James Paxton Traded to the Yankees for Justus Sheffield, Erik Swanson, Dom Thompson-Williams

ramssuperbowl99

24 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

He's pitched 160 innings just once.  Lots of injury history for a 30 year old guy too.  So the Yankees have two options- let it ride with him and get what they can, or manage him like a 4-5 starter to get the most out of his innings.  Of all the starting pitchers who could be available via trade, Paxton was at the bottom of my list. 

Nothing with his shoulder/elbow.  Guy is legit and we basically traded him for an unproven prospect.  Big win for the Yankees IMO.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/get-ready-for-a-james-paxton-blockbuster/

Over his big-league career, he’s dealt with a lat strain, shoulder inflammation, a strained finger tendon, a torn fingernail, a bruised bicep, forearm tightness and the pectoral strain. Some are fluky, others are frustrating. It’s why he continues to be open to new ways to forego such problems, even if it means no more grilled-cheese sandwiches.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/james-paxton-searches-for-ways-to-remain-healthy-for-the-mariners-in-2018/

This was his injury history before this year.  He also went on the DL for a substantial amount of time this year with back problems.  

Some guys just get hurt.  It's genetics, and a lot of those muscle/tendon problems are probably that.  There are some weird ones, like the fingernail.  

However, we are talking about asset management here.  The Yankees just traded a top 25 MLB prospect, who would be the centerpiece of any deal for a starting pitcher this year, along with two other prospects, for a 30 year old pitcher who has just two years of team control left, and who has pitched a grand total of 582.1 major league innings since his cup of coffee in 2013.  In my opinion, this was very poor asset management for the Yankees, and I would've rather used Sheffield for another starting pitcher.  

34 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

This was his injury history before this year.  He also went on the DL for a substantial amount of time this year with back problems.  

Some guys just get hurt.  It's genetics, and a lot of those muscle/tendon problems are probably that.  There are some weird ones, like the fingernail.  

However, we are talking about asset management here.  The Yankees just traded a top 25 MLB prospect, who would be the centerpiece of any deal for a starting pitcher this year, along with two other prospects, for a 30 year old pitcher who has just two years of team control left, and who has pitched a grand total of 582.1 major league innings since his cup of coffee in 2013.  In my opinion, this was very poor asset management for the Yankees, and I would've rather used Sheffield for another starting pitcher.  

what other starting pitcher? any of the indians guys likely bring back signifcantly larger returns, imo yanks did really well here.

Sad to see Paxton go, but the writing was on the wall. 

Secondary assets seem weak, but I guess they took the best center piece they could get. With Paxton's injury questions, and potentially some really good arms on the market, I guess we can't really expect a ransom. 

17 minutes ago, Eagles27 said:

Sad to see Paxton go, but the writing was on the wall. 

Secondary assets seem weak, but I guess they took the best center piece they could get. With Paxton's injury questions, and potentially some really good arms on the market, I guess we can't really expect a ransom. 

Same, I'm gonna miss Big Maple a lot. Frustrating player since he's always injured, but a great pitcher when healthy. Can't help but love the guy.

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

What other pitcher(s) are you thinking of? Even with the injuries he's been between 3.5-4.5 WAR these last 3 years. The only better would be non injury concern aces. Those would cost significantly more.

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Sheffield is a very good but not elite pitching prospect. He is not gonna get anyone better than Paxton by himself. Cash is not stupid.

4 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I think this seems...reasonable at a high level. Paxton is really talented, but a huge injury concern. Sheffield is a really good prospect, but risky and he's the only important piece coming back.

Agree

Hopefully it works out on both sides, but could easily be a no win deal too

16 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I think this seems...reasonable at a high level. Paxton is really talented, but a huge injury concern. Sheffield is a really good prospect, but risky and he's the only important piece coming back.

I like the deal a little more for the Yankees, but that's probably because I have never been enamored with Sheffield.  Still, can't blame the M's for dealing Paxton before he sprains his ankle putting on his shoes or something.

18 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

I like the deal a little more for the Yankees, but that's probably because I have never been enamored with Sheffield.  Still, can't blame the M's for dealing Paxton before he sprains his ankle putting on his shoes or something.

I don't particularly love Sheffield either, but isn't that what makes it a fair deal? Both of the headliners have one significant flaw.

10 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I don't particularly love Sheffield either, but isn't that what makes it a fair deal? Both of the headliners have one significant flaw.

Hasn't Sheffield had some injury stuff too, in addition to his iffy command? Or am I making that up?  

Archived