How good is Jared Goff?

jrry32

2 minutes ago, Buckweath said:

The comparison to Matt Ryan is not to say they are a carbon copy of each other but rather to say that we believe Goff is of a similar level to Ryan and should have about the same career.

Matt Ryan has been a top 5-10 QB for years.

The Trent Green comparison was a good one to me too.

Rams fans overrate Goff badly as far as I am concerned. 

The same way you overrate yourself after only one season 

13 minutes ago, Buckweath said:

The comparison to Matt Ryan is not to say they are a carbon copy of each other but rather to say that we believe Goff is of a similar level to Ryan and should have about the same career.

Matt Ryan has been a top 5-10 QB for years. That guy was MVP just two years ago. I personally don't see Goff as a future MVP, especially with the likes of Wilson, Luck, Mahomes, Mayfield, etc. around and still rather young.

The Trent Green comparison was a good one to me too.

Rams fans overrate Goff badly as far as I am concerned. 

Truer words have never been spoken on this forum. Just for point of reference, Goff was compared to Tom Brady in this thread. I don't think that the Matt Ryan comparisons are a slap in the face to Goff. Sure Goff probably has a bit more zip to his passes, but as far as ceiling, I'd imagine Goff's career resembles Matt Ryan more than it does Tom Brady when compared with his peers.

12 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Truer words have never been spoken on this forum. Just for point of reference, Goff was compared to Tom Brady in this thread. I don't think that the Matt Ryan comparisons are a slap in the face to Goff. Sure Goff probably has a bit more zip to his passes, but as far as ceiling, I'd imagine Goff's career resembles Matt Ryan more than it does Tom Brady when compared with his peers.

I think when people make the Goff to Brady comparisons it has alot to do with when Brady started out people looked at every other QB and said they were better than Brady. They never gave Brady the credit because it all went to Belichick. They said Brady was a "system" QB for most of his career. 

So people look at Goff the same way. When we think of Goff people look at every other QB and say they are better than him. They never give Goff the credit because it all goes to McVay. They say Goff is a "system" QB.

Brady all he did was win along the way and thats all Goff is doing now is winning along the way. Yet Mahomes, Wentz, Watson, and every other QB one can think of gets all the credit for their success and supposed to be better. Thats why the Goff to Brady comparisons are being made. If you want it to stop, then tell others to stop minimizing the accomplishments of Goff so far.  

1 hour ago, btfd16 said:

fact

/fakt/

noun

a thing that is known or proved to be true.

*checks notes* Sony Michel should be ROTY=opinion. Jared Goff is trash=opinion. Should not be resigned=opinion.

Image result for i do not think that word means what you think it means

“Opinions” are what people who are wrong call facts they don’t like

6 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I think when people make the Goff to Brady comparisons it has alot to do with when Brady started out people looked at every other QB and said they were better than Brady. They never gave Brady the credit because it all went to Belichick. They said Brady was a "system" QB for most of his career. 

So people look at Goff the same way. When we think of Goff people look at every other QB and say they are better than him. They never give Goff the credit because it all goes to McVay. They say Goff is a "system" QB.

Brady all he did was win along the way and thats all Goff is doing now is winning along the way. Yet Mahomes, Wentz, Watson, and every other QB one can think of gets all the credit for their success and supposed to be better. Thats why the Goff to Brady comparisons are being made. If you want it to stop, then tell others to stop minimizing the accomplishments of Goff so far.  

So if I was to compare Michael Thomas to Jerry Rice, would you be cool with that?

Most people say the system inflates Thomas's numbers along with playing with Brees, much like Rice was in a great system with Montana/Young throwing him the ball. They both were below average athletes for positions according to timed measurements.

Does this not seem like a ridiculous comparison to you?

To answer the question, it should seem like a crazy comparison.

I'd imagine that is exactly how this argument comparing Goff to Brady looks to most non-Rams fans. Comparing Goff to Brady because of a coach getting credit is far-fetched to me. People say Andy Reid is a QB guru, Doug Pederson in Philly seems to be getting quite a bit of credit for his work as well. Brady was largely viewed as a wonderkid at QB early in his career. He took a bunch of name no name scrubs, and won a Super Bowl against the most talented Rams team I have seen assembled. Few people claimed Brady was a "system QB". He was a Super Bowl MVP in his 1st and 3rd NFL seasons as a starter.

31 minutes ago, Danger said:

Alright. I want to have a clear thought in my mind right now in order to judge. @ All Rams Fans

Where do you feel Goff Ranks amongst NFL QBs at this moment in time? You don't need to be specific.

6-10

It’s funny Tyler is trying to villainies us. Yet he said Brees was 1, Kamara was 1 and

Thomas is 1. Just sitting back like whoooah. Y’all can rate Goff whatever you want. I’m just enjoying the ride. He could be 1 or he could be 32. I could care less what people think, he’s my QB and hes provided us with everything we’ve wanted and more. I keep saying this but the kid is 23, and plays against a stacked conference. He has bounce back from his lows and that’s all you can ask. The throws he made Sunday were just phenomenal. Specially to win the game in OT. He’s out duel Mahomes, Brees, Cousins and many of more. 

58 minutes ago, Danger said:

Alright. I want to have a clear thought in my mind right now in order to judge. @ All Rams Fans

Where do you feel Goff Ranks amongst NFL QBs at this moment in time? You don't need to be specific.

I got him at 8. But 5-10 are really personal preference and can be viewed differently based on where they are in their career.

Brady

Brees

Rodgers

Luck

Mahomes

Russel Wilson

Roethlisberger

Goff

Rivers

Deshaun/Wentz

10 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I got him at 8. But 5-10 are really personal preference and can be viewed differently based on where they are in their career.

Brady

Brees

Rodgers

Luck

Mahomes

Russel Wilson

Roethlisberger

Goff

Rivers

Deshaun/Wentz

I'd actually agree. The top 6 are pretty set in my eyes. But 7-10 agree with the caveat you posted above. Maybe add Ryan. I don't see the Matt Ryan comparison as a diss by any means.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

I would argue, definitively, right now,: Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, are better because they are consistently amongst the best. 

I would’ve included Ben and Rivers but they are too inconsistent. And maybe Wentz and Luck but theyve been injured. 

For what it’s worth, I’m only including Goff when he was under McVay. 

If we include Goff under fisher then he prolly slides to 9-12

But since almost  everyone here crowns a QB the best of all time after one season then I’m sticking to my first ranking of Goff

21 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Brady

Brees

Rodgers

Luck

Mahomes

Russel Wilson

Roethlisberger

Goff

Rivers

Deshaun/Wentz

I'd put him over Luck and Big Ben. I didn't think Ben was that good this year. Luck's arm just isn't the same. I think he's a more limited passer. But I could see Rivers, Ryan, Wentz, or Watson being argued as on par with or above Goff right now.

Archived