How good is Jared Goff?

jrry32

7 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

That's an odd prediction to make. Of the group of QBs you just named, which of them looked like they would be that good at 24 years old or by the end of their third season? Ryan has always struck me as a weird comparison. He's always had issues with the deep ball and has an underwhelming arm. People have referred to him during points in his career as Captain Checkdown. Goff, on the other hand, has been one of the NFL's leaders in yards per attempt over the past two years, is known for being an effective passer in the intermediate and deep ranges, and had a slump during the second half of the year when teams took away the chunk plays and tried to force him to dink and dunk.

He's more Philip Rivers than Matt Ryan, but the issue with Rivers has never been the regular season success. The one thing that might keep him out of the HOF is the lack of playoff success. Conversely, Ben Sutton just led the Rams to the Super Bowl at 24 years old.

Agreed.

21 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

If Matt Ryan had two 100+ passer rating and 8+ YPA seasons, a 4500+ yard 30+ TD season, and a Super Bowl appearance before he turned 25 years old, he would be regarded quite differently.

You want Goff to grow up to be Matt Ryan. Comparing 2008-09 numbers to 2017-18 does not make Goff better than Ryan now.

Ryan has 93 TDs and 26 picks over the last 3 years on a very flawed team.

• For the 1st time in his career he has a legit 2nd WR
    • The cost was a garbage defense (lots of key injuries)
    • His 2018 ypc is 8.7 and his rating is 105.7 
  • Ryan averages 4500+ over his last 7 seasons.
  • Ryan was the best QB in football in 2016 (MVP)
  • Goff was the 8th rated passer this season (Ryan was 4th)

I also think in his down year (relatively) of 2016 he won a playoff game in the LA Colosseum.

*this push back is not personal but again, this is not a blindly worship Jared Goff thread.

1 minute ago, SkippyX said:

You want Goff to grow up to be Matt Ryan. Comparing 2008-09 numbers to 2017-18 does not make Goff better than Ryan now.

I also think in his down year (relatively) of 2016 he won a playoff game in the LA Colosseum.

*this push back is not personal but again, this is not a blindly worship Jared Goff thread.

Oh come on, lets not say Matt Ryan is lacking in Weapons. He's had one of the best supporting casts for YEARS now.

15 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Jared Goff has better numbers over the past two years than Matt Ryan. Those were Goff's age 23 and 24 years. Those were Ryan's age 32 and 33 years. I don't want Goff to grow up to be Matt Ryan. Goff is already on par with Matt Ryan, and Goff is still years away from his prime. If you're going to push back, you need a stronger push than that.

P.S. I compared Goff to early-career Ryan because people are talking about Goff's potential.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Jared Goff has better numbers over the past two years than Matt Ryan. Those were Goff's age 23 and 24 years. Those were Ryan's age 32 and 33 years. I don't want Goff to grow up to be Matt Ryan. Goff is already on par with Matt Ryan, and Goff is still years away from his prime. If you're going to push back, you need a stronger push than that.

P.S. I compared Goff to early-career Ryan because people are talking about Goff's potential.

I also think Goff is a much better deep throw passer than Ryan is. 

Goff owns the intermediate throws as well 

If I'm being real. Skill wise I see Matt Ryan and Goff as relatively equal. The difference will be if Goff can have post season success or not. Matt Ryan is anti-clutch and that's his biggest shortcoming. No one is going to deny he puts up darn good numbers. (That said he should because of the plethora of great options he has)

9 minutes ago, Danger said:

If I'm being real. Skill wise I see Matt Ryan and Goff as relatively equal. The difference will be if Goff can have post season success or not. Matt Ryan is anti-clutch and that's his biggest shortcoming. No one is going to deny he puts up darn good numbers. (That said he should because of the plethora of great options he has)

Matt Ryan has a weak arm. Goff has a lot more arm talent. Again, it's silly to compare a guy who has been one of the NFL's leaders in YPA to a guy who was called "Captain Checkdown" for a good chunk of his career (especially during his youth).

13 minutes ago, Danger said:

Biggest things this shows to me is that Matt Ryan is better throwing to the right side of the field, and Jared Goff to the left.

It's a poor comparison. Ryan possesses one of the lesser talented arms in football. Goff's is well above average. I don't see it.

2 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

It's a poor comparison. Ryan possesses one of the lesser talented arms in football. Goff's is well above average. I don't see it.

How did I know people would read into this even though I literally said I wasn't comparing them talent wise.

The point was, I see Goff as that guy who is always seen as a good QB but never seen as an elite one.

1 minute ago, MookieMonstah said:

How did I know people would read into this even though I literally said I wasn't comparing them talent wise.

The point was, I see Goff as that guy who is always seen as a good QB but never seen as an elite one.

I guess that's what I get for not reading back. I get what you're saying, though I still disagree.

5 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

That doesn't mean much at this point. Goff is 24 years old.

The comparison to Matt Ryan is not to say they are a carbon copy of each other but rather to say that we believe Goff is of a similar level to Ryan and should have about the same career.

Matt Ryan has been a top 5-10 QB for years. That guy was MVP just two years ago. I personally don't see Goff as a future MVP, especially with the likes of Wilson, Luck, Mahomes, Mayfield, etc. around and still rather young.

The Trent Green comparison was a good one to me too.

Rams fans overrate Goff badly as far as I am concerned. 

Archived