Should the Lions trade Stafford?

Karnage84

16 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

Peyton Manning breaking down a couple of Stafford's plays. He pretty much says that Stafford has been staring down his receivers too much allowing the defense to make plays. Isn't that something rookies should be working on instead of 10 year vets?

Feels like he's getting worse about it..especially 3rd down. He acts like a 50yo qb waiting to get hit..

Then you have rookies throwing no look passes..

22 hours ago, lioneye22 said:

Trading Stafford is fairly silly at this stage.  Even if you could get the so-called Cutler deal (which I think is a bit too rich for a 30yr old QB), who's your QB for 2019.  There's not the Darnolds, Mayfields, or Allens in this draft.   Are we going to go after a recycled FA  QB like Teddy Bridgewater or some team's backup QB.  I say focus on building up the "D".  Add a CB to go opposite Slay, an edge rusher strong enough to also play the run,  some more LB's, a WR for the slot, and some OL.   Build a really tough D, which should help keep us in games and hope Stafford re dedicates himself in the off season.

My point would be who really cares? You'd basically back to back double up on top picks for a extremely good chance to bounce back in those two draft's.

The scenario takes real digging and understanding. Trade Stafford cripples the cap situation next year, almost insuring Lions don't go out and spend a bunch of money on junk players. They can still cut/move on from guys like Wagner/Lang, etc, if they want to and free up money to bring in guys. They'll have two drafts with four top 50 selections plus the picks from the Stafford deal and compensation pick we're likely to get from Ziggy. With money to spend in the 2020 off-season to get... whatever they want basically. 

If you trade Stafford it's a full complete rebuild. It's not even about being good/making the playoff next season. It's about getting in place to give the Lions a chance to set up a foundation for years to come. No guarantee they even draft the right guys, but it gives the team a chance to controll alot of guys long-term if they hit on the half dozen or so selections they have in the first three rounds.* Assuming they got a Jay Cutler like return. 

********* If they don't get a Jay Cutler like deal, a 1st round pick or multiple 2nds... Idk if you even deal Stafford, just not worth it for a weak pick when we can move on from him cheaper next year or even the following year. I mean it's not really a conversation to trade him to me unless a team like the Giants or TB came up and was like ok... 

NYG/TB: 1st rdp, 3rd rdp, and 2nd rdp in 2020. 

for

Matthew Stafford.

Idk, I think that raise's most peoples eyebrows honestly, like it or not. 

We all know they'll do nothing though. Like really. I know this. I've spent too much effort on this post already lol. 

On 12/27/2018 at 8:17 PM, detroitlions72003 said:
  • if dwayne haskins is availablle at your pick u take him and ship off Stafford to Jax or NYG right after that for their pick. Take the hit and look toward the future

Eww

This is what you do... Trade Stafford now, get young, tank for two years, and then draft Trevor Lawrence. 

On 12/18/2018 at 10:38 AM, Rockcity2 said:

Feels like he's getting worse about it..especially 3rd down. He acts like a 50yo qb waiting to get hit..

Then you have rookies throwing no look passes..

Stafford absolutely lost trust in the pass blocking this year. Understandable if you ask me.

Archived