completed under 56% of his passes for an average of 5.7 yards per attempt and a 78.5 QB rating in spite of having a damn fine hell of an offensive line, Randall Cobb, Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Jordy Nelson and Jermichael Finley in the divisional round of the playoffs? 

Oh, I'll pass on that stardom, thanks. 

People are gonna be in for a world of hurt when the Packers hire a new head coach and find out that the exact same problems are going to follow Aaron Rodgers. 

Just now, Slinky said:

Amazing he actually typed that, and believes it. 

It's amazing that I believe McCarthy has a 36.11 winning percentage with Flynn, Tolzien, Wallace and Hundley while those 4  quarterbacks have a 25 percent winning percentage when starting for other teams? 

It's amazing to believe in facts?  Huh.  Amazing. 

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

It's amazing that I believe McCarthy has a 36.11 winning percentage with Flynn, Tolzien, Wallace and Hundley while those 4  quarterbacks have a 25 percent winning percentage when starting for other teams? 

It's amazing to believe in facts?  Huh.  Amazing. 

Just when I thought you could get any more ridiculous with your posts, you go and do this. Bravo, bravo. 

Archived