Hargrave

3rivers

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

It’s dumb to say you shouldn’t invest in defense after watching the MNF game. If the Rams don’t have playmakers on defense, they lose. We absolutely need to keep drafting defense. Pass rushers and athletes, you can never have too many. Look how much better we’ve been playing now that the defense is healthy.

No ones suggesting (at least I’m not since I had the Monday night comment) not to invest in defense....but I damn sure wouldn’t invest high end assets in a run stuffing nose tackle. 

Key words you said that are 100%: playmakers, athletes, and pass rush. Those things create turnovers, and turnovers are going to be the name of the game on defense moving forward. Winning on defense by stoping the run is a thing of the past, because winning by running is becoming a thing of the past. 

The NFL is leaning heavily towards looking like a Big Ten basketball game. 

8 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Run stuffing NTs are an absolute necessity in the 3-4. If you're playing a team with a 3 WR Base offense then that NT doesn't need to be on the field. In your typical 2 WR sets (depending on Down/Distance) that NT is very important for Rush Defense AND Pass Rush. 

13 minutes ago, jebrick said:

In the Hybrid defensive front, there is a need for a 2 gap run stuffer.  Brandon Williams is the one that comes to mind.

The point here guys is there's no need to have to go for that in early rounds because they won't play a high enough percent of the snaps to make him worth it.  @jebrick you bring up Williams, who was the 94th overall pick.  Damon Harrison was an UDFA.  Bennie Logan was the 67th overall pick.

Those are your 3 top PFF rated 3-4 NT's this year and their draft positions.

On 11/22/2018 at 8:30 AM, warfelg said:

The point here guys is there's no need to have to go for that in early rounds because they won't play a high enough percent of the snaps to make him worth it.  @jebrick you bring up Williams, who was the 94th overall pick.  Damon Harrison was an UDFA.  Bennie Logan was the 67th overall pick.

Those are your 3 top PFF rated 3-4 NT's this year and their draft positions.

I agree.  As I have often pointed out at draft time, pass rushers, CB that can play in space and QB are premium picks.  A solid run stuffer is that early 2nd round pick to late 3rd.

16 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I agree.  As I have often pointed out at draft time, pass rushers, CB that can play in space and QB are premium picks.  A solid run stuffer is that early 2nd round pick to late 3rd.

I'd add anyone that can play in space is a premium pick.  QB's, CB's, WR's, TE's, OT's that can play on an island, Pass Rushers, LB's that can be a 3 down backer.

Those are all becoming premium picks.

Safeties, ILB's, DT/NT, OG/OC, RB's......they aren't that because you can 'find' guys there IMO.

We can argue about WR.  I would never draft one in the 1st round unless it was Megatron. :D

Adding MLB that can process a play and tackle to the top teens list.  Still the premium picks are QB, pass rushers( DE, DT, OLB) and CB.  ILB are so rare in the top 10 they tend to become exceptions.

That's why I say a 3 down backer.  Roquan Smith, Ryan Shazier.  Those guys are really rare.

Speaking of LB's......LVE looks ready to take over for Sean Lee.  I know he's older and injury prone, but the Cowboys can save $7mil next year by cutting him.  He'll turn 34 in season, but I would be willing to see if he wants to take a 2 years $5mil deal with $1.5mil guaranteed to return to PA for one last ride.  He's still a good coverage backer, and having him Williams and Bostic in rotation could be beneficial.

LVE was one I called correctly last year.

IMHO, as a amateur  substitute GM, I would sign a FA ILB and draft Sutton Smith for ILB.  He is the closest thing I see to Shazier in the draft.  Big question mark, can he read plays as a ILB ( plays OLB in college).

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-pittsburgh-di-javon-hargrave-is-climbing-up-the-ranks-on-pace-to-join-the-leagues-elite-at-the-position

PFF isn't the final say, but it is an indication. Hargrave should stay on the field all the time or at least on passing downs when he can attack.  I could see him being a top 10 in PFF FWIW, I know, but still, he's been unblockable  at times and really quick. I would have Heyward and Hargrave at DT and Tuitt could rotate with Heyward. 

Archived