Ok so why does the Rams defense suck?

Apparition

You'd think that with the talent they added over the offseason, a team that was 7th in the league last year in points allowed per possession would have improved at least somewhat. But they've fallen all the way to 26th. And one of the most talented defensive lines in recent memory is somehow last in the league against the run in terms of yards per carry. Yes, I know Aqib Talib has missed time. Yes, I know they don't have a true nose tackle. But I still don't see why they're THIS bad. Is it player failure, scheme failure or both?

1 hour ago, Starless said:

You'd think that with the talent they added over the offseason, a team that was 7th in the league last year in points allowed per possession would have improved at least somewhat. But they've fallen all the way to 26th. And one of the most talented defensive lines in recent memory is somehow last in the league against the run in terms of yards per carry. Yes, I know Aqib Talib has missed time. Yes, I know they don't have a true nose tackle. But I still don't see why they're THIS bad. Is it player failure, scheme failure or both?

Hard disagree. Not even the consensus best DL heading into the season, pretty sure that honor belonged to Jacksonville. Most talented interior of a 4-3 DL in recent memory for sure.

Who knows. I know Peters has been a bit disappointing. Donald has obviously been great, he's on his way to another DPOY. Suh has overall been good I am pretty sure, I mean Donald has 14.5 sacks with 5 games left compared to his previous career high of 11, gotta think Suh has played a big role in that. His run D might be slacking though, he is after all playing a relatively new role, pretty sure he had primarily been playing the 3 tech whereas now he's being asked to be the NT, and we know Donald is not to blame for the porous run D... if that's not the case, then it could just be a case of mediocre LBs who are not using the lanes their DTs give them.

As bad as their D has been though, it's closed out 3 or 4 games for them. If I'm leading and defending on the last drive of the game, this Rams D is one of the top 5 I am trusting to get job done.

8 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Rams score fast, more possessions for opposition... Semi tired defense when your offenses does multiple 50 gains in games. Why the lower bulk ranking.

That’s part of the reason but on paper they should have been better than what they are. I figured that they’d be at least as good as the Vikings defense was last year. Not even close. 

1. Injuries. Losing Aqib Talib early in the season opened a big gap in the secondary. Getting him back on the field will fix their secondary woes.

2. Disappointing players. Marcus Peters has always been known for ballhawking, not shutting down WRs. Now that he's not generating a ton of interceptions, his weaknesses are being exposed.

3. Crap linebackers. LAR has a great line, but it goes downhill from there if opposing team manage to get past the first level.

The run defense is what it is bc of Suh.  He doesnt care about gap integrity and never has, hes always looking to penetrate.  In Detroit Nick Fairley masked a lot of that by being the designated run defender.  But in LA nobody is telling Aaron Donald to not go pass first. When you have 2 interior defenders rushing the passer that opens up the a & b gap

Losing Talib really hurt. He was the press corner which let Peters back off and have the ability to jump routes. With Tabli gone, Peters has been forced into the press role which he isn't great at. Talib coming back will help the secondary a ton, but the front 7 need to step up, especially against the run.

Donald is getting double teamed over 70% of snaps, so someone else should be able to do something. We saw a little this past week, but I think that unit will be more of a good situational defense than one that shuts teams down completely. I'm a little disappointed in Suh, as from what I've seen from him, he's one on one a good amount of the time. 

Archived