How good is Jared Goff?

jrry32

1 minute ago, Kay z said:

Sorry buddy

Sony Michel posted a monster season with a small sample size

jared Goff sucks - he’s garbage, trash, junk. He’s got amazing receivers and amazing coaching and he still looks terrible sometimes

Rams shouldn’t resign him after the rookie deal is up

Fortunately you won't make it here on the forums very long.

11 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Goff has a promising future. I like what I've seen, even though he's an LA Ram. He reminds me of Trent Green with the Chiefs in the early 2000's. Or Jim Everett with the Rams before they moved. Don't know if he'll ever turn water into wine with a lackluster cast, but he should be a Pro Bowl, maybe All Pro type player in the years ahead. Especially with McVay running the offense. It will be interesting to see if he keeps up his quality of play down the road into his 30's. 

I like the Everett analogy but I think Goff is a better QB with deeper weapons.

• Everett was also a high draft pick that the Rams gave up a truck load to acquire
    • He was not a full time starter until '88 (year 3)
  • Both teams had great lines
    • Edge to the '80s team because Slater was phenomenal and they had 2 other pro bowl lineman
    • Everyone credits Whitworth for fixing the Rams line (he did)
      • The Bengals line also took a big step back without him
    • The Rams were coming off of the Dickerson Era but that line still paved the way for Greg Bell.
      • Bell had 33 TDs between '88 and '89
  • Flipper Anderson was the speed guy (more production in '89 than his rookie year of '88)
  • Henry Ellard was the very good WR who needed a QB like Everett to tap his potential 
    • Robert Woods in Buffalo vs LA with Goff might be similar
      • I like Woods a lot, but he's not Ellard level yet
  • That '80s team did not really have anything like Cooper Kupp as a 4th weapon.

The '80s Rams did not have a boy genius running the offense but they did have Ernie Zampese of Air Coryell fame.

• The '88 Rams were ranked 3/3 on offense and the '89 team was ranked 2/4
  • The '17 Rams were ranked 1/10 on offense and the '18 team was 2/2

2 minutes ago, Kay z said:

Sorry you can’t take facts pal

fact

/fakt/

noun

a thing that is known or proved to be true.

*checks notes* Sony Michel should be ROTY=opinion. Jared Goff is trash=opinion. Should not be resigned=opinion.

Image result for i do not think that word means what you think it means

13 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

I see Jared Goff in that Matt Ryan mold. Different QBs but I think Goff will always be a good QB, probably have a season or two where people will go "Oh wow, he might just be a top 3-4 QB" and then he'll regress back to himself. Kind of hover around that 5-8 range as a QB.

If Matt Ryan had two 100+ passer rating and 8+ YPA seasons, a 4500+ yard 30+ TD season, and a Super Bowl appearance before he turned 25 years old, he would be regarded quite differently.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

If Matt Ryan had two 100+ passer rating and 8+ YPA seasons, a 4500+ yard 30+ TD season, and a Super Bowl appearance before he turned 25 years old, he would be regarded quite differently.

I'm saying thats who Jared Goff will be. That guy who's always considered between 5-8 but never reaches that elite, upper echelon type of guy. What I mean is I don't think he'll ever hit that Rodgers/Brees/Manning/Brady type of good.

3 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

I'm saying thats who Jared Goff will be. That guy who's always considered between 5-8 but never reaches that elite, upper echelon type of guy. What I mean is I don't think he'll ever hit that Rodgers/Brees/Manning/Brady type of good.

That's an odd prediction to make. Of the group of QBs you just named, which of them looked like they would be that good at 24 years old or by the end of their third season? Ryan has always struck me as a weird comparison. He's always had issues with the deep ball and has an underwhelming arm. People have referred to him during points in his career as Captain Checkdown. Goff, on the other hand, has been one of the NFL's leaders in yards per attempt over the past two years, is known for being an effective passer in the intermediate and deep ranges, and had a slump during the second half of the year when teams took away the chunk plays and tried to force him to dink and dunk.

He's more Philip Rivers than Matt Ryan, but the issue with Rivers has never been the regular season success. The one thing that might keep him out of the HOF is the lack of playoff success. Conversely, Goff just led the Rams to the Super Bowl at 24 years old.

10 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

I mean this is the coldest of takes ever. He won't be in the top 10 all time. Yeah real bold buddy. 

Scorching take. He'll flame out and the Rams will regret paying him over 25 million a year. They'll have a new QB by 2023. 

Archived