Hate Week Part 2 - Thanksgiving Falcon Roast GDT

Dome

On 11/27/2018 at 5:22 PM, Jlowe22 said:

Hunting just for the sake of killing, I do have a problem with.

I think you’re in the 99% on this one. There’s nowhere in the US where that’s legal and if imagine its pretty much universally frowned upon by everyone except for people who are inherently scumbags already for not frowning on such behavior. 

FWIW my comment about the tracking collar was to point out it probably wasn’t hard, or that this is a hunting reserve and they keep tabs on wolves. Not a moral judgement for trophy hunting. I’m sure somebody took the fur, that’s the whole reason we nearly ran them extinct in the first place. It’s still valuable today. 

1 hour ago, Dome said:

I think you’re in the 99% on this one. There’s nowhere in the US where that’s legal and if imagine its pretty much universally frowned upon by everyone except for people who are inherently scumbags already for not frowning on such behavior. 

FWIW my comment about the tracking collar was to point out it probably wasn’t hard, or that this is a hunting reserve and they keep tabs on wolves. Not a moral judgement for trophy hunting. I’m sure somebody took the fur, that’s the whole reason we nearly ran them extinct in the first place. It’s still valuable today. 

That and we wanted to settle on their land yet we couldn't figure out why they kept attacking our animals...

The wolf was eradicated from Yellowstone National Park. In 1992 they reintroduced the wolf and completely healed the ecosystem of that Park. A very valuable creature, for sure.

There's some pretty good information about that transformation on the interwebs if you care to look into it

I had a pet wolf in my teens. Best dog I've ever had. I just can't wrap my head around why somebody would want to shoot a dog.

1 hour ago, Mid Iowa said:

I had a pet wolf in my teens. Best dog I've ever had. I just can't wrap my head around why somebody would want to shoot a dog.

What I can’t wrap my head around is how you’re making the leap from shooting a wolf to shooting a dog like it’s the same or even comparable. They’re not remotely the same, and if you think they are I’d challenge you to go scratch a grey wolf behind the ears or try to rub his belly. 

There are lots of reasons people hunt wolves or other predators, you don’t have to agree with them... but if you don’t understand them, that’s on you. 

9 hours ago, Dome said:

My comment wasn't about anything in particular, just a general statement.

14 hours ago, Dome said:

What I can’t wrap my head around is how you’re making the leap from shooting a wolf to shooting a dog like it’s the same or even comparable. They’re not remotely the same, and if you think they are I’d challenge you to go scratch a grey wolf behind the ears or try to rub his belly. 

There are lots of reasons people hunt wolves or other predators, you don’t have to agree with them... but if you don’t understand them, that’s on you. 

Well, they are in fact, Dogs.
You can tame a wolf. A wolf raised by a human will act just like a dog.
On the other hand, a domestic dog born and raised in the wild will be (potentially) vicious.
I've not only owned a wolf, I have a friend who bread them, successfully. They are amazing dogs. I'll say it again, they're dogs.

35 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Well, they are in fact, Dogs.

But you see the narrative you've painted and realize that it's not really accurate to 99.9% of the populations definitions without more context, right? Technically you're right, but in day to day conversation if you say "wolf" or "dog" everyone has 2 very completely different images in their mind and there's no confusion about what animal you're discussing. 

You're talking about your domesticated pet and comparing people hunting wild wolves to wanting to "shoot dogs" as if those wolves being hunted and your family pet are the same animal. You're calling a wolf a dog because it was raised in captivity, fine. But you can't take that definition and then apply it to the wild wolves and expect people to act like it's the same thing when making a critique of hunting them. Semantics don't make for a strong argument.

You can tame a wolf. A wolf raised by a human will act just like a dog.

See, you've done it to yourself. You know they're different otherwise the wolf wouldn't have to "act" like a dog, it would just be a dog. 

PS: Wolf dogs are illegal in a lot of places and highly regulated in many others for a reason, they can be unpredictable and dangerous. Sometimes they need to be 3 generations removed from wild wolves to be legally kept, sometimes they have to have only a certain % of true wolf DNA.

On the other hand, a domestic dog born and raised in the wild will be (potentially) vicious.

Of course.

35 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

I've not only owned a wolf, I have a friend who bread them, successfully.

My friend had a wolf growing up and it was awesome, but like all animals you have bad ones in the bunch. I'm not saying a wolf can't be a good pet.

They are amazing dogs. I'll say it again, they're dogs.

I thought they were just acting like dogs? ;)

All in all, you're right. They're dogs. But you're being disingenuous to the conversation to bring up "shooting dogs" and "pets" as a way to critique or question hunting wild wolves.

Dome, I kinda get the feeling you just want to argue with me. 

You have your opinions, I have mine.  The parallels between a wolf and dog are incredibly tight. In my opinion, and psychologically, shooting a wolf for pleasure, out on the open planes is virtually hunting a dog, and is just sick. And we all know he's not eating them, which pisses me to no end.

I'm a hunter, so I'm not anti hunting. I'm anti hunting just to be killing stuff. Especially for an ego trip. Why wolves and not prairie dogs (much smaller target).

Anyway, I'm kinda done with talking about a dallas ******, so I'll bow out here. We're not going to see eye to eye with this.

16 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

It’s not about you, it’s about the argument you’re making. I’d be arguing with anyone that took that stance. That’s what a forum is for, people talk about stuff and when they disagree they talk about that too. 

The parallels between a wolf and dog are incredibly tight

Btw if you had taken this stance in the beginning, we never would’ve had an argument. 

Its now clear you see that they’re different, but similar (a wolf “acts” like a (pet) dog, and they have “parallels” to a (pet) dog) and have taken a stance much more palletable for me :) I can agree with that 

You have your opinions, I have mine.  The parallels between a wolf and dog are incredibly tight. In my opinion, and psychologically, shooting a wolf for pleasure, out on the open planes is virtually hunting a dog, and is just sick. And we all know he's not eating them, which pisses me to no end.

I'm a hunter, so I'm not anti hunting. I'm anti hunting just to be killing stuff. Especially for an ego trip. Why wolves and not prairie dogs (much smaller target).

Anyway, I'm kinda done with talking about a dallas ******, so I'll bow out here. We're not going to see eye to eye with this.

I feel like this is a huge stretch. 

Some people keep lions as pets. After all, its just a cat. The parallels between a lion and a cat are incredibly tight.

BTW - I am not debating the morality aspect; just the fact that you are hammering that Old Yeller and a Wolf are basically the same thing. You can tame a Wolf, like a lion, but they will never be domesticated.

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

I feel like this is a huge stretch. 

Some people keep lions as pets. After all, its just a cat. The parallels between a lion and a cat are incredibly tight.

BTW - I am not debating the morality aspect; just the fact that you are hammering that Old Yeller and a Wolf are basically the same thing. You can tame a Wolf, like a lion, but they will never be domesticated.

Not really the same.
Cat = 5-25lbs. Lion = 300-550lbs. <--this seems like a HUGE stretch to me.
Old yeller = 70-100lbs. Wolf = 70-120lbs. <--this, not such a stretch.

4 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Not really the same.
Cat = 5-25lbs. Lion = 300-550lbs. <--this seems like a HUGE stretch to me.
Old yeller = 70-100lbs. Wolf = 70-120lbs. <--this, not such a stretch.

I used hyperbole to make a point. That should have been clear. If you wanted me to make it more apropos, I am sure I could have compared a Chihuahua to Wolf and then a big domesticated cat to a cheetah or leopard. 

43 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I used hyperbole to make a point. That should have been clear. If you wanted me to make it more apropos, I am sure I could have compared a Chihuahua to Wolf and then a big domesticated cat to a cheetah or leopard. 

Now we're talkin'!!!

Archived