Alex Smith requires emergency surgery; recovery time 6-8 months

naptownskinsfan

5 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Norman and Brown will most likely be gone. So that’s roughly $14-15M in cap space. There’s no way Crowder and Smith are going to be re-signed and I would assume Vernon Davis goes as well. Also, I’d need to see the cap ramifications but there has to be a chance Ryan Kerrigan is released or traded. 

Odds are very good that we have a whole new regime next year. A new GM is going to blow this thing up anyway and start purging the roster of older players with Trent Williams likely being the one to hang around with a young QB at the helm. They can’t move on from Smith contractually but they’re going to do so on the field. I suspect Haskins, Grier or Lock will be starting for this team next year. 

I agree, but trying to play off Alex Smith not being able to play next year as an insignificant cap hit is laughable at this point. That's 20 million you won't have to spend. That's a big deal considering that this team has some rather significant needs.

2 minutes ago, Slateman said:

I agree, but trying to play off Alex Smith not being able to play next year as an insignificant cap hit is laughable at this point. That's 20 million you won't have to spend. That's a big deal considering that this team has some rather significant needs.

Oh I absolutely agree with you. The injury was about as devastating as you can possibly get. It’s going to cost them their own free agents along with the inability to go out and get improvements. We will rely heavily on the draft this year. 

47 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Norman and Brown will most likely be gone. So that’s roughly $14-15M in cap space. There’s no way Crowder and Smith are going to be re-signed and I would assume Vernon Davis goes as well. Also, I’d need to see the cap ramifications but there has to be a chance Ryan Kerrigan is released or traded. 

Odds are very good that we have a whole new regime next year. A new GM is going to blow this thing up anyway and start purging the roster of older players with Trent Williams likely being the one to hang around with a young QB at the helm. They can’t move on from Smith contractually but they’re going to do so on the field. I suspect Haskins, Grier or Lock will be starting for this team next year. 

Why release Kerrigan?  He had a solid 8 sacks this year, is a life long Redskin, and is closing in on the Redskins sack record.  He’s one of the only feel good stories for the Redskins past 10 seasons.  I’d rather keep him here till he retires.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Why release Kerrigan?  He had a solid 8 sacks this year, is a life long Redskin, and is closing in on the Redskins sack record.  He’s one of the only feel good stories for the Redskins past 10 seasons.  I’d rather keep him here till he retires.

Mainly due to his age. If we go the new GM route he’s most likely going to blow things up. Kerrigan, Brown, Norman, possibly Trent Williams etc. will be looked at as either cuts or trade bait. It’s unfortunate but keeping older players around for the situation we’re going to have makes no sense. And no, I don’t want Kerrigan to go and I don’t want to see him on another team. 

2 hours ago, Slateman said:

yes, but the team also needs

At least one starting offensive linemen and a backup LT (Nsekhe is a free agent)

Backup/starter quality safeties

And edge rusher

Oh and I believe we want to extend Ioannidis. And Scherf's cap hit doubles.

Sorry, but there is no way  you can downplay how dramatic the effect would be if Smith can't play next season. You remember when we were penalized a few years ago? That's basically what Smith not playing would be. A cap penalty.

1. As Lavar said, I don’t expect Crowder & PSmith to be back, and if they are retained, I don’t think it will be as expensive to keep them as I thought it was going to be going into the season because they’ve both had down - injury plagued for Crowder - seasons.

I really think we can re-sign Smith on a ln Orakpo type deal if we want to, where he’ll be making $5 to 7 million next year and not cost nearly as much as Kerrigan. And, if we do retain Crowder, I’m not sure he’ll cost over $5 million either.

2. We drafted Gerron Christian, he’s our back up swing tackle. So, that’s covered.

3. We have back up safeties, Everett and Apke. There’s no way they give up on a Apke after one season where he had a hamstring injury and was on IR.

4. I do think we’ll draft an edge rusher but we won’t be signing one (so that’s not going to cost a lot of cap space). I’m not sure if we’ll Draft one in the 1st round or if we’ll draft a QB, ILB or WR (I’d say just take BPA out of those 4 positions) but I do think we’ll draft an edge rusher. I do not think we are going to sign one in free agency, and even if we do, the best edge rushers don’t become free agents usually because their teams keep them. So, draft is the way to go there.

5. Extending Ioannidis and Scherff will cost, but combined their cap hits for next season in an extension will be under $15 million.

6. At ILB, even if both Brown and Foster are gone (which I disagree with Lavar, I think Brown will be retained) we have 3 young ILBs developing and I expect we’ll draft another one in the first 3 rounds too who we feel can replace Foster and compete with SDH & Vigil for the starting Mike spot next to Brown.

59 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Mainly due to his age. If we go the new GM route he’s most likely going to blow things up. Kerrigan, Brown, Norman, possibly Trent Williams etc. will be looked at as either cuts or trade bait. It’s unfortunate but keeping older players around for the situation we’re going to have makes no sense. And no, I don’t want Kerrigan to go and I don’t want to see him on another team. 

I think any new GM will want to keep the players you mentioned if they are still productive. I think Kerrigan & TWill are lifetime Redskins. For as long as they want to play, they’ll be on the team.

Now, I could see Brown, Norman and Swearinger being cut but I’m not even 100% sure that will happen either.

11 minutes ago, Slateman said:

There is no way a 20 million cap penalty isn't significant, turtle. Not unless your good with finishing below .500.

Well I didn’t mean it wasn’t significant, I just don’t think it’s going to affect us much because if/when our team was 100% healthy or near if the first half of this season we were 5-2 & 6-3 and that’s with a mostly young team, especially at WR and most of our defense.

All I’m saying is we can re-sign the guys we want to and stay under the cap for next season, even while we are eating Alex Smith’s contract. 

I mean, that much is obvious and isn’t debatable. At worst, we’re looking at $30 million in cap space next year to retain Crowder, Ioannidis, PSmith and Scherff (and I don’t think we keep both Crowder & PSmith) so, we should have the cap space to do that.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I think any new GM will want to keep the players you mentioned if they are still productive. I think Kerrigan & TWill are lifetime Redskins. For as long as they want to play, they’ll be on the team.

Now, I could see Brown, Norman and Swearinger being cut but I’m not even 100% sure that will happen either.

I agree that Williams and Kerrigan will be and deserve to be Lifetime Redskins. I don't think a whole blow up is needed to make us a team to compete with others. A Winning Hard Work mentality from the top is what's needed the most IMO. Willams and Kerrigan both IMO can give you another 3 years of pro bowl or top 10 play at their positions. Sweriger and Brown I would also keep around. Brown just doesn't need to be covering TE's 1 on 1. Norman I could see being let go due to the money he may want, but of he would take a lower deal I'd try to keep him as well. Without Norman, Greedy Williams has to be our 1st round pick next year or we have to replace his spot in Free Agency. I'm not ready to give the #1 CB spot to Dunbar yet. 

16 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

How is he gonna help being in the training room? He's gonna cost us regardless. He doesn't know this offense better than Colt. Let Smith recover in peace and move on with his life. I don't see keeping him around beneficial at all. Colt on the other hand if Gruden is kept helps with knowing the offense (even if that meant him possibly starting next year) Now if we get a new coach they both can go. 

I have to believe he isn't moving out of his house/apartment into the training room full time, right? I mean, wouldn't they let him stand / sit on the sidelines, just to get a change of scenery?

Also, while Colt (hopefully) knows the playbook better, that's not all that is required of being a mentor. It's teaching the rookie what certain defensive looks mean, or how they can be used to hide what the defense actually plans on doing. It's how you set up a training regime for yourself on your time, or getting the guys together to both work on routes and just bond. It's how you handle your finances, or if an agent is good or not. Lots of things go into being a mentor.

Basically, if the Redskins are going to be paying Smith regardless, at least get something for his contract. I think it is safe to say that I have not been a fan of Alex Smith from the jump, so me wanting to get anything I can out of him is not because I'm a fan of his. I just think it is a bit shortsighted to be like "well, he cannot take a snap so he's completely worthless to us so boot him out the door."

1 minute ago, Woz said:

I have to believe he isn't moving out of his house/apartment into the training room full time, right? I mean, wouldn't they let him stand / sit on the sidelines, just to get a change of scenery?

Also, while Colt (hopefully) knows the playbook better, that's not all that is required of being a mentor. It's teaching the rookie what certain defensive looks mean, or how they can be used to hide what the defense actually plans on doing. It's how you set up a training regime for yourself on your time, or getting the guys together to both work on routes and just bond. It's how you handle your finances, or if an agent is good or not. Lots of things go into being a mentor.

Basically, if the Redskins are going to be paying Smith regardless, at least get something for his contract. I think it is safe to say that I have not been a fan of Alex Smith from the jump, so me wanting to get anything I can out of him is not because I'm a fan of his. I just think it is a bit shortsighted to be like "well, he cannot take a snap so he's completely worthless to us so boot him out the door."

Now I will agree Smith would be a better mentor than Colt, but can Smith mentor anyone without knowing the playbook himself? I would Yes on how to be a professional in league but anything dealing with the playbook as you said Hoepfully Colt knows that better than any QB coming in next year if Gruden is retained. 

24 minutes ago, Woz said:

Basically, if the Redskins are going to be paying Smith regardless, at least get something for his contract.

His contract is a sunk cost.  Its time just just move on from the mistake.  Rip the band-aid off and cut the man.  

26 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

His contract is a sunk cost.  Its time just just move on from the mistake.  Rip the band-aid off and cut the man.  

You have to be smart about it. Figure out the best case Cap implications . I R or even keep him on the roster . whatever is best moneywise. It's just a business move now .

1 minute ago, RSkinGM said:

You have to be smart about it. Figure out the best case Cap implications . I R or even keep him on the roster . whatever is best moneywise. It's just a business move now .

We can cut him post June 1st cut and not have it cost us any more cap.

Archived