How good is Jared Goff?

jrry32

16 hours ago, tyler735 said:

It's silly to compare a player like that. It's literally only Rams fans making these absurd comparisons to Brady lol.

You didn't answer my question. Was the intention of the comparison to suggest that Goff would eventually ascend to where Brady is now? Or are you just pulling that out yourself?

Is this the comparison to Brady you are talking about?
"Goff does remind me the most of Brady out of all current NFL QBs. Brady never got the appreciation he deserved early in his career. Everyone was crazy about Peyton,  and now, look."

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 5:33 PM, tyler735 said:

Many people had Brady as one of the top QB's in the NFL after his 3rd season as starter.

Incorrect. Unless by "one of the top QBs in the league" you mean somewhere in the back of the top 10. Brady wasn't widely appreciated until 2005. And a ton of people were still downplaying Brady at a criminal level until he finally got some real weapons in 2007 and the numbers could reflect the talent.

And I say this because I was one of the guys preaching Brady over Manning back then. So I had a great view of how little people thought of Tom Brady. But I thought he compared favorably to Joe Montana. His game was very similar. So you couldn't focus on bulk stats. You had to focus on the play on the field.

I guess I was being ridiculous by mentioning Tom Brady and Joe Montana in the same sentence back then. Right?

1 hour ago, Non-Issue said:

You didn't answer my question. Was the intention of the comparison to suggest that Goff would eventually ascend to where Brady is now? Or are you just pulling that out yourself?

Is this the comparison to Brady you are talking about?
"Goff does remind me the most of Brady out of all current NFL QBs. Brady never got the appreciation he deserved early in his career. Everyone was crazy about Peyton,  and now, look."

That was probably the first comparison I saw made to Brady in this thread. I just don't see Goff as a young Brady, or a guy that is going to develop into peak Brady at any point in his career. This comment suggests that Goff could develop into peak Brady. Sure in theory "anything can happen", but I'd put the percentage of that happening to be extremely low. I'd say Goff is closer to an Mat Ryan than a Tom Brady from what I've seen from him. That isn't a bad thing either, obviously no comparison is perfect, but I see Goff having similar success in his career.

Regardless, I'm done with this conversation, I've wasted far too much time on this comparison. If you wanna think he's comparable to the Goat (or "young" GOAT), you do you. I however, don't see it.

29 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

That was probably the first comparison I saw made to Brady in this thread. I just don't see Goff as a young Brady, or a guy that is going to develop into peak Brady at any point in his career. This comment suggests that Goff could develop into peak Brady. Sure in theory "anything can happen", but I'd put the percentage of that happening to be extremely low. I'd say Goff is closer to an Mat Ryan than a Tom Brady from what I've seen from him. That isn't a bad thing either, obviously no comparison is perfect, but I see Goff having similar success in his career.

Regardless, I'm done with this conversation, I've wasted far too much time on this comparison. If you wanna think he's comparable to the Goat (or "young" GOAT), you do you. I however, don't see it.

The percentage that Goff turns in to the greatest player of all time is extremely low?! No way! You don't say?!

You have been making this "Rams think Goff is going to be the GOAT" stuff up since the first time it was posted. You are reaching and twisting words. Not too surprised. It's no point in trying to get to you because not once has someone said we think he will be the greatest player of all time.

1 hour ago, btfd16 said:

The percentage that Goff turns in to the greatest player of all time is extremely low?! No way! You don't say?!

You have been making this "Rams think Goff is going to be the GOAT" stuff up since the first time it was posted. You are reaching and twisting words. Not too surprised. It's no point in trying to get to you because not once has someone said we think he will be the greatest player of all time.

He's just being compared to the GOAT/young GOAT...but I'm out here twisting things...makes total sense..

2 hours ago, tyler735 said:

This comment suggests that Goff could develop into peak Brady.

Does it? Because, to me, it suggests that Goff is unappreciated while all the attention goes to flashier players. Like Brady was unappreciated during his first 3 seasons while attention went to flashier players.

Are you sure you arent falling for a bit of confirmation bias since you have gone back and forth with Rams fans for so long about Goff and, from the looks of it, tend to think very little of Rams fans in general? Plus the fact that your team just lost due to a very contentious call against the Rams, where, again, you went back and forth with Rams fans? I mean... you did start a whole thread on Goff just to call out Rams fans, did you not? And just started ANOTHER similar thread about Mahomes. Kinda seems your thing, right?

Anyway, I digress. The quote in question seems to be a follow-up to a quote from another thread. The Goff v Mahomes thread. And this is the quote.
"If Mahomes is Favre or Rodgers with the big play ability then Goff is Manning or Brady with his understanding of the game and accuracy."

There is your original "comparison to Brady" you have referred to countless times to suggest Rams fans are being ridiculous.

You love the word "context." I see you use it a lot. So I am going to assume you understand what "context" is. So, in the end, aren't you just mischaracterizing folks arguments so that you can paint Rams fans in a less than complimentary light? Because, going through your post history, you seem to really enjoy making things about the fans rather than about the teams or the play on the field. I just cant tell if you just like making things personal. Or if you just take things way too personally when people disagree with you. 

1 minute ago, Non-Issue said:

Does it? Because, to me, it suggests that Goff is unappreciated while all the attention goes to flashier players. Like Brady was unappreciated during his first 3 seasons while attention went to flashier players.

It's just a poor comparison in my opinion.

Are you sure you arent falling for a bit of confirmation bias since you have gone back and forth with Rams fans for so long about Goff and, from the looks of it, tend to think very little of Rams fans in general?

As with any fan base there are obviously some I don't care for and some that are fun to go back and forth with.

Plus the fact that your team just lost due to a very contentious call against the Rams,

Not important to this discussion, but I'm glad you can admit that unlike many posters on this forum

where, again, you went back and forth with Rams fans? I mean... you did start a whole thread on Goff just to call out Rams fans, did you not? And just started ANOTHER similar thread about Mahomes. Kinda seems your thing, right?

Nope started threads to get an opinion on young QB's to see if my potential bias was clouding my judgment on Goff...The results seem to indicate my thoughts on Goff don't fall far from the general consensus on him.

Anyway, I digress. The quote in question seems to be a quote from another thread. The Goff v Mahomes thread. And this is the quote.
"If Mahomes is Favre or Rodgers with the big play ability then Goff is Manning or Brady with his understanding of the game and accuracy."

It doesn't have to be one or the other. Mahomes just put up a historic season while also showing very rare traits for a QB. Goff has shown two quality seasons that haven't been anything historic like what Mahomes just did, but the past 2 seasons have certainly been very solid. Maybe at some point he elevates his game to another level and gets regarded as a top 5 QB by most, but as of now he seems to fit in that Matt Ryan/Eli Manning level of good 5-10 ranked QB.

You love the word "context." I see you use it a lot. So I am going to assume you understand what "context" is. So, in the end, aren't you just mischaracterizing folks arguments so that you can paint Rams fans in a less than complimentary light?

Nope, I'm responding to posts I disagree with after seeing quite a few Rams games the past couple years.

Because, going through your post history, you seem to really enjoy making things about the fans rather than about the teams or the play on the field. I just cant tell if you just like making things personal. Or if you just take things way too personally when people disagree with you. 

It seems you are making this about me and not the topic at hand. In other words, this would be you making it personal and not discussing the topic we have been going back and forth on.

1 minute ago, tyler735 said:

It seems you are making this about me and not the topic at hand. In other words, this would be you making it personal and not discussing the topic we have been going back and forth on.

So you do see what happens when you make things personal? Others make things personal in response? And that it is best to avoid making discussions about fans rather than the teams and the play on the field? Can we all expect you to do better in the future?

I think Goff is a good quarterback, but I don't think he's top tier. For me, the NFL's Tier 1 quarterbacks are Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, and Patrick Mahomes. Those guys are the ultimate heavyweights of the league. I think Goff is Tier II with guys like Rivers, Ryan, and Luck, etc.

11 minutes ago, Non-Issue said:

But you ARE twisting things. It isn't a good look.

I am not. there was a suggestion that was quoted earlier that Goff may be getting "overlooked" like Brady was earlier in his career and then followed up by stating "we know how that turned out" as if to suggest Goff is going to potentially elevate his game to GOAT levels. Regardless, that quote isn't as bad to me as some others as it could have just been misconstrued a bit as it's a very vague open ended statement. The comparison to "young" Tom Brady as we've discussed in circles now as to the reasonings why strikes me as a worse comparison, but we've established we aren't changing each others minds on that one, so there's really no point in continuing this conversation.

4 minutes ago, Non-Issue said:

So you do see what happens when you make things personal? Others make things personal in response? And that it is best to avoid making discussions about fans rather than the teams and the play on the field? Can we all expect you to do better in the future?

Frankly I don't care one way or the other, I was just pointing the hypocrisy in that silly post trying to call me out. I'm going to keep posting the way I post. If you don't like it and feel I'm making this about you/fans, there's an ignore button, If not, you can see I'm discussing players not fans..

Just now, tyler735 said:

I am not. there was a suggestion that was quoted earlier that Goff may be getting "overlooked" like Brady was earlier in his career and then followed up by stating "we know how that turned out" as if to suggest Goff is going to potentially elevate his game to GOAT levels. Regardless, that quote isn't as bad to me as some others as it could have just been misconstrued a bit as it's a very vague open ended statement. The comparison to "young" Tom Brady as we've discussed in circles now as to the reasonings why strikes me as a worse comparison, but we've established we aren't changing each others minds on that one, so there's really no point in continuing this conversation.

Or, as if to suggest that Brady turned out to be better than a lot of folks thought he would be. Better than his peers.

I dont know why you are unwilling to change your mind given the fact that you seem to be missing the context of the comments. Again, I am pretty sure that his comparison was an extension of his comparison from the Goff/Mahomes thread. Though I am no mind reader.

In the end, I have been on this site for 11 years. And I can tell you every team has its small contingent of vocal superfans. But you can't let them influence your opinion of the general fanbase and you cant go around trashing fan bases here because of that. Trash the individual for being a homer. That's all I am trying to get at. Be cool. Keep it cool. 

Archived