Alex Smith requires emergency surgery; recovery time 6-8 months

naptownskinsfan

23 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Does this make him expendable now? Anything in his contract about cutting him after a year?

Unfortunately, I believe he’s less expendable now than he was before he got hurt. 

I’ve been saying since the contract was signed that I thought there was at least a “tolerable” out in his contract after this season. His 2020 salary becomes guaranteed a few days after the start of the 2019 league year. Which means that if we cut him prior to that, especially if we designated it a June 1 cut, it actually wouldn’t really cost us anything additional against our cap — he’d count as $20Mish dead cap in both 2019 and 2020 in place of his $20Mish cap number. And the 2021 and 2022 cap numbers would be cleared off the books entirely.

However (and I’m not 100% certain on how this works), I believe a larger amount of his salary is “guaranteed for injury” than is fully guaranteed. I don’t think we can get out that easily if he’s injured and not cleared to play by then.

10 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Unfortunately, I believe he’s less expendable now than he was before he got hurt. 

I’ve been saying since the contract was signed that I thought there was at least a “tolerable” out in his contract after this season. His 2020 salary becomes guaranteed a few days after the start of the 2019 league year. Which means that if we cut him prior to that, especially if we designated it a June 1 cut, it actually wouldn’t really cost us anything additional against our cap — he’d count as $20Mish dead cap in both 2019 and 2020 in place of his $20Mish cap number. And the 2021 and 2022 cap numbers would be cleared off the books entirely.

However (and I’m not 100% certain on how this works), I believe a larger amount of his salary is “guaranteed for injury” than is fully guaranteed. I don’t think we can get out that easily if he’s injured and not cleared to play by then.

By the start of the season? If that is the deadline, then no. He won't be. I'll be shocked beyond belief if he is. 

1 hour ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

The first INT was on Reed, as Trent Green explained multiple times. The 2nd pick was bad but didn’t really cost us. Alex’s receivers deserve much more of the blame this game than Alex himself. 

When did Trent get our playbook? Reed ran a route stopped and turned. Alex threw as he thought he was breaking. Reed threw his hands up as if Alex mistook the route he was running.

They probably ran the play a 100 times this year in practice. Alex having to know what everyone is doing, Reed only having to know his specific route. To say its on Reed as if he didnt know a play designed for him, I just dont buy it. Even for a UF product.

8 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

When did Trent get our playbook? Reed ran a route stopped and turned. Alex threw as he thought he was breaking. Reed threw his hands up as if Alex mistook the route he was running.

They probably ran the play a 100 times this year in practice. Alex having to know what everyone is doing, Reed only having to know his specific route. To say its on Reed as if he didnt know a play designed for him, I just dont buy it. Even for a UF product.

Yup. I've seen that route a million times in the same area of the field too. I'm almost 100% positive this was on Smith.

I’ve always liked Colt McCoy. He’s a firey leader and players will run through brick walls for him because he’ll do it for them. 

I can totally see McCoy taking advantage of this opportunity but I can see him failing too. It’s an enigma with him, as someone else said he’s had mostly sporadic play his entire career.

Although, he has shown signs of catching his stride only to have injuries derail those years.

Hopefully, he plays smart and takes care of himself. He usually makes smart decisions with the ball but also isn’t afraid to take some risks.

We’ll see what happens, but I expect our passing game to be more in sync because outside of VD, Colt has played with the other receiving options longer than Alex and Colt knows the offense as well as anyone except Gruden.

4 minutes ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

Redskins are bringing in TJ Yates, Mark Sanchez and EJ Manuel tomorrow. Ugh,none of guys are decent backups. I'd rather sign Bradford.

Bradford probably wants too much $. Out of that group, I hope they go with TJ Yates. He had some success as a rookie or 2nd year player for the Texans after Schaub got hurt. 

I don't want a game manager at QB. I want a guy familiar with the West Coast offense Jay calls and has a chance to catch on quit just in case McCoy was to get hurt. Even if Colt wasn't to get hurt he'd know the offense and be a possible piece in going into next year as a backup or Colts pressure to play well. From what I see alot of guys on this form don't want a Super Bowl aka SB but just want to make the playoffs witch is sad and what I would change as a Owner if given the opportunity.

Archived