Preseason, Week 3: 49ers (1-0) at VIKINGS (1-1)

swede700

Game 3

NFL_49ers.gifatNFL_Vikings_zpsce61d576.gif    

When:  8:00 PM EST August 27th

Where: U.S. Bank Stadium (Minneapolis, MN)

TV/Radio: NBC (TV), KFAN 100.3 (Radio);

Announcers: Al Michaels, Cris Collinsworth, Michele Tafoya

Coverage Map:  National

Notable Injuries:

Vikings - Questionable: None, Doubtful: None, Out: None

49ers - Questionable: None, Doubtful: None, Out: None 

Please keep all discussion about the game here.

45eKVOg.gif

20 hours ago, Purplexing said:

Beating SF may give a false impression that things are going well... although they may not be.

But, fortunately, vids reviewed by coaches will point to any flaws hidden by the outcome vs. a bottom of the league team.

I really don't believe any preseason games give completely false or positive impressions.

I'm not going to get very excited or very disappointed with anything with the first team starters only playing a couple drives. They are not running anything special that they are worried about other teams seeing them be used in the regular season. They run many of the same passing plays, and running plays from base formations. 

Basically the only thing I get from these preseason games is being able to see some of the later depth players trying to earn their way onto a roster. A dive into Bowser, Kearse, Wilson, and many of the other guys trying to do everything they can to make a team.

I do realize the starters may play a bit more this game, but I am still yet to show much enthusiasm either way, win or lose. I just enjoy watching football.

24 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I really don't believe any preseason games give completely false or positive impressions.

I'm not going to get very excited or very disappointed with anything with the first team starters only playing a couple drives. They are not running anything special that they are worried about other teams seeing them be used in the regular season. They run many of the same passing plays, and running plays from base formations. 

Basically the only thing I get from these preseason games is being able to see some of the later depth players trying to earn their way onto a roster. A dive into Bowser, Kearse, Wilson, and many of the other guys trying to do everything they can to make a team.

I do realize the starters may play a bit more this game, but I am still yet to show much enthusiasm either way, win or lose. I just enjoy watching football.

I agree with your observations/ insight.   Pre-season is a way to chose a roster and set a depth chart.  I'm just pointing to the lower level of competition as potentially biasing the grading of the performance of Vikings players.  With observant coaches, that won't happen, but some less informed fans might read too much into a strong performance by the Vikings.  Seeing your insights into pro and collegiate players, I don't put you in that category.  The performance of individual players might be biased by a significantly weaker opposing player; e.g. Vikes OT vs. SF DE, more so than units; e.g. Vikes Offense #2 vs. SF Defense #2.

2 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

The performance of individual players might be biased by a significantly weaker opposing player; e.g. Vikes OT vs. SF DE, more so than units; e.g. Vikes Offense #2 vs. SF Defense #2.

Might sound crazy to some but this actually might be one of the Vikings toughest tasks of the preseason for the offensive line.

This Sunday they will be going up against players like Arik Armstead, DeForest Buckner, Solomon Thomas, Ahmad Brooks, Navarro Bowman, and Rueben Foster. Their depth is also very solid with Elvis Dumervil, Chris Jones, DJ Jones, and Brock Coyle.

Some of the more intriguing match-up with this amount of speed and strength. If we can get something of a running game going this week, I actually believe it will be a huge step forward. Really the only aspect of the game I may be interested in even if they aren't running complex plays or formations.

Side Note: We get to see the return of Brandon Fusco to Minnesota. Hopefully we eat him up.

7 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

Excited to finally see Treadwell go against some live competition.  Perhaps he will get a full three quarters for some more reps

Honestly, he needs to play as much of the game as possible to make the best impression he can, not just on the fans, but the coaching staff. His injury woes along with minimal production keeps him trending towards "bust" and if he doesn't show value this season, I think he could easily be a fringe player on the roster this time next year. With players selected lower in the draft, like Coley, showing possible dividends, the team could easily look in another direction next year if he doesn't prove his worth sooner than later.

Archived