Jalen Ramsey hopes to ink long-term deal this offseason

.Buzz

I feel like this just makes it pretty clear he has no intention of playing on that 5th year option, and he's going to want a MASSIVE deal.  Plus, whenever Jalen gets that massive deal, it pretty much necessitates the end of Bouye here.  Which creates a big hole to fill...at least a year before necessary, if Jalen were willing to play out that 5th year option.

I'm really interested to see if the sort of deal Jalen is after ends up being one of these "biggest deal ever" types.  I hope that's not the case, but i'd almost be a little surprised if that's not something he's angling for.  It just seems like with the proliferation of spread offenses, multiplicity of moving chess piece weapons, and the schemes that are lighting up the NFL these days...it's only going to continue to become more difficult for that traditional "lockdown corner" to effectively shut things down and earn anything like that sort of salary.

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I feel like this just makes it pretty clear he has no intention of playing on that 5th year option, and he's going to want a MASSIVE deal.  Plus, whenever Jalen gets that massive deal, it pretty much necessitates the end of Bouye here.  Which creates a big hole to fill...at least a year before necessary, if Jalen were willing to play out that 5th year option.

Ehh. His 5th year option is going to be at least $12M. They’re not going to save anything by him playing on the 5th year. They’re going to backload his contract if it’s some exorbitant amount, so they might even save money up front by getting his deal done.

His 2020 cap hit could easily end up below $10M if they want to structure it that way. Aaron Donald has the biggest defensive contact in NFL history, and he's only making $8.9M in the first year. The Jaguars would save $3M in the first year by giving that same deal to Jalen. And he's probably not going to get that same total number, which could bring that year one total down even lower.

58 minutes ago, pwny said:

Ehh. His 5th year option is going to be at least $12M. They’re not going to save anything by him playing on the 5th year. They’re going to backload his contract if it’s some exorbitant amount, so they might even save money up front by getting his deal done.

His 2020 cap hit could easily end up below $10M if they want to structure it that way. Aaron Donald has the biggest defensive contact in NFL history, and he's only making $8.9M in the first year. The Jaguars would save $3M in the first year by giving that same deal to Jalen. And he's probably not going to get that same total number, which could bring that year one total down even lower.

That's true.  You might be able to work in something of a de facto 5th year option year into a megadeal, but like with Donald and Mack, if that's the sort of contract he's after...you're going to be up into $25M range with massive guarantees pretty much immediately after, and if that's the only thing he's gonna settle for...idk.  That's hard to swallow unless the cap rises bigtime.

Since we don't have a QB worth paying, and even if we manage to draft one who doesn't suck, we shouldn't have to worry about that megadeal for at least 4-5 years...maybe you can find a way to make it work.  But that's so much money for a CB.  Especially with all the guarantees it would carry, at a position where we've repeatedly seen elite guys completely fall off a cliff out of almost nowhere.

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

That's true.  You might be able to work in something of a de facto 5th year option year into a megadeal, but like with Donald and Mack, if that's the sort of contract he's after...you're going to be up into $25M range with massive guarantees pretty much immediately after, and if that's the only thing he's gonna settle for...idk.  That's hard to swallow unless the cap rises bigtime.

Since we don't have a QB worth paying, and even if we manage to draft one who doesn't suck, we shouldn't have to worry about that megadeal for at least 4-5 years...maybe you can find a way to make it work.  But that's so much money for a CB.  Especially with all the guarantees it would carry, at a position where we've repeatedly seen elite guys completely fall off a cliff out of almost nowhere.

So we save the cap for what/whom?

We have no QB to pay. The cap is rising, and we're likely to let go of multiple older version on the DL. Why wouldn't you pay the all pro top 3 corner and have him be a building blocks for the next near decade? I don't think you let Jalen walk because Bouye makes a solid bit...would be pretty depressing to watch a legit possible future HOF out the door because we're paying another corner/want to save the $ to pay someone else that we don't even know about.

On 11/20/2018 at 11:42 AM, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Don't overthink it. Sign Ramsey and Ngakoue and at least begin talks with Jack. Do whatever you need to do to keep them.

Pretty much. Just like the Gip talk we went how many years without a decent CB since Rashean Mathis? Or an elite pass rusher since Tony Brackens? They dont grow on trees. When you get one, you gotta keep them. Structure the contract however you need but you gotta make it work

On 20/11/2018 at 9:34 AM, .Buzz said:

So we save the cap for what/whom?

We have no QB to pay. The cap is rising, and we're likely to let go of multiple older version on the DL. Why wouldn't you pay the all pro top 3 corner and have him be a building blocks for the next near decade? I don't think you let Jalen walk because Bouye makes a solid bit...would be pretty depressing to watch a legit possible future HOF out the door because we're paying another corner/want to save the $ to pay someone else that we don't even know about.

I don't think there's any way you can just let him walk.  But if you're headed for an ugly contract situation...maybe you do explore what you could get in trade.  Just depends on what's going on behind the scenes...which we're obviously not privy to.

On 11/18/2018 at 5:38 PM, pwny said:

I hope so too.

Even though he has next year and a 5th year option after that, I almost feel like a new deal for Jalen is priority #1, even over navigating this QB situation.

I think if he's part of a deal that helps us land a franchise quarterback, I'd prefer to ship him off. 

I could see a situation where he's part of a trade to move up or maybe just to trade him for an additional first round pick. 

I'd love to trade him for a pick that possibly means bringing in Greedy Williams and a first round quarterback. 

I just think the amount of money he'll demand and the distraction he can be just isn't worth it. 

1 hour ago, MoJo122-b-21 said:

I think if he's part of a deal that helps us land a franchise quarterback, I'd prefer to ship him off. 

I could see a situation where he's part of a trade to move up or maybe just to trade him for an additional first round pick. 

I'd love to trade him for a pick that possibly means bringing in Greedy Williams and a first round quarterback. 

I just think the amount of money he'll demand and the distraction he can be just isn't worth it. 

Unless we are bringing on an already proven franchise QB shipping him off is just an unnecessary gamble 

4 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Unless we are bringing on an already proven franchise QB shipping him off is just an unnecessary gamble 

And what QB in this draft could possibly be worth anything close to a value that you would need to send off a 24 year old elite, Hall of Fame caliber CB? 

And this “distraction” thing is overblown garbage. The only people who think it’s a distraction are people who want it to be a distraction. He will defend his teammates to death, and the team absolutely loves him for it. Nobody in the locker room has anything but praise to heap on him. But somehow he’s a “distraction” because some fans can’t handle a player being emotional and confident.

This isn’t TO calling Jeff Garcia gay. This isn’t Randy Moss half-jogging routes because he’s sick of losing. It’s a non-issue.

59 minutes ago, pwny said:

And what QB in this draft could possibly be worth anything close to a value that you would need to send off a 24 year old elite, Hall of Fame caliber CB? 

And this “distraction” thing is overblown garbage. The only people who think it’s a distraction are people who want it to be a distraction. He will defend his teammates to death, and the team absolutely loves him for it. Nobody in the locker room has anything but praise to heap on him. But somehow he’s a “distraction” because some fans can’t handle a player being emotional and confident.

This isn’t TO calling Jeff Garcia gay. This isn’t Randy Moss half-jogging routes because he’s sick of losing. It’s a non-issue.

I agree 100% No reason to deal him at all

On 11/23/2018 at 12:19 PM, MoJo122-b-21 said:

unless herbert and or haskins declares this class of QB doesnt smell like franchise elite QB territory. 

Archived