Ah, D... Playoffs? Don't Talk About... Playoffs? You Kidding Me?

MacReady

NFC Playoff standings after Sundays games:

1. New Orleans 10 + 1  ** (projected Division winner)
2. Los Angeles 10 + 1   **
3. Chicago 8 + 3             **
4. Dallas 6 + 5                 **
5. Minnesota 6 - 4 + 1
6. Washington 6 + 5
7. Seattle 6 + 5
8. Carolina 6 + 5
9. Philadelphia 5 + 6
10. Green Bay 4 - 6 + 1

39 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

This season isn't about us winning the Super Bowl anymore, it's about us saving McCarthy's job so we don't make a colossal mistake and fire him. 

I just want to have it come down to the final week and have us still be in contention.  I don't care if we make the playoffs or not at this point, I just want us to contend.  I'm not about ready to start another long offseason. 

lol, so what if they fire him and get someone better?

If we don't make the playoffs, I'm officially okay with firing McCarthy.  Even though I don't want to.  Just as rare as it is to win the Super Bowl with a first year head coach is winning the Super Bowl after missing the playoffs two years ina row.

I still think McCarthy could get us one just as soon, especially if he brought in some outside help, but whatever.  

One person who absolutely has to be fired is Zook.  He should be gone ten minutes ago.

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

If we don't make the playoffs, I'm officially okay with firing McCarthy.  Even though I don't want to.  Just as rare as it is to win the Super Bowl with a first year head coach is winning the Super Bowl after missing the playoffs two years ina row.

I still think McCarthy could get us one just as soon, especially if he brought in some outside help, but whatever.  

One person who absolutely has to be fired is Zook.  He should be gone ten minutes ago.

With this loss to MN we won't be making the playoffs.  I seriously doubt the Vikes will either.

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

That was supposed to be Philbin.  We were supposed to strip our offensive play calling to what it was in Mac's earlier years.  Instead, we've regressed even further.  And we've got a HC who is so confident in his system that he doesn't adapt for anyone.

7 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I agree with this, but the bolded part makes it impossible.  MM won't scheme at a defenses weaknesses because 'his system' will do the job. NOT.  To sign on for more of this after watching the last three years is insane.  We are trending down and it resembles falling off a cliff.  MM's ego just won't let him make the adjustments needed during game time.  When Rodgers doesn't play at an All World level our offense sucks. No flow, no rhythm. 

3 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

I agree with this, but the bolded part makes it impossible.  MM won't scheme at a defenses weaknesses because 'his system' will do the job. NOT.  To sign on for more of this after watching the last three years is insane.  We are trending down and it resembles falling off a cliff.  MM's ego just won't let him make the adjustments needed during game time.  When Rodgers doesn't play at an All World level our offense sucks. No flow, no rhythm. 

Nobody who has actually watched this team in any detail believes this. We ran basically an entirely different set of plays between Minnesota, Miami, and Seattle to attack three different styles of defense. There's a lot of criticism to be levied at McCarthy, but this isn't one of them 

8 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Regarding the winning super bowl after missing the playoffs 2 years in a row

Philly in 2017

NYG in 2011

NO 2009

9 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

This season isn't about us winning the Super Bowl anymore, it's about us saving McCarthy's job so we don't make a colossal mistake and fire him. 

I just want to have it come down to the final week and have us still be in contention.  I don't care if we make the playoffs or not at this point, I just want us to contend.  I'm not about ready to start another long offseason. 

Do you seriously believe if we keep McCarthy this team will be improve in 2019?  What evidence do you have to present to back up this claim?  It is clear as can be that this team is dysfunctional right now.   Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result??

Edit:  I suspect you and a few others are fearful that things will get worse if we fire McCarthy.  I get that.  But sometimes a bold approach is necessary.  Yes, it might not work out but we all have seen what we have right now and that ain't cutting it.    

48 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Nobody who has actually watched this team in any detail believes this. We ran basically an entirely different set of plays between Minnesota, Miami, and Seattle to attack three different styles of defense. There's a lot of criticism to be levied at McCarthy, but this isn't one of them 

Yes, it is. He doesn't adjust. Look at our record.

That tie just makes it look improbable for us to miss the playoffs if we win out still.  Panthers/Vikings/Seahawks just don't scream 4-1 teams to me.  I also think people are underrating the potential importance of Kumerow.  All the jokes about it being a galvanizing moment, but even Rodgers said his return could be that galvanizing moment.  If there's another receiver Rodgers actually trusts, things could really change.  Right now he has one single receiver he trusts. 

Our defense is close, too.  Really close to putting it all together.  24 points on the road against those two receivers is good regardless of the missed field goals.  If King came back for the Bears game and stayed healthy...

Offseason is too long, season too short, and life not guaranteed enough to look to next season.  Keep the hope alive. 

MIN - @ NE, @ SEA, MIA, @ DET, CHI

SEA - SF, MIN, @ SF, KC, ARI 

CAR - @ TB, @ CLE, NO, ATL, @ NO

SEA has a favorable schedule coming in. Their toughest games (MIN/KC) are both at home. We have to hope the Rams/Saints are within a game W17 so the Saints have to play for home field. MIN could lose to anyone on their schedule left. 

If the Packers can win out, they would have a pretty solid chance of making it but that's a big IF at this point. 

Archived