Alex Smith requires emergency surgery; recovery time 6-8 months

naptownskinsfan

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Eh, this guy isn’t projecting the salary cap to go up like he should be. This will happen this year by $10 to 14 million and then it going up by that much again in 2020. It’s already been reported the salary cap this offseason will go up to $187 to 191 million and seeing as the cap goes up about $10 million each offseason, the salary cap will be over $200 million in 2020.

At the worst kicking the money in Smith’s contract allows me to use around 13% of my salary cap for the next three years on Smith...

I just don’t know how he gets this and this is seems to be not just the % of the cap for next season, but he must mean the average % of what the cap would be over the next three seasons if the team kicks the can down the road which, I think is very foolish.

Anyways, it’s pretty simple.

2019: Divide $20.4/$191 million = 10.67%

2020: $21.4/$201 million = 10.64%

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Eh, this guy isn’t projecting the salary cap to go up like he should be. This will happen this year by $10 to 14 million and then it going up by that much again in 2020. It’s already been reported the salary cap this offseason will go up to $187 to 191 million and seeing as the cap goes up about $10 million each offseason, the salary cap will be over $200 million in 2020.

I just don’t know how he gets this and this is seems to be not just the % of the cap for next season, but he must mean the average % of what the cap would be over the next three seasons if the team kicks the can down the road which, I think is very foolish.

Anyways, it’s pretty simple.

2019: Divide $20.4/$191 million = 10.67%

2020: $21.4/$201 million = 10.64%

The idea in the OTC article is to convert Smith's 2019 guaranteed salary into a signing bonus and amortize it over the next three years in order to give the Redskins flexibility this year. That would boost his cap numbers down the line (and then gamble that there is a cap-less year with the CBA negotiations that you can use to dump him).

Of course, Washington got smacked around the last time they tried to dump cap in a capless year. I suppose it's possible the NFLPA fights a collusion case this time around, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Regardless, there's going to be a substantial penalty. It just comes down as to how Washington wants to eat it.

Archived