Alex Smith requires emergency surgery; recovery time 6-8 months

naptownskinsfan

Sorry for the injury, that sucks. I like Alex Smith and his story. Seems like a good dude. My question is: Why was the surgery emergency? I can speculate, but didnt know if you guys had an answer.

I saw the post about cutting him. Its unlikely that you will be able to without a settlement. Typically you cant cut injured players and he will likely be on the roster (IR) Week 1 next year, which guarantees his salary. 

49 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Sorry for the injury, that sucks. I like Alex Smith and his story. Seems like a good dude. My question is: Why was the surgery emergency? I can speculate, but didnt know if you guys had an answer.

I saw the post about cutting him. Its unlikely that you will be able to without a settlement. Typically you cant cut injured players and he will likely be on the roster (IR) Week 1 next year, which guarantees his salary. 

His next year salary is guaranteed regardless I think.

I think when you snap both bones in two like that its a pretty big emergency. My mom told me she had a friend snap his when young while surfing and he died from it because of the time it took to get him to hospital. Arteries damaged and such I guess. 

7 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

BTW- apparently the Smith leg injury happened 33 years to the day after Theismann had his leg broken in a similar play.

Oh, that is true, but it gets better. 

-Final game score was 23-21 

-Romeo Crennel was on the sidelines for both injuries 

-Both in the twilight of their careers- Smith is 34, Theismann was 35 

-Joe Jacoby missed the game for Theismann with an injury, and Trent Williams missed this game

-53 NFL games have finished with the 23-21 score, three of which the Redskins participated in. Those three games all occurred on November 18th. 

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

There is the risk that arteries could be cut/sliced/damaged, as well as the risk of infection.  I'm actually surprised that he looked as composed as he did riding out of the stadium on the cart.  It might've still been some adrenaline, but I'd probably have passed out.  

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

There is the risk that arteries could be cut/sliced/damaged, as well as the risk of infection.  I'm actually surprised that he looked as composed as he did riding out of the stadium on the cart.  It might've still been some adrenaline, but I'd probably have passed out.  

He was probably in shock. It is a shame, everyone's killing but I think it was Smith's best game as a Skin so far. He was finally pushing it down the field and trying to hit WR's in the intermediate but he had some brutal drops that really killed him.

I'm not super worried about Colt. He'll probably be as he always was. He'll put up points and turn it over more than we like but it should be more interesting than Alex was at QB. My only real worry is that this kinda means we're stuck with Alex regardless unless they can come up with some injury settlement that doesn't put us in Cap Hell. Shaff-God, we need you.

7 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Then he's not capable IMHO.

I like smart QBs

Well in that way I guess, but he does have all the tools and physical gifts to be a good QB. His arm talent is off the charts. With Gruden being some what of a QB whisper, maybe he can get something out of Jones that the Bills and Chargers haven’t so far in his career.

42 minutes ago, Brian23 said:

He was probably in shock. It is a shame, everyone's killing but I think it was Smith's best game as a Skin so far. He was finally pushing it down the field and trying to hit WR's in the intermediate but he had some brutal drops that really killed him.

I'm not super worried about Colt. He'll probably be as he always was. He'll put up points and turn it over more than we like but it should be more interesting than Alex was at QB. My only real worry is that this kinda means we're stuck with Alex regardless unless they can come up with some injury settlement that doesn't put us in Cap Hell. Shaff-God, we need you.

Definitely could be shock, when I dislocated my knee cap those 3 times, the immediate pain In unbearable but then it’s like you kind of get used to it 5 or 10 minutes later and you just want it to end but you can tolerate I guess even though your leg is facing the wrong direction and you ligaments are being stretched.

Maybe that’s the shock that kicks in, I don’t know, but it’s like your body copes with it or whatever. It’s hard to explain.

5 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Oh, that is true, but it gets better. 

-Final game score was 23-21 

-Romeo Crennel was on the sidelines for both injuries 

-Both in the twilight of their careers- Smith is 34, Theismann was 35 

-Joe Jacoby missed the game for Theismann with an injury, and Trent Williams missed this game

-53 NFL games have finished with the 23-21 score, three of which the Redskins participated in. Those three games all occurred on November 18th. 

Holly shnikies! I have to say, you’re a great poster. You and a few others who are new and have joined the board and are being relatively active have been great.

I hope you stay active I, and I’m sure others, enjoy your posts, opinions and knowledge!

6 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

His next year salary is guaranteed regardless I think.

I think when you snap both bones in two like that its a pretty big emergency. My mom told me she had a friend snap his when young while surfing and he died from it because of the time it took to get him to hospital. Arteries damaged and such I guess. 

I had a friend in middle school/high school that snapped both like Joe Theismann. Everyone was so freaked out because his leg just flopped around. He got it fixed, but was never the same. He walks with a little bit of a limp now.

Alex Smith's contract gives him plenty of protection. The contract is guaranteed for injury. If Smith can’t play, the Redskins still have to absorb the guaranteed cap charges of his contract.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/18/alex-smiths-contract-gives-him-plenty-of-protection/ 

The contract extension Smith signed after being traded from Washington had a total injury guarantee of $71 million. He’ll make every penny of that even if he can’t continue to play.

Although, at the time of signing, only the amounts that are fully guaranteed matter, the injury guarantee provides security against a worst-case scenario that rarely happens.

For Smith, that may not happen; he may be good to go by next year. But if for some reason he’s not, he’ll get the full $71 million.

Of course, that wouldn’t be good for Washington, since they’d have to pay Smith (and absorb the cap charge) and find another quarterback. But that’s part of the price that a team pays when paying a quarterback big money. Given the guarantees that are no required, the team assumes the risk that the quarterback eventually won’t be able to play.

They keep throwing the number around but don't say what years/how it pans out. I'm also curious if the Injury Guarantee changes if he decides to retire. I bet he'd be physically fit sometime next year and able to be "cleared" but that doesn't mean he can play. Is he gonna just sit and try to milk IR until then or does him retiring make the injury guarantee kick in?

I'm mostly used to hockey where the guy's injury guarantee is that they just stay on the roster and never play again, retiring would change/offset what/how they get their money.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Alex Smith's contract gives him plenty of protection. The contract is guaranteed for injury. If Smith can’t play, the Redskins still have to absorb the guaranteed cap charges of his contract.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/18/alex-smiths-contract-gives-him-plenty-of-protection/ 

Bruce Allen is the gift that keeps on giving.

Archived