Should the Lions trade Stafford?

Karnage84

13 hours ago, jrry32 said:

You know, I wasn't sold on Patricia with all the reports about locker room strife, but he comes up with some great gameplans against the best offenses in football. Find a quality OC, and y'all might have something next year. You're not miles off.

The schemes definitely can work. Just need different skill sets in the players than they needed under Teryl Austin. All 3 levels play with different techniques. Lions will probably see one of the larger roster turnovers next season. I'm just praying they throw a ton of money at Kliff Kingsbury. 

9 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

The schemes definitely can work. Just need different skill sets in the players than they needed under Teryl Austin. All 3 levels play with different techniques. Lions will probably see one of the larger roster turnovers next season. I'm just praying they throw a ton of money at Kliff Kingsbury. 

If TB fires Koetter, y'all should go after Todd Monken. IMO, he's extremely underrated. If I were a team looking for a HC, I'd strongly consider him.

17 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

What about Nathaniel Hackett?

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

What about Nathaniel Hackett?

Hopefully not. There's a Syracuse connection which could make it possible, but he's not really the kind of coach they need to go after. Not sure he's ever actually ran an efficient offense. 

5 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

Hopefully not. There's a Syracuse connection which could make it possible, but he's not really the kind of coach they need to go after. Not sure he's ever actually ran an efficient offense. 

I'm not too familiar with him. However, he seems to have done a decent job with the talentless Bortles. He was getting rave reviews for his scheme vs the Steelers last year. I've been pretty disconnected the last year so I'm mainly just going on hearsay.

26 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I'm not too familiar with him. However, he seems to have done a decent job with the talentless Bortles. He was getting rave reviews for his scheme vs the Steelers last year. I've been pretty disconnected the last year so I'm mainly just going on hearsay.

He's reliant far too much on the running game. We need someone who can come in and run an offense that works in the modern era of football. The game has evolved a lot in the past 15 years, guys trying run these late 90's/early 2000's aren't going to work.

Just now, IDOG_det said:

He's reliant far too much on the running game. We need someone who can come in and run an offense that works in the modern era of football. The game has evolved a lot in the past 15 years, guys trying run these late 90's/early 2000's aren't going to work.

Fair enough but we've also been FAR too reliant on the passing game in the past. Our offense has lacked balance. We've had more success this year when we've consistently run the ball. We can't telegraph a rush on 1st and 2nd down every series. We do need to be creative and add some wrinkles.

My concern with Kingsbury is that he hasn't been an OC or even a position coach at the NFL level. I'd love to see him come in as a QB coach and develop into the guy. He isn't leaving Texas Tech by his own choice, so there are some question marks there.

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

If TB fires Koetter, y'all should go after Todd Monken. IMO, he's extremely underrated. If I were a team looking for a HC, I'd strongly consider him.

He's probably #2 on the list. He's coached in the area before too, so he should be familiar and comfortable with being in Detroit. 

1 hour ago, IDOG_det said:

I agree though honestly man. When I look at Hacketts history with QB's... What the heck, Stafford would easily be the most talent guy he's ever coached at QB. Talk about always getting a raw deal as a coach, lol. 

On 12/2/2018 at 4:42 PM, IDOG_det said:

@jrry32 is a Rams fan, man. He kinda knows a thing or two about the impact a coaching change can have. Goff looked like trash under Jeff Fisher, and now he looks like one of the better QBs in the NFL under McVay. Stop looking at the money Stafford is paid, it's irrelevant because you're going to have to pay any other halfway decent QB just as much with how the QB market is going. In a year or two his contract will look like a steal.

I don't care if he's an NFL scout, he's not been watching the Lions/Stafford clearly the last ten years. Way to come up with a solid opinion Jrry32 over 1 game you watched. You see the Jets game? How about about the Bears? You see 2016? 2015? Any of it? Or just stat checking and noticing who we don't have right now vs who we had at the start of the season. Have you seen him choke against every playoff, hell even non-playoff caliber team in the last 10 years when it counts? Or what, none of that is his fault and they just need to flip the script on him again? Nothing against you at all, I'm just being a little sarcastic but seriously man, at some point what gives here?

10 years time and a come back victory against the Browns is the signature win? WOW. I mean I'm not sititng here and calling him complete trash either he's just not the QB people are sold to believe. He's more like Andy Dalton/Jay Cutler than Aaron Rodgers, believe that. He needs ALOT of talent around him, like a lot. 

Ok fellas, unfortunately for me we all know I won't get my wish of a total rebuild from FO/HC/QB. I'd literally settle for new FO/Coaches which is what I think Jrry32 originally said, but that't not happening either, I think we'll be here again next year asking our self's why Stafford can't win against good competition. It's not that he's totally the problem, he's not, the FO is too, but at the same-time he's not the solution either. He needs to be milked for assets for a rebuild imo. Stafford's just one of those guys, if I could surround him with top talent at a reasonable price for his talents then fine, but he's getting top money to perform average. People tell me to get over the money... I never had a problem with the money till he's literally proven he's not near top 10 QB material... If you're not that guy then I need that extra 8-12 million to get you a top notch weapon/protection. Spent wisely a good Gm can get more than 1 guy with that money. 

* Brady, Breese, Big Ben, Rivers, Rodgers, Wilson, Ryan, Luck, Newton, Mahomes, Wentz. *

Like he's more similar with names like Dalton/ Goff/ Carr/ Jimmy G/ Watson/ Trubisky/ Cousins and more so, the problem is he's not getting better. Those guys have chances to get better outside of Dalton imo. 

* I sound combative often... I just want you guys to know how bad I want you to be actually right so I can enjoy watching the Lions. Theres nothing like Sundays when the teams in the playoff hunt/race. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2018 at 9:47 AM, IDOG_det said:

Does kliff know how to run the ball..

I'm not sure about throwing a ton of money at him.. what changes would he bring? 

Trading Stafford is fairly silly at this stage.  Even if you could get the so-called Cutler deal (which I think is a bit too rich for a 30yr old QB), who's your QB for 2019.  There's not the Darnolds, Mayfields, or Allens in this draft.   Are we going to go after a recycled FA  QB like Teddy Bridgewater or some team's backup QB.  I say focus on building up the "D".  Add a CB to go opposite Slay, an edge rusher strong enough to also play the run,  some more LB's, a WR for the slot, and some OL.   Build a really tough D, which should help keep us in games and hope Stafford re dedicates himself in the off season.

Peyton Manning breaking down a couple of Stafford's plays. He pretty much says that Stafford has been staring down his receivers too much allowing the defense to make plays. Isn't that something rookies should be working on instead of 10 year vets?

Archived