Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Raves

2019 NFL Draft - *Yawn* or Mortgage More!

Recommended Posts

I'm always okay with leveraging a draft pick for an NFL ready player, as long as there is some youth left in them.

That said, have you been watching what we're drafting now? The accounting department is killing it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe you left out WR... Thomas is a stud but we're lacking outside of that. Ginn is old and Smith has a chance to be a good player but beyond that this team lacks a player at the position to truly make opposing defenses pay for bracketing Thomas and Kamara. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

I can't believe you left out WR... Thomas is a stud but we're lacking outside of that. Ginn is old and Smith has a chance to be a good player but beyond that this team lacks a player at the position to truly make opposing defenses pay for bracketing Thomas and Kamara. 

I made this back when Ginn was healthy and we were all still pretty high on what Smith could provide.  Obviously WR would be added to the list, but you really don't mortgage the future for a WR unless you are sure to get a Julio Jones/Calvin Johnson type.  We'd be more likely to maybe move up a little in the 2nd to secure one than we were to trade high future capital for one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've got some guys that are going to need paid, so there will obviously be replacements.

Tyler Davidson - FA
All of our TE's are becoming FA's

Big Names:
Mark Ingram - Already tried to hold out, so we know he's going to ask for the moon.
Thomas Morested - Worth whatever he asks for
Michael Thomas - will hold out if he doesn't get a new contract. He's due $1.14mil. He's worth $90mil.

I think Brees plays another year. We need a line to keep him clean for his last year, and to keep the next guy from getting rattled.
Our D-Line is really good, and could be GREAT with another DT and a rotational edge guy. Plus, Cam can't be expected to play every down as he starts to age. He is in his prime right now, and probably next year, then he'll decline a bit.

We need another WR or two, CB and Safety, another Linebacker, and a slew of O-lineman.

Just as well figure on a RB to replace Ingram. He'll go elsewhere.

Edited by Mid Iowa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really think we should invest the 2nd round pick in a LT of the future. I love Terron Armstead. I think when healthy he's one of the best LT's in the NFL. However, history has shown us that he'll miss 4-6 games every season. With this offense, how good it is really depends on our O-line and Brees. Everything else is secondary to that. Our ground game isn't effective. Our passing game is limited.

Initially I thought we should get a TE. Someone who can block and be a factor in the passing game, but I think O-line is a more pressing concern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

I really think we should invest the 2nd round pick in a LT of the future. I love Terron Armstead. I think when healthy he's one of the best LT's in the NFL. However, history has shown us that he'll miss 4-6 games every season. With this offense, how good it is really depends on our O-line and Brees. Everything else is secondary to that. Our ground game isn't effective. Our passing game is limited.

Initially I thought we should get a TE. Someone who can block and be a factor in the passing game, but I think O-line is a more pressing concern.

This is exactly what we were talking about in the off season. I said the same thing, he's one of the best...when he's on the field. That's really tough to rely on.

And he's out for Monday's game, so here's another 5 games missed.
Hopefully he can play the entire playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bu7VCs3ld5efCR3fDjj_vM09KjYbY_SBDkdJHRJPOew/edit?usp=sharing

2019 NFL Draft Database. Good draft resource. Updated all the combine players. All the video organized here. Have at it. 

Wish I had more footballs for you man. This forum isn’t the one that’s gonna give you the numbers boost. 

Appreciate it none the less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just my 2 cents on Teddy. Is there a single team in the next two seasons that would provide a better situation for him? I really can't think of one. He's still young, and I know he want's to play, but I don't see how you don't tough it out in a city that likes you, with some very good offensive weapons and a great core on D that should still be more than solid when you take over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, navysaintsfan said:

Just my 2 cents on Teddy. Is there a single team in the next two seasons that would provide a better situation for him? I really can't think of one. He's still young, and I know he want's to play, but I don't see how you don't tough it out in a city that likes you, with some very good offensive weapons and a great core on D that should still be more than solid when you take over.

It's all gonna be about the money. Saints could put a transition tag on him to match any offers he gets, but if nobody offers him anything (unlikely) we'd be stuck paying him $20m... and we don't have $20m

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2019 at 8:19 AM, navysaintsfan said:

Just my 2 cents on Teddy. Is there a single team in the next two seasons that would provide a better situation for him? I really can't think of one. He's still young, and I know he want's to play, but I don't see how you don't tough it out in a city that likes you, with some very good offensive weapons and a great core on D that should still be more than solid when you take over.

He's almost certainly going to get a better contract from another team and he's almost assuredly going to see the field sooner with another team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2019 at 8:55 PM, CWood21 said:

He's almost certainly going to get a better contract from another team and he's almost assuredly going to see the field sooner with another team.

While both of these statements may be true, it still may not be in his best interest long term. What types of teams will he throwing money at him? Are these teams that are dumpster fires on offense? Will these teams make it difficult for him to showcase his ability? 

As much as I love Drew Brees, I won't be shocked if this next season is his last year in the NFL, I also won't be shocked if he starts to rapidly decline this year. In many ways he was great last season for us (obviously), but even as one of the "biggest Saints homers" on this site, I can recognize that his physical abilities have deteriorated quite a bit.

I legitimately don't recall one quality deep ball (over 40 yards in the air) thrown by Brees last season. Brees had excellent stats last year, but there was a noticeable decline towards the end of the season. This in theory could be caused by several different things, but my gut is telling me it is most likely a sign of things to come with Brees. This isn't to say Brees will be a trainwreck this upcoming season, but it wouldn't shock me to see him out up a middle of the road type season this year for us. If he has a Payton Manning type dropoff or 2010 Favre dropoff in play, it sure would be nice to have a guy like Teddy ready to go with our current roster, which in my opinion can still make a deep playoff run with solid QB play, which I think Teddy can provide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2019 at 6:11 AM, tyler735 said:

While both of these statements may be true, it still may not be in his best interest long term. What types of teams will he throwing money at him? Are these teams that are dumpster fires on offense? Will these teams make it difficult for him to showcase his ability? 

As much as I love Drew Brees, I won't be shocked if this next season is his last year in the NFL, I also won't be shocked if he starts to rapidly decline this year. In many ways he was great last season for us (obviously), but even as one of the "biggest Saints homers" on this site, I can recognize that his physical abilities have deteriorated quite a bit.

I legitimately don't recall one quality deep ball (over 40 yards in the air) thrown by Brees last season. Brees had excellent stats last year, but there was a noticeable decline towards the end of the season. This in theory could be caused by several different things, but my gut is telling me it is most likely a sign of things to come with Brees. This isn't to say Brees will be a trainwreck this upcoming season, but it wouldn't shock me to see him out up a middle of the road type season this year for us. If he has a Payton Manning type dropoff or 2010 Favre dropoff in play, it sure would be nice to have a guy like Teddy ready to go with our current roster, which in my opinion can still make a deep playoff run with solid QB play, which I think Teddy can provide.

I agree with your assessment @tyler735. Two major things, IMO, need to happen on offense for Teddy (provided he is resigned) to step in. They are as follows:

1)  O-line play -- protection is paramount and minimal to no injuries is key. That way they can gel!

2)  Run, Run, Run! -- running game needs to be present a majority of the time. This would allow Teddy to showcase his talents and ease into the position as perhaps the next franchise QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×