Should the Lions trade Stafford?

Karnage84

1 hour ago, flyguy1609 said:

my thought is if we trade Stafford who we bringing in?????? I heard this rookie class(if all declare) isn't that good.. do we make a play for Winston, Flacco, Carr etc... for better(mostly) or worse Stafford gives us the best bet at qb... maybe the best thing is to get rid jbc???

I think we can all agree that Stafford isn't going to be traded this year. The cap hit seems to be a rather large impediment to that. However, it's a distinct possibility that we could move him in 2020. We should bring in a new OC and upgrade the right side of our line. Add some talent to the WR corp. If there isn't a huge improvement then we can move on.

48 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I think we can all agree that Stafford isn't going to be traded this year. The cap hit seems to be a rather large impediment to that. However, it's a distinct possibility that we could move him in 2020. We should bring in a new OC and upgrade the right side of our line. Add some talent to the WR corp. If there isn't a huge improvement then we can move on.

totally agree come 2020, we could move Stafford. just think it stupid to even talk about before hand esp with the cap hit and the market/rookie qb class coming out next year

4 hours ago, flyguy1609 said:

my thought is if we trade Stafford who we bringing in?????? I heard this rookie class(if all declare) isn't that good.. do we make a play for Winston, Flacco, Carr etc... for better(mostly) or worse Stafford gives us the best bet at qb... maybe the best thing is to get rid jbc???

No doubt that Stafford would most likely be the better choice at QB and I’m not saying that they should move him. I just like the possibility of having two top ten picks in a defense loaded draft. 

3 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Agreed but IMO it’s fun to think we could add players like Oliver AND White to this defense. 

I also think a team like Jacksonville could be desperate for a QB now and not want to take a chance on what’s in the draft. I don’t think they’re in a position though where they could take on Staffords cap hit easily tho. 

2 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:

Agreed but IMO it’s fun to think we could add players like Oliver AND White to this defense. 

I also think a team like Jacksonville could be desperate for a QB now and not want to take a chance on what’s in the draft. I don’t think they’re in a position though where they could take on Staffords cap hit easily tho. 

I could be wrong but pretty sure that the Jags couldn't even take on his salary based on the cap rules even if they wanted to.

I still think Stafford is a top 10 QB. My main concern is whether we have enough time to build the roster up around him before he starts hitting the age barrier.

9 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I could be wrong but pretty sure that the Jags couldn't even take on his salary based on the cap rules even if they wanted to.

I still think Stafford is a top 10 QB. My main concern is whether we have enough time to build the roster up around him before he starts hitting the age barrier.

There would have to be a lot of money moved somehow but it’s something that could happen. There’s several ways to shift numbers elsewhere to make it fit. 

The likelihood of it is slim to none but it’s not something unattainable if it’s wanted. 

I’m really starting to lean more towards him being a little bit lower than top 10. He definitely has the talent but IMO he’s never been consistent enough with it through a length of time. His highs are really high but his lows can be pretty low. 

I’m not denying that he hasn’t had the greatest staff/personnel around him, but he makes a lot of money. 

Moving on from Stafford almost guarantees your worst next year not better. You'll not be able to spend money, You won't get a better QB in the open market anyways, and as far as drafting one, I think Ryan Finley can be something but who know's how good really. I think his ceiling is Matt Ryan more likely to turn out like Derek Carr or Andy Dalton his floor, imo, is he's just a career back up. To me he's a guy that needs time anyways so you'd have to bring a veteran in on top of that. Finely though, Not a guy you just trade Stafford for and take the cap hit and the chance on. 

You trade Stafford if you get multiple early round picks in multiple years or if a team offers it's first four picks in the 19 draft. 

No one's going to offer something crazy like that so yeah, the Stafford trades are kinda "meh". As far as reality. Should they trade him, outside of money, yeah. This is real life though and yeah no one can ignore the money. 

2 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Moving on from Stafford almost guarantees your worst next year not better. You'll not be able to spend money, You won't get a better QB in the open market anyways, and as far as drafting one, I think Ryan Finley can be something but who know's how good really. I think his ceiling is Matt Ryan more likely to turn out like Derek Carr or Andy Dalton his floor, imo, is he's just a career back up. To me he's a guy that needs time anyways so you'd have to bring a veteran in on top of that. Finely though, Not a guy you just trade Stafford for and take the cap hit and the chance on. 

You trade Stafford if you get multiple early round picks in multiple years or if a team offers it's first four picks in the 19 draft. 

No one's going to offer something crazy like that so yeah, the Stafford trades are kinda "meh". As far as reality. Should they trade him, outside of money, yeah. This is real life though and yeah no one can ignore the money. 

If something could be worked out with the money and we received a 1st, 3rd and 2020 2nd then I think we can at least consider the move. I think it's overall a very difficult because we make that deal assuming that BQ/MP can build a team with all of those picks. However, a franchise QB is very difficult to find... even a guy who is top 15 can be difficult (which Stafford is even if on the bottom end)...so you should be able to build a team around a guy like that.

So either a) Stafford isn't a franchise QB and we need to move on from him regardless or b) the front office is inadequate in building a team.  

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

If something could be worked out with the money and we received a 1st, 3rd and 2020 2nd then I think we can at least consider the move. I think it's overall a very difficult because we make that deal assuming that BQ/MP can build a team with all of those picks. However, a franchise QB is very difficult to find... even a guy who is top 15 can be difficult (which Stafford is even if on the bottom end)...so you should be able to build a team around a guy like that.

So either a) Stafford isn't a franchise QB and we need to move on from him regardless or b) the front office is inadequate in building a team.  

Problem is he's not a franchise qb..

Your satisfied with him being a top 15 qb.. ya ok we will an avg team like we are. We've been building around this guy since he got here.. he doesn't make guys better. If you like mediocrity you got your guy

1 hour ago, Rockcity2 said:

Problem is he's not a franchise qb..

Your satisfied with him being a top 15 qb.. ya ok we will an avg team like we are. We've been building around this guy since he got here.. he doesn't make guys better. If you like mediocrity you got your guy

I do think that he has the talent to be a top 10 guy with a better team around him. We've struggled for years upon years on defense and the lack of a rushing attack. I'd rather Matthew Stafford than Blake Bortles.

5 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I do think that he has the talent to be a top 10 guy with a better team around him. We've struggled for years upon years on defense and the lack of a rushing attack. I'd rather Matthew Stafford than Blake Bortles.

Ya he needs an elite line and recievers..with what he needs you might as well forget the D..

51 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

Ya he needs an elite line and recievers..with what he needs you might as well forget the D..

Brady is the GOAT and it's not like the Patriots keep their cupboards bare. It's an unfair expectation that Stafford is going to win SB's with no protection, no running game, a bunch of no name WR's and no defense. You need talent and coaches who can develop that talent. We found a solid RB in Kerryon but we'll need to add another one to take over for Blount. Jones will be back next year but we'll need to add another receiving threat into the mix. The right side of our OL hasn't worked out too well.

We couldn't stop the run until Snacks was brought on board. Quin is losing a step and the depth behind Slay at CB has been marginal. It's tough to win games if you can't stop the run and you're letting the other team consistently make completions.

8 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Brady is the GOAT and it's not like the Patriots keep their cupboards bare. It's an unfair expectation that Stafford is going to win SB's with no protection, no running game, a bunch of no name WR's and no defense. You need talent and coaches who can develop that talent. We found a solid RB in Kerryon but we'll need to add another one to take over for Blount. Jones will be back next year but we'll need to add another receiving threat into the mix. The right side of our OL hasn't worked out too well.

We couldn't stop the run until Snacks was brought on board. Quin is losing a step and the depth behind Slay at CB has been marginal. It's tough to win games if you can't stop the run and you're letting the other team consistently make completions.

Absolutely. It’s also tough to win games when your QB throws 2 INTs late in the fourth quarter.

Dont get me wrong here, I like Stafford but if he needs THAT much to make the playoffs and maybe be better then he shouldn’t be paid 28 million. 

I’m not saying he’s not good, he definitely has talent but he’s never really been able to remain consistent. 

Archived