Jump to content
Karnage84

Should the Lions trade Stafford?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

 No, not even close.  The Bears thought they were trading for John Elway just entering his prime.  Everyone thought the Bears were getting the next elite QB.  Nobody is going to confuse Stafford for Elway.  The book is out on what Stafford is and what he isnt.  The Broncos were able to capitalize on hope and belief, the Lions would have no such advantage.

I dunno - I'm trying to not look at this with Honolulu coloured glasses. I also think that we might be too close to it as Lions fans. The general perception of Stafford is that he's a top 10 - top 15 QB talent that has been on inconsistent Lions teams. In no particular order, I would take these guys over Stafford: Brady, Mahomes, Brees, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Luck, Wentz, Ryan, Rodgers. The rest would be a bit of a toss up if you're looking purely at the player in similar circumstances. Goff is in the perfect system with a future HOF at RB; Watson has struggled a bit recovering from injury; I wouldn't take Dalton, Flacco, Allen, Rosen, Bortles, Carr, Fitzpatrick, Jameis, Keenum, pre-injury Alex Smith or Mariota over him.

The writing was on the wall for Alex Smith in KC with Mahomes coming in as a 1st rounder and yet they still traded him for a 1st and 3rd.

I'm not advocating for the trade of Stafford but I do believe that if the team decided to make that move it would be somewhat lucrative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I dunno - I'm trying to not look at this with Honolulu coloured glasses. I also think that we might be too close to it as Lions fans. The general perception of Stafford is that he's a top 10 - top 15 QB talent that has been on inconsistent Lions teams. In no particular order, I would take these guys over Stafford: Brady, Mahomes, Brees, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Luck, Wentz, Ryan, Rodgers. The rest would be a bit of a toss up if you're looking purely at the player in similar circumstances. Goff is in the perfect system with a future HOF at RB; Watson has struggled a bit recovering from injury; I wouldn't take Dalton, Flacco, Allen, Rosen, Bortles, Carr, Fitzpatrick, Jameis, Keenum, pre-injury Alex Smith or Mariota over him.

The writing was on the wall for Alex Smith in KC with Mahomes coming in as a 1st rounder and yet they still traded him for a 1st and 3rd.

I'm not advocating for the trade of Stafford but I do believe that if the team decided to make that move it would be somewhat lucrative.

At the time of the Cutler trade the Bears were also extremely desperate for a QB. While I’m certain Chicago thought they were trading for the next Elway opinion on the trade was mixed as I recall. There were other teams interested, including the Lions, so demand also increased return. I think today’s market is different.

Opinion was also split on Cutlers attitude. Stafford has never had any of those types of questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stafford would absolutely have value. I'm not sure what we would get for him, but Sam Bradford got what, a first and a fourth? I imagine Stafford would be worth somewhere between that and the Cutler deal to a team that needs a QB, especially when you consider that the upcoming QB class is supposed to be really weak. 

I just don't think that trading him is the way to go, since you would probably end up using a lot of the resources that you gained in trading him to find a replacement who may or may not end up being anywhere near as good, let alone better than Stafford. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lions017 said:

Stafford would absolutely have value. I'm not sure what we would get for him, but Sam Bradford got what, a first and a fourth? I imagine Stafford would be worth somewhere between that and the Cutler deal to a team that needs a QB, especially when you consider that the upcoming QB class is supposed to be really weak. 

I just don't think that trading him is the way to go, since you would probably end up using a lot of the resources that you gained in trading him to find a replacement who may or may not end up being anywhere near as good, let alone better than Stafford. 

Just throwing this out there - let's say that you could get the Jay Cutler deal for Stafford or something close to it... a 2020 2nd instead of a 1st or something like that. Raiders decide to just dump Carr for a 3rd or 4th. So you're looking at Stafford or

  • 2019 1st
  • 2019 3rd (Traded to Oakland)
  • 2020 2nd Round
  • + Mid-Level Player
  • + Derek Carr

Would we be a better or worse team?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

 No, not even close.  The Bears thought they were trading for John Elway just entering his prime.  Everyone thought the Bears were getting the next elite QB.  Nobody is going to confuse Stafford for Elway.  The book is out on what Stafford is and what he isnt.  The Broncos were able to capitalize on hope and belief, the Lions would have no such advantage.

I agree with this for the most part.  I think Stafford is well respected around the league but he isn't coming off Pro Bowl years and isn't young.  I think he brings in more than Alex Smith did but I can't imagine them getting two first round picks.  I think he could be a good fit in Jacksonville, NYG, and maybe Tampa but other than that most teams have invested significant draft assets or financial assets in their QB's or would rather invest in a QB this year like Oakland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I agree with this for the most part.  I think Stafford is well respected around the league but he isn't coming off Pro Bowl years and isn't young.  I think he brings in more than Alex Smith did but I can't imagine them getting two first round picks.  I think he could be a good fit in Jacksonville, NYG, and maybe Tampa but other than that most teams have invested significant draft assets or financial assets in their QB's or would rather invest in a QB this year like Oakland.

The QB class is considered  to be a rather weak one at this point in the process. Especially if Herbert does not declare.  You're still getting 5-6 years of good play from a guy who is only 30 at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Just throwing this out there - let's say that you could get the Jay Cutler deal for Stafford or something close to it... a 2020 2nd instead of a 1st or something like that. Raiders decide to just dump Carr for a 3rd or 4th. So you're looking at Stafford or

  • 2019 1st
  • 2019 3rd (Traded to Oakland)
  • 2020 2nd Round
  • + Mid-Level Player
  • + Derek Carr

Would we be a better or worse team?

You have a contract albatross either way.  Honestly if you dump Stafford you have to go first round QB and hope that he can be at least as good as Stafford at a fraction of the cost.  That allows you to build up both sides of the line and start to go to work on the secondary.  You already have the skill positions in place.  The problem with that strategy is this is not the year to go after a rookie QB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

The QB class is considered  to be a rather weak one at this point in the process. Especially if Herbert does not declare.  You're still getting 5-6 years of good play from a guy who is only 30 at this point.

5-6 years of big numbers, no playoff wins, and big contracts.  Yes the QB class is weak, but its not so weak that others wont want to do what we are talking about doing here in going with the cheap QB and spending resources elsewhere.  The only people willing to give anything for Stafford would be a team that thinks they are a QB away like the Jags, maybe the Dolphins or Bucs, but not sure any of them would give anything close to what the Bears gave for Cutler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

5-6 years of big numbers, no playoff wins, and big contracts.  Yes the QB class is weak, but its not so weak that others wont want to do what we are talking about doing here in going with the cheap QB and spending resources elsewhere.  The only people willing to give anything for Stafford would be a team that thinks they are a QB away like the Jags, maybe the Dolphins or Bucs, but not sure any of them would give anything close to what the Bears gave for Cutler.

I could see the Jags, Giants, Broncos, Ravens or Skins as possible destinations if the Lions were moving on that track. Lions staff would have the ability to be patient in a rebuild unlike Gase, Harbaugh, Gruden, V. Joseph, Koetter, etc. It does feel like we are always rebuilding but I don't see the Lions wanting to move on from Patricia and Quinn for at least another 2 years. These other guys are really year-to-year at this stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no..they shouldn't trade him. besides it being incredibly stupid to trade away probably your best or at worst top 3 player on your team, cap wise, it's suicide. 

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2018/11/13/detroit-lions-matthew-stafford-2019-beyond/1987149002/

"

Let’s make this clear right now:

The Detroit Lions are not trading Matthew Stafford. They’re not cutting Matthew Stafford. They’re not benching Matthew Stafford.

In fact, they’re not doing anything with Matthew Stafford but playing him at quarterback for the next few years....."

 

^^ this article sums up a lot of it

 

Edited by SimsZilla

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Intriguing thought.... Dangle Stafford Trade in front of Jerry Jones. I would be interested in seeing how much Jerry wants Stafford. He has made crazy trades when he has a chance to get a player he covets. He would totally want a shot at Stafford. Maybe worth a look see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As mentioned pretty weak qb class if your gonna do it this should probably be the year.. as far as value

Edited by Rockcity2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2018 at 12:20 PM, Superman(DH23) said:

You have a contract albatross either way.  Honestly if you dump Stafford you have to go first round QB and hope that he can be at least as good as Stafford at a fraction of the cost.  That allows you to build up both sides of the line and start to go to work on the secondary.  You already have the skill positions in place.  The problem with that strategy is this is not the year to go after a rookie QB

Why do you have to take a first round qb this year? Ya sure we would suck but not like we have the team to do something next year imo.

I think trading him will help in the long run.. forces you to build other areas of your team.. say you trade him but can't find a qb.. then you put more into your run game and D. Then when you do get that qb he won't be lionized.. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

Why do you have to take a first round qb this year? Ya sure we would suck but not like we have the team to do something next year imo.

I think trading him will help in the long run.. forces you to build other areas of your team.. say you trade him but can't find a qb.. then you put more into your run game and D. Then when you do get that qb he won't be lionized.. 

 

I agree. They wouldn’t have to draft a QB this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×