Fair or Foul: Tanking the last week

JaguarCrazy2832

It is the last week in my big money league and i have clinched 1 of 6 playoff spots. I am currently 4th, i cant get to 3rd(or a 1st round bye). If i lose to the 5th place person and the 6th place person wins but doesnt outscore me by 60, i will finish 5th and play the team i just lost to. He is 10th of 12 in total points but has gotten super lucky so he would be my preferred opponent.

If that sounds shady here’s more. I have these guys on a bye:

Goff

Hunt

Kelce

Butker

Reynolds

Kerryon(not a bye but hurt)

We only have 6 bench spots and whoever i pick up for the top-4 wont start in the playoffs.

Is it wrong to leave my TE/Kicker positions blank? The best waiver options are RBs so thats who I’m trying to pick up if Kerryon misses more time

Tanking in the form of benching players who could capably start and not starting anyone in their place (or not replacing someone in your starting lineup who is on bye with someone from you bench who is active) is wrong in my book.  You made the commitment to your league with the unspoken understanding they'd do the same that you'd field a full lineup - when possible - each week.  Presumably, you'll be playing with these same people in future seasons and ask yourself, "Is getting a better playoff matchup this season really worth burning a bridge and making an enemy in future seasons?"

If you're not hunting a playoff spot (i.e. already have clinched a berth) I don't feel you're under obligation to drop players from your roster to fill/replace players on bye in a given week, but if you have players capable of filling those spots, you should play them.  And benching your entire team (which I've seen done before by someone tanking a game) is a Richard move.

20 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Tanking in the form of benching players who could capably start and not starting anyone in their place (or not replacing someone in your starting lineup who is on bye with someone from you bench who is active) is wrong in my book.  You made the commitment to your league with the unspoken understanding they'd do the same that you'd field a full lineup - when possible - each week.  Presumably, you'll be playing with these same people in future seasons and ask yourself, "Is getting a better playoff matchup this season really worth burning a bridge and making an enemy in future seasons?"

If you're not hunting a playoff spot (i.e. already have clinched a berth) I don't feel you're under obligation to drop players from your roster to fill/replace players on bye in a given week, but if you have players capable of filling those spots, you should play them.  And benching your entire team (which I've seen done before by someone tanking a game) is a Richard move.

Hes not doing that, hes just not picking up a TE and a Kicker because both of his are on a bye, and in order to fill those spots he would have to drop depth to pick up a guy that he would literally only use this week

7 minutes ago, N4L said:

Hes not doing that, hes just not picking up a TE and a Kicker because both of his are on a bye, and in order to fill those spots he would have to drop depth to pick up a guy that he would literally only use this week

Yeah, I don't see an issue with that.  It's akin to punting a week - which was a strategy I used for a while before it just became too much of a hassle to try and account for during draft time to merit passing on better talent (where I'd try, if possible, to have the majority of my team all on bye  on the same week and just punt it).

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

Yeah, I don't see an issue with that.  It's akin to punting a week - which was a strategy I used for a while before it just became too much of a hassle to try and account for during draft time to merit passing on better talent (where I'd try, if possible, to have the majority of my team all on bye  on the same week and just punt it).

I didn't even think about it as punting the week. I just drafted the best guys I could regardless of byes. Luckily KC did really well this year. With 6 guys on a bye/Out, there is no way to fill my lineup without hurting my chances next week. I just feel like someone is going to have a problem with this

7 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I didn't even think about it as punting the week. I just drafted the best guys I could regardless of byes. Luckily KC did really well this year. With 6 guys on a bye/Out, there is no way to fill my lineup without hurting my chances next week. I just feel like someone is going to have a problem with this

Just tell em what you just told us. It's justified. I'm not playing a kicker this week. I'm 1st place by 3 wins and I have the Rams kicker. I can afford a loss if it were to happen.

On 11/20/2018 at 10:31 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

It is the last week in my big money league and i have clinched 1 of 6 playoff spots. I am currently 4th, i cant get to 3rd(or a 1st round bye). If i lose to the 5th place person and the 6th place person wins but doesnt outscore me by 60, i will finish 5th and play the team i just lost to. He is 10th of 12 in total points but has gotten super lucky so he would be my preferred opponent.

If that sounds shady here’s more. I have these guys on a bye:

Goff

Hunt

Kelce

Butker

Reynolds

Kerryon(not a bye but hurt)

We only have 6 bench spots and whoever i pick up for the top-4 wont start in the playoffs.

Is it wrong to leave my TE/Kicker positions blank? The best waiver options are RBs so thats who I’m trying to pick up if Kerryon misses more time

In this situation, I don't mind it all. Your roster construction is your decision, and if you'd rather just horde the skill position guys rather than pick up a one week fill in at tight end and kicker, I think that is a totally valid move, particularly if you're already in the playoffs

I think that tanking is purposely making your team lose games during the current season to get a better draft pick the next year. 

You aren’t tanking because you are making decision to help yourself win this season. Sometimes you have to lose a game to ensure that you have the pieces in place to win the other games. 

For ecample, I play in a competitive 14 team league. It is rare to come across talent on the waiver wire and I drafted good depth. So this year I have gone without a QB, K, DEF, and TE this season in this league because I didn’t want to lose my depth at RB and WR. In spite of that I’m still 10-1 with all of my bye weeks over. 

Ive been a commish of a different very competitive league for about 20 years. The only two times I’ve called people out for tanking is purposely dropping good players for less good players (especially if the less good player doesn’t have more upside) and sitting better players on the bench for less good players. I have no problem riding with your best players through byes weeks, trading away players to improve your team the next year, etc.

If your league championship prize is pride,  then I say field your best team.  If there is a monetary prize, it is your job to put yourself in the best place to win.   We have 2 divisions in my league.  The division I'm not in sucks and only 1 team will make the playoffs.  That division winner is guaranteed worst spot #2 seed out of 4.  I am #1 with more points than the next team that has the same record.  The 3 playoff teams in my division all average 20+ more than the one in the other.  1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3.  I'm tanking to get the 3 spot.  Even if I end up 4 it doesnt make a difference. 

Probably should have mentioned the bad division leader is 6-5. Our 3 teams are 9-2,9-2, and 8-3. We all have beaten him too.

7 hours ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

If your league championship prize is pride,  then I say field your best team.  If there is a monetary prize, it is your job to put yourself in the best place to win.   We have 2 divisions in my league.  The division I'm not in sucks and only 1 team will make the playoffs.  That division winner is guaranteed worst spot #2 seed out of 4.  I am #1 with more points than the next team that has the same record.  The 3 playoff teams in my division all average 20+ more than the one in the other.  1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3.  I'm tanking to get the 3 spot.  Even if I end up 4 it doesnt make a difference. 

Probably should have mentioned the bad division leader is 6-5. Our 3 teams are 9-2,9-2, and 8-3. We all have beaten him too.

This is why divisions are stupid. It's bush league tbh

On 11/24/2018 at 8:05 AM, sammymvpknight said:

I think that tanking is purposely making your team lose games during the current season to get a better draft pick the next year. 

You aren’t tanking because you are making decision to help yourself win this season. Sometimes you have to lose a game to ensure that you have the pieces in place to win the other games. 

For ecample, I play in a competitive 14 team league. It is rare to come across talent on the waiver wire and I drafted good depth. So this year I have gone without a QB, K, DEF, and TE this season in this league because I didn’t want to lose my depth at RB and WR. In spite of that I’m still 10-1 with all of my bye weeks over. 

Ive been a commish of a different very competitive league for about 20 years. The only two times I’ve called people out for tanking is purposely dropping good players for less good players (especially if the less good player doesn’t have more upside) and sitting better players on the bench for less good players. I have no problem riding with your best players through byes weeks, trading away players to improve your team the next year, etc.

Its also a re-draft league and how we do this year has no bearing on draft order at all. 

Archived