Preseason Week 2 - Chiefs vs Bengals

Webmaster

much to be glad for when you win big..

PMII continues to impress. Marvelous pocket presence. Seems to have developed a rapport with D.Harris. Then I watched Bray and realize just how poor his development's progressed.

Hunt looks good. Nice hands. Spiller actually impressed tonite. West benefits from a poor Cincy defense that overplayed 50yd. worth to West's credit. I don't count that. But yeah, West is feeling the heat as cutdown time approaches.

D.Thomas sparkled and I haven't said that in long time. Caught 3/4 passes.

Defense looked tough with few exceptions. Can we please stop trying to play/justify P.Gaines? What is this? Does he have locker room magic or something? Because I don't see much good translating to the field.

Eligwe sparkled. 2TFL and a sack. He flew in from nowhere for that sack (ala DJ).

Bausby looked decent (although he got burned on one long pass for a no-TD call)

TK at end? This guy is tough. The poor RT got stood up and pushed back nearly every play. When TK figures things out, oh boy.

Lots of good film for the coaches to digest. Cut down won't be easy.

11 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

I am hoping this one does not do it often.

J

The only reason you don't do it is because you a) can't escape the rush and b) don't have the arm strength for it.

Even Mike Vick said that Mahomes can throw passes on the run that even he couldn't do.

One thing I didn't like very much is the #2 OL. When they came in Mahomes seemed to run for his life nearly each snap. Especially the LT was weak - think it was Jah Reid. Swing Tackle is definitely something the Chiefs should have a close look at come cutdown day.

10 hours ago, Chiefer said:

The only reason you don't do it is because you a) can't escape the rush and b) don't have the arm strength for it.

Even Mike Vick said that Mahomes can throw passes on the run that even he couldn't do.

Generally, the reason you do it is because the play fell apart. I want to see that a minimum number of times. I particularly am wary of it happening before the play fell apart.

All that said, nothing demoralizes a defense like almost getting a big play but giving one up instead. 

There is nothing wrong with Jah Reid, so long as you understand he is a severely limited, fringe quality player.

J

2 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

There is nothing wrong with Jah Reid, so long as you understand he is a severely limited, fringe quality player.

J

He's pretty awful at tackle, whether you're looking at him being limited or not.  Not too mention his contract.

They definitely should be on the lookout for a swing tackle.

As for Reid,  ad soon as Ehinger is healthy, he can be shown the door.  I'd rather take my chances with Wittzman filling in at tackle than Reid.

1 hour ago, mayanfootball said:

They can help each other with their luggage.

Sadly both are still better than Battle.  

I will say it is nice to really only be worrying about the Swing tackle on the OL,  first string has looked very good.

Fulton and Ehinger are good enough depth along the interior also

From reading your guys comments, I think I already know the answer but I'll ask anyway.  Chris Smith has looked x100 times better than our 'starting' RDE Michael Johnson (not exactly a tough feat).  Do you think I shouldn't be encouraged much at all about what he did against you guys because your backup OTs aren't exactly the best?  Or do you think he balled out and made them look worse than usual?  Here are some clips of him from the game to add some context:

The guy he was beating was noone less than Donald Hawkins. Donald who?? Exactly. Watching those plays again I think Hawkins has the incredible mobility of Mount Everest combined with the strength of my 3 year old niece ... should have been waived five minutes after the game.

On 8/20/2017 at 11:10 PM, samsel23 said:

He's pretty awful at tackle, whether you're looking at him being limited or not.  Not too mention his contract.

They definitely should be on the lookout for a swing tackle.

As for Reid,  ad soon as Ehinger is healthy, he can be shown the door.  I'd rather take my chances with Wittzman filling in at tackle than Reid.

Ehinger is healthy now, or off PUP at least.

J

On 8/21/2017 at 1:53 PM, TheVillain112 said:

From reading your guys comments, I think I already know the answer but I'll ask anyway.  Chris Smith has looked x100 times better than our 'starting' RDE Michael Johnson (not exactly a tough feat).  Do you think I shouldn't be encouraged much at all about what he did against you guys because your backup OTs aren't exactly the best?  Or do you think he balled out and made them look worse than usual?  Here are some clips of him from the game to add some context:

Were it actually Jah Reid as a few posters thought, I would say it's impressive, because he's not bad. But, this wasn't even really a backup OT. Donald Hawkins would be roughly our 5th player to normally go into the game at LT (Fisher starts, Reid's the backup swing tackle, Witzman would be moved to LT if both were down, and Devey is our actual listed backup LT right now.) So Donald Hawkins is basically one of those guys just on the roster to take snaps. As one of the posters above said, it is encouraging for you, because your DE did what he should have done, embarrassing a lesser player. But the LT in question is also just that bad.

Archived