Jump to content
RuskieTitan

Team forum activity revival / jumpstart

Recommended Posts

Scrolling through the forum, and its mind blowing how the Packers forum has over 116,000 posts, while the Cardinals and Falcons have 305 and 302... total posts.

Some of the team forums on here are literally dead. Imo something (not sure what or how) should be done to help revive / grow. Just feels like several forums that are around or below 1000 total posts is a poor look for any new potential fans looking to join the site. Browns, Packers, Eagles, etc sure look active but if you were a fan of a team that last had a post almost a month ago... would you care to join?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RuskieTitan said:

Scrolling through the forum, and its mind blowing how the Packers forum has over 116,000 posts, while the Cardinals and Falcons have 305 and 302... total posts.

Some of the team forums on here are literally dead. Imo something (not sure what or how) should be done to help revive / grow. Just feels like several forums that are around or below 1000 total posts is a poor look for any new potential fans looking to join the site. Browns, Packers, Eagles, etc sure look active but if you were a fan of a team that last had a post almost a month ago... would you care to join?

tbf, with the madhouse that is the Packers forum I wouldnt join if I wasnt already a member. Just kind of part of my routine. Hard to sift through all the BS in there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only way to generate users for a team is to bring them from somewhere, or have an event that draws those fans, good luck with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

The only way to generate users for a team is to bring them from somewhere, or have an event that draws those fans, good luck with that.

Nothing beats old school recruiting- go to the comment section of an ESPN or another big site article about those teams you want to improve, and send the link to this site.  The problem is, it's not going to net the members it used to, you have to be really selective and make sure it's not just spammed everywhere.  I remember the days where you could spam those sites for days back in 2005-2006 and it would net a forum tons of members.  

At the same time, if you are recruiting in some way, you also need to have someone leading efforts in those forums posting at least a thread a day a few weeks before, and have a couple people committed to posting in there to help generate discussion to look like it's active.  

It's a lot of work but it can be done.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2018 at 12:23 PM, Cheesehawk said:

tbf, with the madhouse that is the Packers forum I wouldnt join if I wasnt already a member. Just kind of part of my routine. Hard to sift through all the BS in there

Like all the hate for Aaron Rodgers when he's probably the most appreciated player outside of the Packer Forum? yeah... interesting forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Like all the hate for Aaron Rodgers when he's probably the most appreciated player outside of the Packer Forum? yeah... interesting forum.

It's gonna be a straight comedy show in there post Rodgers. He hasnt been great this season but he is still an elite and one of the best players in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As @Cheesehawk noted, I wouldnt want a team forum as huge as the Packers have.    The Steelers forum used to get more "newbs" than we get now, but they were very hit and miss in terms of being quality posters.    Right now, the Steelers forum isnt extremely active, but we have a good group of veteran posters, most of which have been on here for at least 5 years or so.    I wouldnt mind having some more quality posters, obviously, but I also dont want to have to put up with a bunch of yinzers who are just going to overreact to everything, that what we have Blaq for.   :D

And please, dont recruit from a place like ESPN.    Not saying there arent some good posters there, but its probably like 1 out of every 10.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Browns forum tried to colonize the Chargers forum the week leading up to our game vs. them. But we paid the price and got our butts kicked. :(

Their three members were cool about it, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

As @Cheesehawk noted, I wouldnt want a team forum as huge as the Packers have.    The Steelers forum used to get more "newbs" than we get now, but they were very hit and miss in terms of being quality posters.    Right now, the Steelers forum isnt extremely active, but we have a good group of veteran posters, most of which have been on here for at least 5 years or so.    I wouldnt mind having some more quality posters, obviously, but I also dont want to have to put up with a bunch of yinzers who are just going to overreact to everything, that what we have Blaq for.   :D

And please, dont recruit from a place like ESPN.    Not saying there arent some good posters there, but its probably like 1 out of every 10.  

Just used ESPN as an example when recruiting for forums was easier.  Years ago, they used to have a forum- but no moderators- so you could spam for your forum and get tons of people to visit and register for your own site.  I wouldn't use them nowadays, I would tend to searching people out on smaller niche sites and Twitter when they show an intelligent take.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

maybe select footballsfuture members could go on college "roadshows" to help recruit new members

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2018 at 1:32 PM, RuskieTitan said:

Scrolling through the forum, and its mind blowing how the Packers forum has over 116,000 posts, while the Cardinals and Falcons have 305 and 302... total posts.

Some of the team forums on here are literally dead. Imo something (not sure what or how) should be done to help revive / grow. Just feels like several forums that are around or below 1000 total posts is a poor look for any new potential fans looking to join the site. Browns, Packers, Eagles, etc sure look active but if you were a fan of a team that last had a post almost a month ago... would you care to join?

Yes; under certain conditions which I'll post below

On 11/21/2018 at 8:22 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

Nothing beats old school recruiting- go to the comment section of an ESPN or another big site article about those teams you want to improve, and send the link to this site.  The problem is, it's not going to net the members it used to, you have to be really selective and make sure it's not just spammed everywhere.  I remember the days where you could spam those sites for days back in 2005-2006 and it would net a forum tons of members.  

At the same time, if you are recruiting in some way, you also need to have someone leading efforts in those forums posting at least a thread a day a few weeks before, and have a couple people committed to posting in there to help generate discussion to look like it's active.  

It's a lot of work but it can be done.  

I agree with the premise of this post but the target site needs to be changed

 

I'd like to see the option to link to your twitter account, plenty of people, I'm sure many on this site, have an "anonymous" twitter account (i.e. no personal information shared) they talk football on, NFL twitter is a huge and very active community, and it drives traffic to sooo many football sites, why not also FF?

If you choose to post on FF, you probably appreciate longer-form posts and such... so it will be used supplementary to twitter, and not abandoned. If anything, greater exposure on twitter would drive traffic here and probably membership as well.

There have been plenty of high quality and nuanced football discussions on this site that held as much or more value than blog posts I see on various other football sites that get thousands of RTs.

 

I posted this somewhere in the feedback thread to Webby during the initial beta and I think the answer was "I'll think about it."

Edited by cddolphin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't find the post I alluded to above, but here Webby mentions in August 2017 they might start using some social media in the near future

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×