🏈 Week 12: 49ers (2-8) @ Bucs (3-7)

bucsfan333

1 hour ago, indifference said:

We finally have a kicker. He just needs to stay healthy. Santos is accurate and is doing well on kick offs. 

I agree, it s great to have a kicker with confidence.  The league is all about parity, having a kicker leaving points on the field is not a recipe for success.

http://www.joebucsfan.com/2018/11/jameis-big-play/#more-209891

Basically, we probably had the fewest number of explosives in yesterday’s game, but we controlled the game offensively far better than any other game this season.

Winston settled down and took the sure thing, rather than hanging in there waiting on the big play according to Koetter.

I wonder how much of that desire to wait for the big play is driven by Koetter’sfocus on explosives. It has to play a part.

33 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

http://www.joebucsfan.com/2018/11/jameis-big-play/#more-209891

Basically, we probably had the fewest number of explosives in yesterday’s game, but we controlled the game offensively far better than any other game this season.

Winston settled down and took the sure thing, rather than hanging in there waiting on the big play according to Koetter.

I wonder how much of that desire to wait for the big play is driven by Koetter’sfocus on explosives. It has to play a part.

I think part of the issue is the fans' vision of the oline compared to the coaching staff.  As a whole, I think the oline is middle of the pack.  The offensive design is vertical, I believe long to short reads especially considering how many times the RB is chipping and getting out of the backfield late.  Even the TEs are chipping throughout the game.  So Koetter seems more interested in using more blockers to throw the ball constantly past 10 yds then sending more weapons out but on shorter routes.  In comparison, I watched the Vikings who arguably have a worse oline and easily well over two thieds of Cousins throws were under 10 yds. 

Koetter s QBs cover up a lot of the deficiencies of the oline with their mobility.  The next coaching staff I hope is more interested in adjusting route concepts to help offset the line issues as opposed to relying on more blockers or escapabilty of the QB.  Rules dictate an offense should get as many receivers out as quickly as possible with all the defensive holding called.

2 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I think part of the issue is the fans' vision of the oline compared to the coaching staff.  As a whole, I think the oline is middle of the pack.  The offensive design is vertical, I believe long to short reads especially considering how many times the RB is chipping and getting out of the backfield late.  Even the TEs are chipping throughout the game.  So Koetter seems more interested in using more blockers to throw the ball constantly past 10 yds then sending more weapons out but on shorter routes.  In comparison, I watched the Vikings who arguably have a worse oline and easily well over two thieds of Cousins throws were under 10 yds. 

Koetter s QBs cover up a lot of the deficiencies of the oline with their mobility.  The next coaching staff I hope is more interested in adjusting route concepts to help offset the line issues as opposed to relying on more blockers or escapabilty of the QB.  Rules dictate an offense should get as many receivers out as quickly as possible with all the defensive holding called.

This is a good analysis of it.

You can adapt scheme to help your oline out, but you won’t be able to stand in there all day and throw deep when you have poor linemen on the field. 

The quick game drives teams wild as the pass rush physically can’t get there in time. It also has an extra benefit of acting as an alternative to the running game, like it did yesterday. For all the good pushing it down the field consistently has done us, we’re still unable to establish the run against a favourable box. 

We focused on taking the easy play yesterday, which is horrendously simple, but very effective when you establish a rhythm. We were able to do that on the back of a good defensive performance. The test for the offence (and particularly Winston) will come when the defence isn’t playing well and there’s pressure to score on every drive. 

The Koetter offense is a double edged sword.  No doubt it is the most explosive and best scoring in the teams history.  

My problem is how much better it could be.  The running game is a mess.  If it s not up the middle, they aren t gaining yds on the ground.  For multiple seasons now.  Their screen game is Humphries and that s about it.  Godwin actually had a successful quick screen.  They very rarily use pre snap motion to help the QB identify the defense.  Actually bunch formation was used yesterday.  Is a shallow cross in the play book for a WR. 

I guess if they could put a little more emphasis stretching horizontally, the vertical could even be more effective.

I m not posting this because of an earlier discussion on Winston s deep ball.    Again, how Benenoch stays on the field allowing our QBs to.get buried on pass plays is mind boggling.

Both Winston and Fitz have a lot of balls because both have taken some heavy shots during the season.

35 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Really good to see Vea getting better. Dude was a top 15 pick for crying out loud. I wonder how a new coaching staff would use him and if he’d be effective as a 3-4 nose, but with his physical ability and work ethic I think he’d figure it out.

He looks to be improving every game. 

Archived