Bears vs Cardinals - GDT - Preseason week 2

CBears019

Post Game thoughts:

1. I'm kind of over Glennon..... He legit looks like a downgrade from when we had Matt Barkley starting last year. I'd rather just start Mitch and take the lumps that are going to come with it. At least Biscuits will get experience.

2. Why on earth did Sanchez get a series.... and why on earth did Glennon get the whole first half....Biscuits needs more time on the field and against better competition

3. Biscuits got brought down to earth tonight I thought... Probably better for the city as a whole to get a reality check on a rookie qb, however... with Glennon still looking bad, It's hard to not still prefer Trubisky.

4. Tarik Cohen can sit down the rest of the preseason if he likes.... I'm sold, he's legit and probably our best immediate impact draft pick this season.

5. Shaheen is still invisible... I'm actually a bit concerned

6. Bullard was an absolute stud tonight

7. RRH might have played his way onto the roster

8. Rounds of w/e his name is.... How is he still on the roster...

9. Langford didn't play again....? I mean dude just doesn't want to make the team.

10. Kevin white is still more or less useless.

11. Defense as a whole played well.... Front 3 had a rush where all 3 of them got a sack or TFL, some good coverage snaps in there as well.

EDIT: 12. Oh and Connor Shaw's only preseason play being the kneel down..... lol

Re: White, Not sure how we can evaluate any of our WRs when Glennon won't throw a pass beyond 5 yards past the LOS. White had 3 targets: a bubble screen to start the game that was blown up before he ever even got the ball, a 2 yard stop route he turned into a 5 yard gain and the pass that was way late and got picked off by Mathieu. Our QB can't run the offense in a way that gives our receivers the chance to make plays.

Re: Glennon, the only time he has looked competent was in Tebow Time (2 minute drill), and even then he took over in Cards territory and then benefited from a roughing the passer penalty to move the sticks even further. He's played 3 quarters and has a pick six, a red zone INT returned 50 yards and had a pass thrown into triple coverage dropped by the DB, and has generated just 10 points while going for just 109 yards on 26 attempts (4.19 ypa). That's TERRIBLE, and teams haven't even started game planning against us yet, and the Denver quarter was with them without Von Miller in the lineup. They're running the offense with him like he's a rookie UDFA forced into making his first start. They KNOW he can't play and yet they're going to make sure he does anyway. It's incredibly frustrating. 

It makes sense to me why you'd give Sanchez a series and only one series. It's symbolic - it lets the rookie know that he still has to earn his way to the #2, and that one preseason game isn't enough to do it. There's more to this than simply, "Trubisky is the better QB, and he needs snaps." There's also locker room cohesion, the fact that Sanchez is a very well-respected veteran around the league, and that Trubisky is a rookie and should have to take his lumps. Look, it's obvious, everyone knows that Trubisky is the future of the team, but I like that Fox is sending the message that he's not going to be anointed into anything. Like every single rookie on a John Fox team, he's going to start at the bottom of the depth chart and work his way up, and he's not going anywhere until Fox feels he's earned it. There are no exceptions just because he's the 2nd overall pick For that reason, we're definitely going to see Glennon play 3 quarters next week, and Sanchez is probably going to come in for a series before Trubisky plays out the rest of the 4th.

This has always been Fox's philosophy, and honestly, I think our locker room is way better now than it was under Trestman, so I'm willing to give him a pass. I want to see Trubisky play, too, but I want what's best for the team more. If Fox has decided that Trubisky should take his rookie lumps, then I'm perfectly fine with that.

This just solidified my view from the beginning of FA, that if we wanted a young guy to come in it would have been better to keep Hoyer for another year.

1- Cost less (I know Glennon isn't hindering us, but we could roll more into 2018 or have thrown a huge deal for a top tier FA and use the $10 mil savings this year on front loading their deal, making it more team friendly in the long run)

2- Already knew Loggains' system. You will learn faster under someone who already knows the system than trying to learn under a vet who is also learning the system... I guess Glennon coming in with no knowledge of the offense gives you a fair gauge for how well Tru is picking up things, but Hoyer would have accelerated the system more.  Even with Hoyer you can still bring in Sanchez for another vet presence with a pretty good career behind him.

3- The WRs and TEs held over from last year would get a better gauge for their advancement. It is simple, if you add too many variables you struggle to judge progress. Meredith, White, Brown, etc all have had reps with him, and all dealing with Glennon trying to just get a grasp of the system. Our only holdover from the QB position is Shaw, with how early he was hurt is that even worth noting?

4- Hoyer has better ball placement. Glennon has the stronger arm, no question. But in a quick-pace timing offense you need to be accurate and let the receiver get YAC. Glennon is throwing erratically on too many throws, limiting YAC. It is pretty evident that timing isn't there yet for Glennon, which to be fair isn't fair to be expected of him yet. But with Hoyer that would absolutely be getting the ball out on time better that this.

5- Could potentially pacify the fans for a bit longer. Hoyer is nothing special, but last year he proved he could move the ball and protect it. Glennon is not doing either well yet. If Loggains stays dedicated to running, Howard/Cohen could have greatly helped the red zone woes he had last year. Glennon has less upside IMO and has looked like he is really struggling. INTs will cause fans to turn on a QB as fast as anything, and 300 yard games (regardless of how they lack true correlation with winning) seem to excite fans. Hoyer has several last year, and with this cast could potentially have several more.

3 hours ago, Epyon said:

Post Game thoughts:

1. I'm kind of over Glennon..... He legit looks like a downgrade from when we had Matt Barkley starting last year. I'd rather just start Mitch and take the lumps that are going to come with it. At least Biscuits will get experience.

2. Why on earth did Sanchez get a series.... and why on earth did Glennon get the whole first half....Biscuits needs more time on the field and against better competition

3. Biscuits got brought down to earth tonight I thought... Probably better for the city as a whole to get a reality check on a rookie qb, however... with Glennon still looking bad, It's hard to not still prefer Trubisky.

4. Tarik Cohen can sit down the rest of the preseason if he likes.... I'm sold, he's legit and probably our best immediate impact draft pick this season.

5. Shaheen is still invisible... I'm actually a bit concerned

6. Bullard was an absolute stud tonight

7. RRH might have played his way onto the roster

8. Rounds of w/e his name is.... How is he still on the roster...

9. Langford didn't play again....? I mean dude just doesn't want to make the team.

10. Kevin white is still more or less useless.

11. Defense as a whole played well.... Front 3 had a rush where all 3 of them got a sack or TFL, some good coverage snaps in there as well.

EDIT: 12. Oh and Connor Shaw's only preseason play being the kneel down..... lol

1.   Agreed.  First team O coukd have looked really good with QB play.  Running game was clicking and receivers were open.  Just start Mitch already.  Glennon is a back up, not a starting NFL QB   

2.  Sanchez is our best QB to start and win right now to be honest.  Glennon is third and if money and ego  wasnt a concern wouldnt make the team.

3.  Mitch got kinda screwed tonight.  Nobody was open, under pressure.  Guys with no practice reps playing around him.  Think it was on purpose to quell hype. Kinda stupid since whole reason he isnt starting is so "you dont lose the player."

4.  Agreed.  But he can get reps since he will be fill in guy anyway.

5.  Only one opportunity really for Shaheen. 

9  Langford will get cut it looks like.

10 .  I think its tought o judge WRs when there is poor QB play   But White looks like he is not one of best 5 on team for sure   

Me:  Why the hell didnt Gentry get to play?  What does he have to do?  Score every single play in practice?

So apparently john fox decided that tru played too well last week and he needed to silence the fans by playing him less.  Its getting pretty clear with each passing week that tru is the best qb on the team.  Its also clear that john fox is determined to punch his own ticket out of town by riding with glennon.  Oh well i guess we'll just be playing for draft position this year

Is it just me, or has Pat O'Donnell looked significantly better this preseason then he has in the past?

This may not be exciting, but the Bears have been on the wrong end of the field position battle the past few seasons, and a big part of that has been someone sub par punting.

Hopefully his improvements will continue into the regular season.

1 hour ago, bkokot said:

Is it just me, or has Pat O'Donnell looked significantly better this preseason then he has in the past?

This may not be exciting, but the Bears have been on the wrong end of the field position battle the past few seasons, and a big part of that has been someone sub par punting.

He has looked better IMO. His problem has always been consistency - the big leg has always been there. Through 2 PS games he's looked pretty good though. 

1 hour ago, bkokot said:

Very true...he has looked good...helps wen the coverage team isn't total garbage as well.

Archived