Alex Smith requires emergency surgery; recovery time 6-8 months

naptownskinsfan

1 hour ago, Incarcerated_Scarface said:

I'm a DC area guy on this forum and also a 49er fan. As much as I dislike Smith, he's light years better than Colt. I dont understand the Skins fanbase thinking they're ok with Colt as the QB. Yeah, he knows the system but that doesn't mean he's a good QB. If I were a Skins fan I'd be worried about this being a lost season now.

Worried about what? We won’t get smoked in the first round of the playoffs now? Our ceiling with Alex is just about the same as with Colt. This just helps us get our young franchise QB faster. 

59 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

What was the season before with Alex Smith?  We were 6-3 in spite of Smith, not because of him.  If you haven't been watching the Redskins games you don't understand how terrible Smith has been.

Yeah - our ceiling was a first round playoff loss. That's probably still our ceiling with Colt, only difference is the floor might be a bit lower.

12 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Oh, that is true, but it gets better. 

-Final game score was 23-21 

-Romeo Crennel was on the sidelines for both injuries 

-Both in the twilight of their careers- Smith is 34, Theismann was 35 

-Joe Jacoby missed the game for Theismann with an injury, and Trent Williams missed this game

-53 NFL games have finished with the 23-21 score, three of which the Redskins participated in. Those three games all occurred on November 18th. 

both won super bowls 2 seasons later?

The Washington Post is reporting a 6-8 month recovery time for Alex Smith.  Another report I read earlier said that no ligament damage was found during surgery. Six months puts Smith beginning football activities right after the draft.  Eight months has things going right up to training camp.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/11/19/alex-smith-recovery-take-months-other-injured-starters-uncertain-dallas-game/?utm_term=.1ea190f9e20c

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Holly shnikies! I have to say, you’re a great poster. You and a few others who are new and have joined the board and are being relatively active have been great.

I hope you stay active I, and I’m sure others, enjoy your posts, opinions and knowledge!

Thanks man, I've posted on message boards for almost 15 years now.  I've been a moderator, admin and even owned my own sites, so I enjoy talking with people through this avenue- I am disappointed that fewer and fewer people are discussing sports on forums and instead are more concerned with hot takes in the cesspool that is social media.  

I'm also a huge Redskins fan, and it runs in my blood- my uncle played and coached for the team many years ago- so I put ,myself through all of this year after year because I have to.  

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If the Redskins are smart they will figure out a way to get out of this contract ASAP. Pay him whatever you need to settle out and get it over with. He wasn’t good before the injury and there’s no way he’s going to be the same after it. 

There is no way the NFLPA is going to let $71 million guaranteed be settled out as an injury settlement.  They want fully guaranteed contracts to begin with, and this would be a drastic step back for them.  

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Alex Smith's contract gives him plenty of protection. The contract is guaranteed for injury. If Smith can’t play, the Redskins still have to absorb the guaranteed cap charges of his contract.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/18/alex-smiths-contract-gives-him-plenty-of-protection/ 

If this is accurate (and PFT has a so-so record on these sort of things), he's getting his 2019 and 2020 salaries.

6 hours ago, Incarcerated_Scarface said:

I'm a DC area guy on this forum and also a 49er fan. As much as I dislike Smith, he's light years better than Colt. I dont understand the Skins fanbase thinking they're ok with Colt as the QB. Yeah, he knows the system but that doesn't mean he's a good QB. If I were a Skins fan I'd be worried about this being a lost season now.

Oh we full well know what Colt McCoy is capable of. Those of us who were willing to start him this past season were doing so at an eye for a top 5 draft pick and getting an actual signal caller.

6 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

No such thing. We lose out we get a quality coach. Im perfectly fine with winning or losing. So long as its one extreme or the other.

5 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Firing Bruce Allen is more important than firing Gruden IMO.  But yeah I agree with your premise.  

Unfortunately, this injury is just what they ordered for top cover. "We were 6-3 and atop the division when our quarterback went down with a catastrophic injury! You cannot change horses now!"

I would have been absolutely fine with McCoy starting if the intent was to build the defense and the offensive line, in order to get a look at this years crop of QB's. 

Especially because, we would not have this contract lingering over us now, and we woudl have a 3rd round pick, and we woudl still have Kendall Fuller. 

Yep, Bruceeee is the issue. Guy just can't get out of his own way. 

More injury updates: it was a compound fracture, meaning the bone was sticking through the skin- same thing that Theismann had.  The emergency surgery happened due to the massive risk of infection that poses.  Modern medicine has advanced and while this injury may not be career threatening, it is going to be a tough road ahead for Smith.  One of the bones was also described as a spiral break- a long bone broken by rotational force.  

Yikes.  

1 hour ago, mike23md said:

I would have been absolutely fine with McCoy starting if the intent was to build the defense and the offensive line, in order to get a look at this years crop of QB's. 

Especially because, we would not have this contract lingering over us now, and we woudl have a 3rd round pick, and we woudl still have Kendall Fuller. 

Yep, Bruceeee is the issue. Guy just can't get out of his own way. 

Agreed man.  Seriously giving that much for a 34 year old QB is just too risky.

Archived