Backup QB search: Mark Sanchez signed

naptownskinsfan

The names of available quarterbacks is........uninspiring to say the least.  The national guys, confirmed with some local media, report that Mark Sanchez, EJ Manuel, TJ Yates, Kellen Clemens and Josh Johnson are all being brought in for workouts tomorrow.  

Once we sign them, they have less than 48 hours before the team boards a flight to head to Dallas for the Thursday night Thanksgiving game.  So that leaves hardly any time to learn anything beyond the extreme basics of this offense, and in the event of an injury, we run a pre-season vanilla offense.  Jordan Reed is also the emergency third-string QB.  

The good news is that, after the Dallas game, we won't play again until we play the Eagles on Monday Night Football on December 3rd, so by that point the backup is up to speed.  

Mark Sanchez is likely the front-runner, as he has played for three of our coaches before.  TJ Yates also brings two playoff starts with him.  Things could get really bad here in short order. 

Of that list, Connor Cook would interest me the most.  He's got a lot of college starting experience, has played on big stages before, and we know a previous Michigan State QB had success in our system.  

Personally, I think the NFL should add a 54th roster spot for a third-string QB for development.  That third string QB is part of the weekly inactives, but if your starting QB is injured and out for the game, then that QB becomes eligible to play.  Even if you don't add another roster space, that rule can still be in effect for your QB on the inactive spot.  As teams have started carrying only two QBs, I've thought about how that's extremely risky and I was cringing as McCoy was taking hit after hit when he was out running yesterday, knowing Jordan Reed was seconds away from taking the snaps. 

Ian Rapoport✔@RapSheet

The #Redskins are having a group of veteran FA QBs come in and work out tomorrow following the season-ending injury to Alex Smith: EJ Manuel, Kellen Clemens, Mark Sanchez, and TJ Yates, sources say. They need a backup.

What a stinking pile of dung. Kap is better than any of them. 

33 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Ian Rapoport✔@RapSheet

The #Redskins are having a group of veteran FA QBs come in and work out tomorrow following the season-ending injury to Alex Smith: EJ Manuel, Kellen Clemens, Mark Sanchez, and TJ Yates, sources say. They need a backup.

What a stinking pile of dung. Kap is better than any of them. 

Is Kapernick willing to be the back up? Actually, the back up to the back up? Politics aside, I seem to remember him not being willing to take a back up spot this offseason and wanting to be paid like a starter.

12 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Is Kapernick willing to be the back up? Actually, the back up to the back up? Politics aside, I seem to remember him not being willing to take a back up spot this offseason and wanting to be paid like a starter.

Fair point. He might not want to be a back up. Things change over time I guess, so I hope a phone call was made.

No way on Kap. I'd burn everything I have as a Redskin fan. he's a confused young man, easily manipulated and guided by a self indulgent USA hating publicity seeking whack job Nessa gave him a little of that good stuff down there and his pursuit of more of it has ruined his football career- she's the younger version of Kris Kardashian and he is the younger version of Bruce Jenner or whoever he is identifying as today

I heard Smooty talking about Romo- I think that would be an awesome move. while its very unlikely. 

10 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

No way on Kap. I'd burn everything I have as a Redskin fan. he's a confused young man, easily manipulated and guided by a self indulgent USA hating publicity seeking whack job Nessa gave him a little of that good stuff down there and his pursuit of more of it has ruined his football career- she's the younger version of Kris Kardashian and he is the younger version of Bruce Jenner or whoever he is identifying as today

I heard Smooty talking about Romo- I think that would be an awesome move. while its very unlikely. 

speaking of confused

edit: in reference to Smoot. He's confused to think Romo would do that.

Archived