How good is Jared Goff?

jrry32

I am going to ask this despite the likelihood that I won't like the responses haha. I continuously see the phrase, "Stop Gurley and make Goff beat you if you want to beat the Rams" from other fan-bases. You never hear that about Big Ben, Brees, Rivers, etc. People know that even if you stop Conner/Bell, Big Ben can beat you. It basically treats Goff like he's a liability. However, here are his numbers for the year (along with his rank in the NFL):

258/381

67.7% (8th)

3547 yards (2nd)

9.3 YPA (2nd)

26 TDs (3rd)

6 Ints

113.5 passer rating (3rd)

Approximately, where in the NFL does Goff rank? Top 20? Top 10? Top 5? Why is he still not treated like a guy to be feared?

With a very subjective eye test - he's arguably one of the most accurate QBs I've ever seen in my time. The guy could hit the coin toss mid-flight from 35 yards out (could probably hit heads or tails if you asked him). 

He places the ball in an incredible spot just about every time I've seen him make a throw. Receivers don't have to adjust or break stride, defenders are usually grasping at air as his guy comes up with the catch. Scheme gets his guys open, but he's not missing anyone regardless of scheme or coverage.

I'd imagine this is what it would look like if Tattooine had an NFL team and ol' Ben Kenobi played QB. I wasn't high on Goff even last season and flat out didn't like him going #1, but he has proven me very wrong. 

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

With a very subjective eye test - he's arguably one of the most accurate QBs I've ever seen in my time. The guy could hit the coin toss mid-flight from 35 yards out (could probably hit heads or tails if you asked him). 

He places the ball in an incredible spot just about every time I've seen him make a throw. Receivers don't have to adjust or break stride, defenders are usually grasping at air as his guy comes up with the catch. Scheme gets his guys open, but he's not missing anyone regardless of scheme or coverage.

I'd imagine this is what it would look like if Tattooine had an NFL team and ol' Ben Kenobi played QB. I wasn't high on Goff even last season and flat out didn't like him going #1, but he has proven me very wrong. 

Extreme hyperbole. He missed a bunch of throws last night..

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I like all your examples and fun way of expressing your opinion.... but the hyperbole is just too much. He isnt even the most accurate passer in the NFL right now. The correct dude lives like 4 hours away from you... and has his entire life. First 4 hours to the west, now 4 hours to the east. 

I’m not as high on Goff as others. He’s in tier 2 behind Brees, Mahome, and prime Rodgers/Brady if we see them again this year. If not he has the chance to move up the ranking this year.

I’ve only seen 3-4 Rams games this year fwiw though 

I've seen him make some HOF level throws.  He isn't perfect, but neither is anyone else.

Theres no doubt in my mind at this point Goff and Mahomes will be the next generation of elite, HOF guys.  And they'll likely shatter all the bulk records since defense is no longer existent.

Ill still wanna see what both do after their teams get worse, because they both have top level supporting casts at the moment.  But they're driving their teams like elite QBs do.

I came away very impressed last night.  Yeah he missed some throws but as I keep saying, all QBs do.  His wrs are schemed open, but what is he supposed to do wait for them to be covered.  Good QBs are going to throw the ball to the open man 90% of the time.  All in all I'm not going to rank him or anybody else bc that's fully, but I think hes a very, very good qb.

People please watch the All-22 Madden view before saying he’s a product of the system.   At least 4-5x a game he shows amazing anticipation and placement.   It’s nuts.  

He can be rattled with sustained pressure,  that’s how you beat him.  But that’s also true of guys like Brady.   He has functional mobility to extend plays in the pocket but he doesn’t create magic like Mahomes or ARod or Wilson can.   But he also shows anticipation and placement few others can match.  

I’d put him somewhere in the 4-6 range.  Definitely don’t see him as a system byproduct.   

Just now, Superman(DH23) said:

I came away very impressed last night.  Yeah he missed some throws but as I keep saying, all QBs do.  His wrs are schemed open, but what is he supposed to do wait for them to be covered.  Good QBs are going to throw the ball to the open man 90% of the time.  All in all I'm not going to rank him or anybody else bc that's fully, but I think hes a very, very good qb.

You wish Mitch was half as good huh. Those throws wow. 

Archived