Ah, D... Playoffs? Don't Talk About... Playoffs? You Kidding Me?

MacReady

12 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Let's say we get a WC spot, what then?  This team does not resemble our 2010 squad at all.   I have a feeling the Saints will get the #1 seed unless they implode big time in the next 5/6 weeks.  I can't see us going to the Big Easy and upsetting that team.

Understood but I never push for losing - or consider losing a quicker means to a better end (higher draft slots / easier schedule).
Just not me. I'm with Herb: "You play to win the game" :)

You deal with the draft slots later - either sitting tight and letting projected talent come to you - or do some wheeling + dealing and go get it.
And next years schedule is next year. Deal with it later. Beat those teams next year.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Understood but I never push for losing - or consider losing a quicker means to a better end (higher draft slots / easier schedule).

You deal with the draft slots later - either sitting tight and letting projected talent come to you - or do some wheeling + dealing and go get it.
And next years schedule is next year. Deal with it later. Beat those teams next year.

I'm not pushing for losing but I just don't see us doing much should we make the playoffs.  I wouldn't mind it at all if this group proves me wrong.  :)  I just don't want to get my hopes up unrealistically high.

Just now, Pugger said:

I'm not pushing for losing but I just don't see us doing much should we make the playoffs.  I wouldn't mind it at all if this group proves me wrong.  :)  I just don't want to get my hopes up unrealistically high.

Understood - but I come from a place that accepts what I pull for having absolutely no bearing on what will happen. I'm just not that all powerful for some reason.
If we lose - it will properly define us / our roster / active lineup at the time. We will have "earned" our higher draft slot and easier schedule. It is what it is - or as Parcels said: You are your record. If we win - as we've been EXCRUCIATINGLY close in quite a few games - it will prove that you might want to hedge bets on "projecting" future losses.

25 minutes ago, Leader said:

Plus the draft, even at the high levels, is a crap shoot. I remember people talking about tanking in '05 to get Reggie Bush; he probably would've been a better pick than Hawk, but even so, Bush had a nice NFL career but still would've been regarded as a disappointment. 

Or Tony Mandarich being the 2nd overall pick in a LOADED draft; someone would've drafted him in the top 5 for sure, it was just GB's misfortune to do so. 

19 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

so.....which scenario will be better for the packers making the playoffs?

seattle or a carolina win?

im thinking a seattle win gives us more potential opportunites, bur a carolina win knocks seattle down

As I've said in posts just a short ways up - I want CAR to lose to SEA as that (IMO) keeps both WC slots more achievable.
I'm not sure how well SEA does in East Coast - i.e. two time zones earlier - games, but I want them to win.

Below is the playoff standings I'm hoping for after todays games.
If CAR goes to 7+4 (i.e. beats SEA) - that could lock us out of the top WC slot - at this stage at least cause we're running out of schedule to make up the difference

NFC Playoff picture:

Pre-Week 12 Sunday game standings:

1. New Orleans 10 + 1  ** (projected Division winner)
2. Los Angeles 10 + 1   **
3. Chicago 8 + 3             **
4. Dallas 6+ 5                  **
5. Carolina 6 + 4
6. Minnesota 5 - 4 + 1

7. Washington 6 + 5
8. Seattle 5 + 5
9. Green Bay 4 - 5 + 1
10. Philadelphia 4 + 6
11. Atlanta 4 + 7
12. Detroit 4 + 7

Projected Post-Week 12 Sunday game standings:

1. New Orleans 10 + 1  ** (projected Division winner)
2. Los Angeles 10 + 1   **
3. Chicago 8 + 3             **
4. Dallas 6 + 5                 **
5. Carolina 6 + 5
6. Washington 6 + 5

7. Seattle 6 + 5
8. Green Bay 5 - 5 + 1
9. Minnesota 5 - 5 + 1

10. Philadelphia 5 + 6
11. Atlanta 4 + 7
12. Detroit 4 + 7

Green Bay has to win. Period. No more treading water.
Washington and Seattle have head to head tie break against us - but I think Washington's gonna drop out of contention in coming weeks.
Carolina losing to Seattle today brings them back to the WC pack. Even though they play New Orleans twice, just dont want to see them getting to 7 + 4 ahead of us. 
Would like to see the NYG take out Philadelphia and get them off our back - just dont think they'll do it.

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

You are probably right about not going anywhere in the playoffs, but getting into the playoffs (even for just one game) will give the young players much needed playoff experience. The level of intensity ramps up a notch in the playoffs and those young players need to feel that on the field. Two years frozen out of the playoffs leaves two draft classes without that experience. 

Just now, Mr. Fussnputz said:

You are probably right about not going anywhere in the playoffs, but getting into the playoffs (even for just one game) will give the young players much needed playoff experience. The level of intensity ramps up a notch in the playoffs and those young players need to feel that on the field. Two years frozen out of the playoffs leaves two draft classes without that experience. 

This is what I wish more people understood the importance of.  Playoff experience is huge.  The Eagles from last year are like one of 4 teams to ever win the Super Bowl without having reached the playoffs the year before. 

Making the playoffs would definitely serve the team well in the long run.  There are a ton of young players on this roster who could use the experience.  If GB does turn things around and get to the playoffs, there's no reason the think they couldn't win the wild card game vs (presumably) the NFC-E/NFC-N winner.

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

Making the playoffs would definitely serve the team well in the long run.  There are a ton of young players on this roster who could use the experience.  If GB does turn things around and get to the playoffs, there's no reason the think they couldn't win the wild card game vs (presumably) the NFC-E/NFC-N winner.

There's no reason to believe they couldn't win it all.  Really. 

The Packers went head to head with two of the best teams in the NFL and were in extremely strong positions to win in both of them before untimely fumbles crippled their chances.

This is not a team that has been outmatched, this is a team that has struggled on the road, has gone undefeated at home and has been in nearly every single game they've played in.  That is the recipe used in Super Bowl wins in this league in 2007, 2010 and 2011. 

If Aaron's statements about knowing he has to change the way he plays produce results on the field, our offense is going to get wildly better, which will make things easier on our defense. 

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

For the sake of argument, if GB found themselves heading to LA or NO in the divisional round, I'm sure I could talk my self into believing they had a legit chance to win.

Ehhh, I don't think so.  The Saints are the one team I don't think we could beat. 

52 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

There's no reason to believe they couldn't win it all.  Really. 

The Packers went head to head with two of the best teams in the NFL and were in extremely strong positions to win in both of them before untimely fumbles crippled their chances.

This is not a team that has been outmatched, this is a team that has struggled on the road, has gone undefeated at home and has been in nearly every single game they've played in.  That is the recipe used in Super Bowl wins in this league in 2007, 2010 and 2011. 

If Aaron's statements about knowing he has to change the way he plays produce results on the field, our offense is going to get wildly better, which will make things easier on our defense. 

I'd agree with the exception of New Orleans. Packers could beat either the East/North winner in the WC round and could (on a very good day) beat the Rams in LA. The Packers cannot beat New Orleans in New Orleans. If you think otherwise, just look back at our history there. That game would not be much prettier than the 2016 NFCCG Falcons romp. 

*Didn't read your last post...seems we are in agreement. 

Just now, packfanfb said:

I'd agree with the exception of New Orleans. Packers could beat either the East/North winner in the WC round and could (on a very good day) beat the Rams in LA. The Packers cannot beat New Orleans in New Orleans. If you think otherwise, just look back at our history there. That game would not be much prettier than the 2016 NFCCG Falcons romp.

Yep, the only hope to beat the Saints would be for the game to start off way wrong for New Orleans and for us to ride the momentum.  It's not impossible, but 99/100 times we would not beat the Saints this year. 

Gotta hope for a team like the Bears/Vikings to surprise the Saints.

Archived