Hate Week Part 2 - Thanksgiving Falcon Roast GDT

Dome

Two things I learned from last nights game, KC vs LA. First, Brees is the clear cut MVP. We don't see him with 5 costly turnovers in primetime. He's done what he has against better defensive competition. Secondly, I am not afraid of either of those teams heading towards a possible Super Bowl.

Lets cook some bird Thursday

11 hours ago, JMG5 said:

Season over. Canadian Saint didn't make the GDT. We won't win another game now. :(

Nah. We've had lots of GD threads from others where we won. (Atlanta, NYG, Was). It's gonna be ok. The Saints are better than superstition.

...that being said, I will try not to watch this game. I've caught the majority of only one this season and it was.... the first. :( 

3 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

Failclowns are still a deadly team on offense.....they didn't have much trouble scoring in the first meeting

Our defense has been playing much better since the last meeting, and the Falcons have not been as potent on offense since. To make it even worse for them they are playing us in the Superdome 

46 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

Failclowns are still a deadly team on offense.....they didn't have much trouble scoring in the first meeting

I feel a LOT better about this meeting. Matty throws multiple picks and Rankins/Cam/Anzalone/Davis combine for 4 sacks and are in on two turnovers whether by fumble, pressure or tipped passes

book it y’all, write it in pen 

So they won't get as much love, but I wanted to take a post and highlight the improvements on the D. We started like the historically bad defense of the past, but for most of the season they've become really good. Some stats:

DVOA Weeks 1-3: 31st

DVOA Weeks 4-11: 12th

PPG Weeks 1-3: 31.6

PPG Weeks 4-11: 19.4

This is from another Saints fan site, but here is the Saints D ranks since Apple was acquired:

Interceptions - T-1st (7)

Scoring D - T-5th (19 PPG)

Total D - 13th (346.5 Yards/game)

Takeaways - 3rd (8)

Actually right now, we give up a lower PPG than both KC and the Rams.

Essentially this post wanted to say that while we had a horrid start to the season defensively, since then at worst they've been league average. Realistically I think they've been better, and I honestly think the turn around is due to 3 players. Rankins, Anzalone and Apple. Rankins being disruptive in the middle has allowed our pass rush to be really effective and generating pressure. Anzalone being a LB who can drop into coverage effectively has helped coverage in the short areas and lastly Apple has freed up the safeties to help in other areas. Those combined, I'd argue we've played like a top 10 D more than a middling one.

Falcon games are always a toss up. The best rivalry in the NFL, and these games are always close. Normally I pick us splitting the season with them, but with their losses to the Browns and Dallas in the particular fashions they lost, I think they've checked out mentally. It'll be tough sledding till the 3rd, then we'll pull away I reckon. We'll also be better on Ridley thank god. Scheduling gods actually helped us on this year too. Back-to-back TNF games at home (ATL) and then a short trip to Dallas is great, especially considering we have a 10 day break after that. Should really help us rest up for the end stretch. Especially against the Panthers.

34-17 Saints

Also, all in favor of having @Dome drawn and quartered if we some how come up short this week? ;)

1 hour ago, Dome said:

I feel a LOT better about this meeting. Matty throws multiple picks and Rankins/Cam/Anzalone/Davis combine for 4 sacks and are in on two turnovers whether by fumble, pressure or tipped passes

book it y’all, write it in pen 

I feel good about it too, but the Falcons would love nothing more than to spoil the Saints season. 

Archived