Week 12 and Onward

dtait93

Last week was bad. So bad that I'm ready to just put it behind us and focus on the remainder of the season. Even if we lose on MNF against Houston this week, we still have a shot at the playoffs but we would have to win out and it is definitely not impossible considering the schedule and how well this team has played with it's backs against the wall. The 5 game stretch after Houston was the biggest thing I noticed about our schedule when it was released. It features 4 games at home compared to only 1 on the road, and after Smith broke his leg yesterday it looks even softer than before. After Houston, here are our 5 remaining games:

vs Jets

vs Jags

@ Giants

vs Redskins

vs Colts

Obviously if we beat Houston we will see a brighter light at the end of the tunnel, but even if we lose there will still be a glimmer. Week 17 against the Colts could very well be a win and your in type of game and we get them at home. All of this hinges on Mariota's again injured ulnar nerve and Pees' health imo though. Apparently Pees was taken out of the press box in a wheelchair after the 1st quarter in which we gave up 7 points, and when Vrabel took over defensive play calling in the 2nd quarter we gave up 17 points. His track record in Houston as defensive coordinator along with his performance yesterday makes me very, very scared if Pees is out for any period of time. We'll need both him and Marcus to be healthy to have any shot at the post season.

1 minute ago, deeluxx3 said:

we need to go 4-1

we did this to ourselves

We do it to ourselves every year. lol  We are either going to come up one game short or make it in on the last week. Dating back to the Fisher/Young days, we seem to have a knack for one of those scenarios. Happens when you float at the .500 mark. Not terrible but no good. 

Seeing that we have an inconsistent team, I can see us going 4-2. wining our out of division games, plus one division game. 4 of our last 6 are at home and that is a positive considering our home record. The odds are in our favor for that, but we shall see. 

So 4 home games plus a visit to the Giants, who hopefully are packing it in, but likely they won't and we will get the best game they've every played.  Potential for 5 wins, based on odds. 
 Also depends on who is QB...

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

All of this hinges on Mariota's again injured ulnar nerve and Pees' health imo though.

I know KT posted the Mariota update in the injury thread but great news on both fronts. If we can somehow get the W in Houston followed by the softest stretch of the schedule to end the season...

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/26/baker-mayfield-hue-jackson-browns-philip-rivers-broncos-steelers-vikings-packers-bills-jaguars-mmqb-week-12?utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com

And while we’re there, it’s worth mentioning that Buckeyes OC Ryan Day was the man Mike Vrabel wanted to run his Titans offense. Day, who was in his fourth job in four years, stayed in Columbus, in part for family reasons. But he’s got NFL experience, having coached in Philly and San Francisco under Chip Kelly, and I’d expect him to draw NFL interest in January.

Remembering that LaFleur wasn't Vrabel's first choice what effect do you think that has on his thinking about the offense?

I know Ohio State has had their issues, but if you look at the quote, is it any way possible that he would go back to Day and say come please, given the struggles of the offense? I don't think so...but just thought I'd present the question.

52 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/26/baker-mayfield-hue-jackson-browns-philip-rivers-broncos-steelers-vikings-packers-bills-jaguars-mmqb-week-12?utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com

Remembering that LaFleur wasn't Vrabel's first choice what effect do you think that has on his thinking about the offense?

I know Ohio State has had their issues, but if you look at the quote, is it any way possible that he would go back to Day and say come please, given the struggles of the offense? I don't think so...but just thought I'd present the question.

If LaFleur isn’t poached then I’m passing. Marcus’ biggest need is continuity. I think it would be ridiculous to ask him to learn yet another offense especially in such a crucial season.

Archived