Jimmy Graham

Pugger

18 hours ago, SSG said:

He's going to be back even though I think there are some legit reasons for him not to be. 

-He's a terrible blocker who hurts the run game.  His inability to block makes our offense extremely predictable.  Giving Lewis more snaps on passing downs COULD help our offense.  While he's not going to give you some of the big plays, he's fully capable of giving you the 20 yards a game that Graham gave us in half this season's contests.

- He's going to be 34 next season which isn't a good thing for a guy who already looked like he was playing in slow motion.  

- He's scheduled to be the highest paid TE in the league next year.

- While he was on pace to set a franchise record he did have 5 games with 20 yards or fewer receiving.  That's not exactly getting our money's worth.  

Think they'd only save about 4 million by cutting him which is about half what we'd still have to pay.  He's not going anywhere IMO.

I agree with the post, except for the bolded part.  That is a very, very odd sentence.  I don't know how you aren't getting your money's worth from a guy on pace for the franchise record?  And again, I'd maintain that who really cares about the money.  GB is under the cap, will be under the cap next year and have all the money they need to go after whomever they want, regardless of what they are paying Graham.

Also...I thought it would be unfair to you and your post if I simply deleted all the good points around that one odd sentence.

17 hours ago, PACKRULE said:

It would be nice to see what Tonyan has kid seems to have some size and speed I wouldn't mind getting him a couple targets and seeing what he can do. High percentage stuff some TE screens middle and such maybe the kid can impress.

Mac doesn't run designed plays for MVS, ESB or really anyone outside of a called WR screen.  Can you really see him trying to call pre-planned plays for a rookie TE who is making the conversion from WR after converting from QB?  ...I'm a huge Tonyan fan...but I don't see how our coach would possibly "scheme" to get him open when he doesn't scheme anyone else open.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I agree with the post, except for the bolded part.  That is a very, very odd sentence.  I don't know how you aren't getting your money's worth from a guy on pace for the franchise record?  And again, I'd maintain that who really cares about the money.  GB is under the cap, will be under the cap next year and have all the money they need to go after whomever they want, regardless of what they are paying Graham.

Also...I thought it would be unfair to you and your post if I simply deleted all the good points around that one odd sentence.

Because there is no consistency.  If Nick Perry gets 7 sacks next week it doesn't mean that he's going to be suddenly worth his contract despite technically being a double digit sack guy for 2018.  Jimmy Graham is the highest paid TE in NFL history right now solely because of his impact as a receiver and he's not consistently making an impact.  Given how  inept he is as a blocker for his position, he's been almost useless in half the games this year.

I don't think we'd have the same positive outlook on DA17's contract if he had 5 games this season with just 20 yards receiving.  

19 minutes ago, SSG said:

Because there is no consistency.  If Nick Perry gets 7 sacks next week it doesn't mean that he's going to be suddenly worth his contract despite technically being a double digit sack guy for 2018.  Jimmy Graham is the highest paid TE in NFL history right now solely because of his impact as a receiver and he's not consistently making an impact.  Given how  inept he is as a blocker for his position, he's been almost useless in half the games this year.

I don't think we'd have the same positive outlook on DA17's contract if he had 5 games this season with just 20 yards receiving.  

If his total yard count and TD's were the same?  Yah, I'd think the contract is just fine.  But I"m good agreeing to disagree.

In fact, I don't mind the contracts for DA or JG considering the production from those two.

I think it's a shame that Cobb and Nelson got old at the same time in this offense.  If Cobb could be good, with Davante and Jimmy, this offense might be unstoppable.  Adding GMO would be a nice finishing touch.  

But...Cobb and Nelson got ancient together.  GMO got hurt and here we are.  It is too bad.

9 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

But...Cobb and Nelson got ancient together.  GMO got hurt and here we are.  It is too bad.

Cobb will be 29 in August of 2019. Dont think he's quite reached the "NFL ancient" level. 

Wonder....is there a data source which indicates the average / median age of WRs (or position groups) in the NFL?
I know "30" is the generalized age thats bantered about by the public - but whats the real / calculated number?

On 11/17/2018 at 12:13 PM, Packerraymond said:

Then you had false expectations from the start. Graham's mismatch is his size. Rodgers and Mac didn't utilitize it nearly enough. I'm over the Graham, Bennett, Gronk, Kelce "physical beasts" TEs. Mac and Rodgers don't know how to use them. This offense needs a Vernon Davis, Evan Engram, Jermichael Finley, move TE. A guy that creates separation. Because we don't trust these physical freaks to use their size and make plays and that's a total waste.

We had a guy named Jared Cook once. 

31 minutes ago, Leader said:

Cobb will be 29 in August of 2019. Dont think he's quite reached the "NFL ancient" level. 

Wonder....is there a data source which indicates the average / median age of WRs (or position groups) in the NFL?
I know "30" is the generalized age thats bantered about by the public - but whats the real / calculated number?

I'd opine that he is ancient.  He's aged quicker than most.  His 29 is more like another guys 34.

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'd opine that he is ancient.  He's aged quicker than most.  His 29 is more like another guys 34.

Thats fine. Not a problem - more interested in the latter portion of the comment: what is the average age of WRs in the NFL?

Archived