Alex Smith requires emergency surgery; recovery time 6-8 months

naptownskinsfan

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Actually Alex was the starter for 1/2 the season and they were 6-2. I think Alex actually won more games that he started that season than Kap. 

So what's the plan, have Alex Smith start half a season for us?  

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

anyways, I’m done with this topic before I get banned for feeling what I really think.

Of course you're done with it, you argument makes no sense.  

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Actually Alex was the starter for 1/2 the season and they were 6-2. I think Alex actually won more games that he started that season than Kap. 

anyways, I’m done with this topic before I get banned for feeling what I really think. 

No one is gonna ban you unless you break Webby's rules. Feel what you want. Think what you want. Just don't break the rules on the site ;)

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

So don’t keep Scherff & Ioannidis?

I can NOT get on board with that! No way!

Next year we are going to have a new - hopefully upgrade - at LG through the draft or with Cooper the entire season. Our young defensive players will have another year of development and we’ll add more talent through the draft.

I don’t think we can tank w/o cutting everyone who’s average or better on our team - or not re-signing them - I just don’t think it happens. 

Even if Colt is our QB for most of the season next year, or a rookie that beats him out, I think we’re a 5 to 8 win team, especially if Guice comes back healthy and we re-sign Peterson. We can use those two as a one-two punch and run the ball 30-35 times a game the way the Titans did with Henry & Murray a few years ago.

Bottomline, we haven’t built a great team over the last 5 years, but we’ve drafted well enough and built a good enough - mostly young - team so, I just don’t see this team being able to totally tank to the point where they only win 1 to 3 games next year.

No. Get rid of guys like Norman, Reed, Brown, and yes even TWill. You clear out as much space while retaining young talent (so re-sign Scherff and Greek but not if they want to break the bank).

41 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

No. Get rid of guys like Norman, Reed, Brown, and yes even TWill. You clear out as much space while retaining young talent (so re-sign Scherff and Greek but not if they want to break the bank).

Trent Williams deserves the chance to be on a winner. I would be willing to bet we could’ve got a first from New England a couple years ago for him. But they’ll just let Kerrigan and Williams trade value die and then lose them for nothing like normal. 

18 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

No one is gonna ban you unless you break Webby's rules. Feel what you want. Think what you want. Just don't break the rules on the site ;)

Well the way the conversation was going with MKnight, I was getting to the point that Inwas going to say something that was going to ban me. So yeah, I’m not doing that again.

On 12/10/2018 at 7:32 AM, turtle28 said:

I don’t really care that you criticize any move the front office or coaching staff makes. What I don’t like is that you aren’t open minded enough to give a move a chance of succeeding. I’d rather see it fail before I totally kill the move.

When I have been wrong (Montae Nicholson), I have admitted it.

The problem is that I haven't been that wrong because I have been betting on the track record.

I don't assume that just because the guy puts on a burgundy and gold jersey that his past magically disappears.

For example, w/ Alex Smith the team was 6-3 and with most of the same players except for him we are 0-4, I don’t think that’s a coincidence and I don’t care if people disagree with me about it or not.

1. Technically, they were 6-4 with Smith. The Houston loss gets charged to him since he was the starter. Not fair, you say? Yeah, because wins suck as a marker of a quarterback's performance.
  2. Is Smith a good luck troll whose the players rubbed? Is his disappearance the reason that Clinton-Dix cannot take good routes? Or Norman cannot tackle (you have been right on that one)? That the linebackers cannot cover anything underneath, or wrap up players on first contact? Or that the run defense has all but evaporated?

When they were playing teams with Alex Smith, they were winning because yes, he didn't turn the ball over, but also because the defense was playing so stout.

Once they were down 10-0 against Houston in the first quarter, I chalked it up as a loss because I knew that Smith could not lead them back. When McCoy came in, you could suddenly see that the offense could stretch the field a bit.

TL;DR version: correlation =/= causation

We all know Alex isn’t an All-Pro QB, but he is a good QB who’s an All-Pro leader of men and people follow him. He was the glue that held this team together and since his leg snapped is half, this team has seeming fallen apart worse and worse week by week.

From where I sit, that is an indictment of the coaching staff, not a compliment of Smith.

Olson: Alex Smith, who has gone through so much in his career, starting with the 49ers, has an entire league pulling for him now  

https://theathletic.com/701817/2018/12/09/olson-alex-smith-who-has-gone-through-so-much-in-his-career-starting-with-the-49ers-has-an-entire-league-pulling-for-him-now/

Why wouldn't other players pull for him? He just had a potential career ending injury.

I never once advocated for him to get hurt. I never want to see any player get hurt (well ... Reuben Foster ... no, not even him, but I had to think about it for a second).

At the same time, I saw him for who he was: an okay QB who would never take a risk with the ball even when risks were called for/demanded due to the time and situation in the game. If the Redskins were leading, then Smith was a perfectly acceptable QB. If they were losing, they were screwed with him at the helm.

5 hours ago, Woz said:

When I have been wrong (Montae Nicholson), I have admitted it.

The problem is that I haven't been that wrong because I have been betting on the track record.

I don't assume that just because the guy puts on a burgundy and gold jersey that his past magically disappears.

1. Technically, they were 6-4 with Smith. The Houston loss gets charged to him since he was the starter. Not fair, you say? Yeah, because wins suck as a marker of a quarterback's performance.
  2. Is Smith a good luck troll whose the players rubbed? Is his disappearance the reason that Clinton-Dix cannot take good routes? Or Norman cannot tackle (you have been right on that one)? That the linebackers cannot cover anything underneath, or wrap up players on first contact? Or that the run defense has all but evaporated?

When they were playing teams with Alex Smith, they were winning because yes, he didn't turn the ball over, but also because the defense was playing so stout.

Once they were down 10-0 against Houston in the first quarter, I chalked it up as a loss because I knew that Smith could not lead them back. When McCoy came in, you could suddenly see that the offense could stretch the field a bit.

TL;DR version: correlation =/= causation

From where I sit, that is an indictment of the coaching staff, not a compliment of Smith.

Why wouldn't other players pull for him? He just had a potential career ending injury.

I never once advocated for him to get hurt. I never want to see any player get hurt (well ... Reuben Foster ... no, not even him, but I had to think about it for a second).

At the same time, I saw him for who he was: an okay QB who would never take a risk with the ball even when risks were called for/demanded due to the time and situation in the game. If the Redskins were leading, then Smith was a perfectly acceptable QB. If they were losing, they were screwed with him at the helm.

Hmmm...you don't say!! 

On 12/10/2018 at 1:25 PM, Thaiphoon said:

That’s a no from me on TWill and Reed. The rest can be cut as far as I’m concerned, but not TWill & Reed. I especially want TWill to retire as a Redskin, and currently the most fun guy to watch on our offense in the passing game is Reed, I personally want him to retire as a Redskin too. Which, could be sooner than we think because of his toe issues. I definitely think he could retire at the age of 30.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

That’s a no from me on TWill and Reed. The rest can be cut as far as I’m concerned, but not TWill & Reed. I especially want TWill to retire as a Redskin, and currently the most fun guy to watch on our offense in the passing game is Reed, I personally want him to retire as a Redskin too. Which, could be sooner than we think because of his toe issues. I definitely think he could retire at the age of 30.

How is Reed fun to watch? He runs the wrong routes and then gets hurt.

On 12/10/2018 at 1:34 PM, MikeT14 said:

How high of a draft pick would we be willing to give up to dump Alex Smith's contract in a trade? Would we even do it? Just food for thought.

I would be interested in this option if we were going to Move on from Gruden. Trade him like The texans did and use that money to upgrade the line for whoever the new Coach drafts.

52 minutes ago, Slateman said:

How is Reed fun to watch? He runs the wrong routes and then gets hurt.

He’s the only reliable target we have. 54 receptions in the 12 games he finished this year which is about 5 receptions a game. 

If we can’t replace him, we should keep him. No point in making more holes on our team.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

He’s the only reliable target we have. 54 receptions in the 12 games he finished this year which is about 5 receptions a game. 

If we can’t replace him, we should keep him. No point in making more holes on our team.

Jordan Reed is a guaranteed hole in our lineup for 4+ games as is.

Archived