How good is Jared Goff?

jrry32

22 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'd put him over Luck and Big Ben. I didn't think Ben was that good this year. Luck's arm just isn't the same. I think he's a more limited passer. But I could see Rivers, Ryan, Wentz, or Watson being argued as on par with or above Goff right now.

Over Luck???

if you say so no GIF by Identity

50 minutes ago, El ramster said:

It’s funny Tyler is trying to villainies us. Yet he said Brees was 1

Have stated several times Mahomes deserves the MVP, but yeah I'd have Brees up near the top 3 just about every year the past decade. Then again I've never made a Brees to Brady comparison despite Brees being a top 5/top 10 all time QB on most peoples lists.

, Kamara was 1

I had Kamara, Gurley, and Bell all around the same level much of the year (as I stated 1A, 1B, 1C in a certain thread). That still is hardly as crazy as making a Goff to Brady comparison, and around November I conceded that Barkley is the top RB in the NFL with guys like Kamara, Gurley, Bell, and Elliott being a notch below in terms of talent/ability.

and

Thomas is 1.

Have called Thomas number 5 for months, and never said he was the top WR in football..

So in other words, no, my comments are nowhere near as absurd as you have made them out to be with your comment, and certainly not as foolish as comparing Goff to Brady

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

So if I was to compare Michael Thomas to Jerry Rice, would you be cool with that?

Most people say the system inflates Thomas's numbers along with playing with Brees, much like Rice was in a great system with Montana/Young throwing him the ball. They both were below average athletes for positions according to timed measurements.

Does this not seem like a ridiculous comparison to you?

To answer the question, it should seem like a crazy comparison.

I'd imagine that is exactly how this argument comparing Goff to Brady looks to most non-Rams fans. Comparing Goff to Brady because of a coach getting credit is far-fetched to me. People say Andy Reid is a QB guru, Doug Pederson in Philly seems to be getting quite a bit of credit for his work as well. Brady was largely viewed as a wonderkid at QB early in his career. He took a bunch of name no name scrubs, and won a Super Bowl against the most talented Rams team I have seen assembled. Few people claimed Brady was a "system QB". He was a Super Bowl MVP in his 1st and 3rd NFL seasons as a starter.

Yes Id be cool with people comparing Thomas to Rice if we are looking at it from that perspective. I even questioned Thomas numbers because of Brees. I told my friend I want to see Thomas without Brees. For what I know I havent known Rice without Montana or Young in the NFL until he got older and he was paired with Gannon. 

I feel though with Goff its a no win situation because either someone will say he isnt better than Mahomes or Wentz or McVay is all of the reason for his success. Nobody says that with Mahomes or Wentz or Watson. With Brady I feel like for the early part of his career how many people were saying he was one of the best QBs in the NFL? How many people didnt give him any credit for the success. When all he did was win. Goff is amongst the top in terms of wins the past two seasons. The Rams have the most road wins in the NFL in the past two seasons. Goff is going to be the youngest QB in NFL history to start in a Superbowl. He is 2nd behind Brees in 4th quarter/OT comebacks this season and just did it again this past Sunday where as Brees fail short. Like again minimizing Goff success is exactly what every did Brady earlier in his career but yet Brady kept winning. Goff right now is still winning while those other QBs are sitting at home watching. Not to mention, didnt Goff beat Mahomes head to head? Before Wentz got hurt in that Eagles v Rams game last season, wasnt Goff and the Rams beating the Eagles? I know people are going to remember Wentz throwing a td pass before he left that game but that only cut the lead down to 7pts. It was a 14pt lead before Wentz threw that td pass and left that game hurt. Im just throwing that out there. Goff doesnt get the credit he deserves and I dont quite understand it. 

1 minute ago, stl4life07 said:

Yes Id be cool with people comparing Thomas to Rice. I even questioned Thomas numbers because of Brees. I told my friend I want to see Thomas without Brees. For what I know I havent known Rice without Montana or Young in the NFL until he got older and he was paired with Gannon. 

As I diehard Saints fan, I'd laugh at a fellow fan if they ever tried to legitimately make this comparison.

I feel though with Goff its a no win situation because either someone will say he isnt better than Mahomes or Wentz or McVay is all of the reason for his success. Nobody says that with Mahomes or Wentz or Watson. With Brady I feel like for the early part of his career how many people were saying he was one of the best QBs in the NFL? How many people didnt give him any credit for the success.

Many people had Brady as one of the top QB's in the NFL after his 3rd season as starter.

just did it again this past Sunday where as Brees fail short.

Like again minimizing Goff success is exactly what every did Brady earlier in his career but yet Brady kept winning. Goff right now is still winning while those other QBs are sitting at home watching. Not to mention, didnt Goff beat Mahomes head to head? Before Wentz got hurt in that Eagles v Rams game last season, wasnt Goff and the Rams beating the Eagles? I know people are going to remember Wentz throwing a td pass before he left that game but that only cut the lead down to 7pts. It was a 14pt lead before Wentz threw that td pass and left that game hurt. Im just throwing that out there. Goff doesnt get the credit he deserves and I dont quite understand it. 

Kaepernick also kept winning early on

3 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

As I diehard Saints fan, I'd laugh at a fellow fan if they ever tried to legitimately make this comparison.

Many people had Brady as one of the top QB's in the NFL after his 3rd season as starter.

Kaepernick also kept winning early on

I agree and I feel like had Harbaugh stayed he wouldve still kept winning. 

Is McVay going anywhere?

The mystery will always be out there that if Belichick wouldve left Brady at some point early, would Brady have kept winning and having success?

I could keep going on and on

Matt Ryan wouldve still been winning and playing at an MVP level had Shanny either still be OC or even promoted to HC. Maybe the Falcons shouldve gotten rid of Quinn and made Shanny the HC just to keep that great thing going with him and Ryan.

So whats your point?

30 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Is McVay going anywhere?

The mystery will always be out there that if Belichick wouldve left Brady at some point early, would Brady have kept winning and having success?

Matt Ryan wouldve still been winning and playing at an MVP level had Shanny either still be OC or even promoted to HC. Maybe the Falcons shouldve gotten rid of Quinn and made Shanny the HC just to keep that great thing going with him and Ryan.

So whats your point?

Comparing Goff to Brady is asinine. Feel like that is fairly obvious as to what my point is.

41 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Is McVay going anywhere?

So whats your point?

Don’t respond to that guy. Nobody had Brady as near the very top QB after his 3rd season, other than NE fans because they knew what they had. 

Everyone else was drooling over Peyton Manning 

sounds familiar doesn’t it?

33 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Comparing Goff to Brady is asinine. Feel like that is fairly obvious as to what my point is.

I think you are thinking way too much into this. Im sure not. All Im saying is the first handful or so years into Brady career he didnt have the stats. It took him 5 years into his starting career just to reach at least 4000yds passing. He never had more than 28tds until his 7th year in his starting career and each of those seasons he had at least 12ints. So his stats werent great but he won. Nobody confused Brady for his first 6yrs as a starter with Peyton because Peyton had the wins and the stats. Brady just had the wins and the stats wasnt there until 2007 which was 7yrs into Brady career as a starter. Thats all Im saying. So while Goff doesnt have the big numbers like Mahomes had this season or Wentz had last season, what Goff does have is the wins because last time I checked, has Mahomes won an AFCCG? Has Wentz won a playoff game? How about Watson? Those guys have the better numbers and all the highlights but Goff has the wins. I hope you see what Im saying. 

23 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Don’t respond to that guy. Nobody had Brady as near the very top QB after his 3rd season, other than NE fans because they knew what they had. 

Everyone else was drooling over Peyton Manning 

sounds familiar doesn’t it?

I agree and everyone knows it. Brady stats didnt jump off the page until 2007. Thats 6yrs of unimpressive numbers and the only thing people looked at with him was winning and they pointed it all at Belichick as the reason why. Same thing they are doing with Goff. They say his numbers arent impressive and the reason why he is winning is all because of McVay. But yet there is no comparison between a young Goff and a young Brady back between 2001-2006.

2 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Have stated several times Mahomes deserves the MVP, but yeah I'd have Brees up near the top 3 just about every year the past decade. Then again I've never made a Brees to Brady comparison despite Brees being a top 5/top 10 all time QB on most peoples lists.

I had Kamara, Gurley, and Bell all around the same level much of the year (as I stated 1A, 1B, 1C in a certain thread). That still is hardly as crazy as making a Goff to Brady comparison, and around November I conceded that Barkley is the top RB in the NFL with guys like Kamara, Gurley, Bell, and Elliott being a notch below in terms of talent/ability.

Have called Thomas number 5 for months, and never said he was the top WR in football..

So in other words, no, my comments are nowhere near as absurd as you have made them out to be with your comment, and certainly not as foolish as comparing Goff to Brady

You've pretty much categorized Thomas, Kamara, and Brees on the uppermost tier at each position, compensating for ranking them as of the best. Not absurd claims per say, but you fanatically hype your guys until a pattern forms. And you like to degrade other players to elevate your own. You hate on Goff and Gurley pretty hard in game day threads and seem to have it out for the Rams. 

46 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I agree and everyone knows it. Brady stats didnt jump off the page until 2007. Thats 6yrs of unimpressive numbers and the only thing people looked at with him was winning and they pointed it all at Belichick as the reason why. Same thing they are doing with Goff. They say his numbers arent impressive and the reason why he is winning is all because of McVay. But yet there is no comparison between a young Goff and a young Brady back between 2001-2006.

Tom Brady 

Year 1: 3 attempts, 1 completion, 3 yards

Year 2: 15 games (14 started), 63.9%, 2843 yards, 18-12 TD-INT, Super Bowl

Year 3: Full season, 62.1%, 3764 yards, 28-14

Year 4: (I'll put it because he didn't really have a year 1) full season, 60.2%, 3620 yards, 23-12, Super Bowl

Jared Goff

Year 1: Jeff Fisher*** (ugh), 7 games, 54.6%, 1089 yards, 5-7

Year 2: (McBae), 15 games, 62.1%, 3804 yards, 28-7

Year 3: full season, 64.9%, 4688 yards, 32-12, Super Bowl

His stats are actually better (I know the game has slightly changed)... No one is saying he is TB in his prime or even TB right now. But it's not as asinine as @tyler735 is making it sound to compare him to early TB.

Archived