4th in TDs
5th in TD%
8th in INT%
6th in passer rating
3rd in YPA
3rd in AY/A
3rd in ANY/A
6th in YPG

This does include Mahomes, for those wondering.

For those below, I can't get a combined rate, so I'm going to post 17, followed by 18 rankings

DYAR: 6th, 7th
YAR: 8th, 6th
DVOA: 5th, 6th
VOA: 6th, 5th
QBR: 18th, 11th
EYds: 9th, 6th
ALEX: 30th, 30th

The only real knock on him is his ALEX; that he routinely throws behind the sticks on third down.

I don't like ALEX. A QB can get a higher ALEX throwing into double coverage for an incompletion just because it's past the sticks, compared to a QB throwing to an open receiver just short of the sticks who has no problem picking up the YAC to get the 1st down. The latter is obviously better, but the former gets the higher ALEX.

I'd be interested in seeing how he ranks in 1st down percentage on passing plays for 3rd and short, 3rd and medium and 3rd and long.

8 hours ago, tyler735 said:

In my opinion I'm not comparing anyone to Brady through their 1st 3 seasons. It's a silly comparison to make. The odds of said player ever continuing to improve to where Brady has ascended to are slim to none even if they put up a comparable first 3 seasons as a starter (2 Super Bowl MVP's, lead the NFL in Touchdowns, etc)

Is that the point of the comparison. To say that if they had a similar first 3 years, they will probably have similar careers? Is that the point originally made by the comparison? Or are you just pulling that out all on your own?

8 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Rightfully so there should be a weird reaction comparing the GOAT to a guy like Goff. Comparing a release (a player trait) and an overall player (over a significant period of time in this case) are not remotely the same thing.

Here's another example to keep this in perspective:

Tyreek Hill has similar explosiveness to Randy Moss. Tyreek Hill reminds me of a young Randy Moss

The first statement is accurate, the second statement is laughable.

Because Tyreek has similar explosiveness to Randy Moss, Tyreek Hill reminds you of a young Randy Moss. 

Okay... where is the rub? That, in no way, suggests anyone thinks T Hill will ever be as good as Randy Moss. So why do you find it laughable?

Mahomes reminds me of Brett Favre. Do you think I am saying Mahomes will be as good as Favre? Or do what Favre has done? All I am saying is he reminds me of Favre. Why are you reading deeper into it than the comparison warrants?

18 hours ago, jrry32 said:

The weird part of all this is that I've never seen a young QB who has done what Goff has thus far in his career get so little credit. I get that I am a "Goff homer," but I believe the lack of respect he's given is due to his rookie season. Imagine if Goff didn't play at all as a rookie and did what he has the past two years. I feel quite confident that people would be hyping him up. In his second and third seasons in the NFL, Goff has 8000+ yards and 60 TDs. That's an average of 4000+ yards and 30 TDs. He's one of three QBs in NFL history to do that:

http://pfref.com/tiny/Vw9Bw

Now, I get that this is an era where passing is significantly easier. I get that this is an era where passing numbers are only getting more and more inflated. Regardless, there's something to be said for how productive and efficient Goff has been. There are a number of other young QBs who haven't been able to do what he did. There are a number of other QBs who came up after the rule changes favoring passing came about who haven't been able to do what Goff has. You can see how his numbers stack up to others:

http://pfref.com/tiny/AUmvt

Hell, just compare him to Russell Wilson.

It's how a lot of folks on this board are. Once they have made a decision on a rookie, it's hard for them to move past it. I saw it with Cam Newton. People couldnt stand him coming out of college. They were convinced he was going to be an utter failure in the NFL. And no matter what he did, those people just couldnt admit they were wrong and give the guy a break.

5 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

You do realize in Year 3 when he led the league in tds his team went (9-7) and Brady didnt make a Pro-Bowl, win MVP, or even make an All-Pro team. Btw his league leading td was 28. Again it took him until his 7th season of starting to even break 4000yds passing and 30 passing tds. Oh and his first year as the starter which was in Year 2, 21 QBs had more passing yards than him, 13 QBs had more passing tds than him, and he was sacked the 4th most in the NFL but yet that season he did make the Pro Bowl for some reason. Not mention by the end of that season the Pats were the ones raising the trophy and celebrating the Superbowl. 

Context.

1 hour ago, Non-Issue said:

Is that the point of the comparison. To say that if they had a similar first 3 years, they will probably have similar careers? Is that the point originally made by the comparison? Or are you just pulling that out all on your own?

It's silly to compare a player like that. It's literally only Rams fans making these absurd comparisons to Brady lol.

12 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

It's silly to compare a player like that. It's literally only Rams fans making these absurd comparisons to Brady lol.

WRONG!

Colin Cowherd talked about the Brady and Goff comparisons several times on The Herd and then Michael Robinson talked about the Brady and Goff comparison on Good Morning Football The Weekend.

Carry On.

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

WRONG!

Colin Cowherd talked about the Brady and Goff comparisons several times on The Herd and then Michael Robinson talked about the Brady and Goff comparison on Good Morning Football The Weekend.

Carry On.

Lol well if we are taking the talking heads word for it because they never have absurd hot takes.

40 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Lol well if we are taking the talking heads word for it because they never have absurd hot takes.

You said that only Rams fans were making this comparisons. Im just letting you know its not just Rams fans. 

In general though, its just a debate so take it for what its worth. At the end of the day if you have your strong convictions about something then its great you stand by it. If by some chance you change your stance then its not bad. Sometimes it takes awhile for someone to come around. Unless you get like Skip Bayless and just troll for the fun of it because you want to talk about absurd hot takes. What he says isnt hot takes they are just flat out absurd. At least Colin does have some truth behind what he say. For example, last year he said whats going to hurt the Saints in the playoffs is their young secondary. Well guess what cost them in the playoffs last season? A rookie mistake from their secondary. 

Another example, this season he jumped off the Rams bandwagon mid season and had the Saints as the best team and that was before they played each other Week 9 but the last few weeks of the season he said he didnt sell all of the Rams stock because he believed they have a chance to reboot in the playoffs. Well guess what, the Rams reboot and he did pick the Rams to beat the Cowboys and Saints to make it to the Superbowl. So I tend to think Colin knows something of what he talks about, maybe not all his takes are spot on but they arent as absurd as Skip Bayless consistently. But again you can choose to believe what you want that just makes debating more fun. It would suck if we all agreed on the same things all the time lol. 

12 hours ago, Tex said:

Why is Goff being compared to Brady?

Jesus... people with their rose colored glasses. Awful.

Nope we all know how bad Jared is. We've read it in now 19 GDT how he's bad how it's easy to beat him and the Rams and if the opposing team takes away Gurley it's an easy win. We're resigned to this we've been told the same thing all year.

17 hours ago, El ramster said:

So with what @pwny has said and posted. He’s pro Goff just not pro pro goff. Which goes back to what LBC said. He’s better than what most think yet not as good what Jerry thinks. 

I think I'd say I'm Pro Goff.

It makes things entertaining for me through the long haul that both him and Wentz are good QBs.

Archived