Alex Smith requires emergency surgery; recovery time 6-8 months

naptownskinsfan

9 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Pretty easily, you re-sign Preston Smith and let Crowder walk because Quinn can probably replace him.

Preston Smith isn’t worth the contract he will demand. You cut ties with him at the end of the year. All LB positions are a need. We have to upgrade Foster’s spot and Smith’s spot the most. 

Crowder is far less expendable than Smith. As much as I like Trey Quinn, he is unknown.

6 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Preston Smith disappears way too much to merit a big contract. You can go full games forgetting he's on the field.

Exactly, the only consistent thing about Smith is that he is inconsistent.  I'd rather let him walk and see what we've got in Ryan Anderson at this point, because we are going to be hamstrung with the Smith contract and the uncertainty surrounding his future.  The league pays pass-rushers a premium, so let Smith go to someone who wants to pay him.  

On 11/21/2018 at 7:06 PM, TheGreeK1973 said:

And Hind sight being 20/20 it should have been.  We had no business trading Fuller and our 3rd for a 34 year old QB and paying him this crazy money.  This mistake by the FO (most likely Bruce Allen) will cost us dearly in the next couple of years.

Some of us called it at the time.

On 11/22/2018 at 2:42 AM, turtle28 said:

Lastly, you can wake up from that dream you’re having, Bruce isn’t going to be gone. Dan has continuously given Bruce everything he’s wanted since he hired Bruce at the end of the 09 season.

So, in my eyes, Dan loves Bruce and he sees the Allen family as Redskins royalty. Dan also likes it that he can be in the background and have someone like Bruce, Jay and to a lesser extent Doug, always be out front taking the media hits. Bruce takes the heat for Dan and Dan likes that. I don’t think Bruce is going anywhere as long as the team is competitive. I think it’s a pipe dream that he’s gone.

This is quite concise and insightful, turtle.

I just hope you remember this the next time I criticize a move the front office makes. While their drafting has improved over the past couple of years, their free agent acquisitions have been dubious at best. Just like you evaluated the track record of Bruce's moves, evaluate the full track record of the players, not just the last year.

On 11/22/2018 at 9:12 AM, lavar703 said:

When Mackenzie is fired this off-season in Oakland and Bruce joins Jon then I’ll say I told you so. The team isn’t going to lose Kyle Smith the way they lost McVay and if AJ is anything like his father he’s not going to stand for being named a faux GM. Bruce is gone after this season. 

ohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease ... Santa, I've been a good mod, right? Please can I have this happen?

On 11/22/2018 at 5:22 PM, Thaiphoon said:

@turtle28, you realize you're not posting in the GDT??

On 11/22/2018 at 5:23 PM, turtle28 said:

No I didn’t! 😂 Thanks Thai. Too much wine at lunch I guess.

I very nicely moved all of the posts over to the GDT.

You can thank me later.

On 11/24/2018 at 10:34 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

If he goes 4-1 or 3-2 the rest of the way, there won't be a shortage of interest.  Any team looking for a stop-gap will be all over it.  Redskins would be wise to pick up the option or whatever it is

Maybe.

Of course, guys like Jameis Winston and Joe Flacco could be hitting the market as well, if their teams decide to move on.

On 11/25/2018 at 1:10 PM, e16bball said:

You have some exceptions (Wilson, Cousins, Flacco, Dalton I guess), but for the most part you’re not getting much QB depth in the draft anymore. 

Wilson fell down solely due to size. Flacco because he played at Delaware (I-AA (no it is NOT the FCS and stop trying to make that a thing)). Dalton due to come from a "system" in TCU (now, since it is more common, it is less of an issue). Cousins ... I don't recall why he fell.

Still, all four of those guys were 2012 or earlier. Your point about them dissecting QBs to death is on point.

9 minutes ago, Woz said:

(I-AA (no it is NOT the FCS and stop trying to make that a thing)).

Side note...

Yes it is a thing. Just like FBS is "a thing"

The FC stands for Football Championship

Its the only true football championship in Division 1 college ball today. Top 24 teams all get a shot at the title. They play for  5 weeks. Just like any true championship should.

Not like that farce in FBS where only the top 4 teams get a shot and they play two measly extra games. 

Okay...I now return you all to your topic.

4 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Side note...

Yes it is a thing. Just like FBS is "a thing"

The FC stands for Football Championship

Its the only true football championship in Division 1 college ball today. Top 24 teams all get a shot at the title. They play for  5 weeks. Just like any true championship should.

Not like that farce in FBS where only the top 4 teams get a shot and they play two measly extra games. 

Okay...I now return you all to your topic.

It is I-AA football. FBS isn't a thing either. That's I-A.

End of story. You cannot tell me otherwise.

tenor.gif

7 hours ago, Woz said:

Maybe.

Of course, guys like Jameis Winston and Joe Flacco could be hitting the market as well, if their teams decide to move on.

Not to mention younger guys with a little upside left in them like Derek Carr, Blake Bortles, and Teddy Bridgewater. And of course other retreads like Bradford, Fitzpatrick, Tyrod, Osweiler, etc. I can’t imagine he’ll be anywhere near the top of anyone’s target list for starting QB, even as a stopgap.

Colt’s value to us is that he knows the offense forward and backward. That’s important in a backup. But on talent and ability (and potential), he’s just another guy. I’d argue he’s probably closer to overpaid than underpaid. And if someone else wants to give him a good-sized contract to be even a stopgap starter? I’d shake his hand, congratulate him, and run to the bank with my comp pick. 

7 hours ago, Woz said:

Maybe.

Wilson fell down solely due to size. Flacco because he played at Delaware (I-AA (no it is NOT the FCS and stop trying to make that a thing)). Dalton due to come from a "system" in TCU (now, since it is more common, it is less of an issue). Cousins ... I don't recall why he fell.

Still, all four of those guys were 2012 or earlier. Your point about them dissecting QBs to death is on point.

Honestly, even those 4 guys we’re referring to as successes, Wilson is really the only one who isn’t basically a fool’s gold starter. He’s a true Pro Bowl (and beyond) level QB, a truly championship caliber QB. 

I know Flacco did win a Super Bowl, but that was such a fluky one-off that I’m still refusing to consider him a championship level QB. He (and the other two) are in that purgatory zone that we’ve talked a lot about over the last year or so — not good enough to win it all, too good to get rid of.

So really, even when teams have “hit” on a QB outside the top 10 lately, they haven’t really been hitting home runs (Seattle excluded). More like doubles. The small salary is great — but they fell for a reason, and that’s usually because they’re noticeably limited in terms of upside or intangibles or other capabilities. 

8 hours ago, Woz said:

Maybe.

Sam Bradford, injury history and all, got $15 million from the Cardinals this past off-season.  With the talent level that both Winston and Flacco possess, they are sure to eclipse that number.  Some teams won't have that kind of money to spend on a QB.  

Archived