Ok so why does the Rams defense suck?

Apparition

6 minutes ago, jaa1025 said:

Rams tried to build a dream team and it doesn't work in the NFL. 

Suh started declining a few seasons ago and is better in a 4-3 than a 3-4. Peters is a malcontent and doesn't fit the scheme, which is why he's getting exposed. Fowler is a situational pass rushing bust that the Jags were happy to get what they got for him. Wade Phillips is 71 and might be time to hang it up. 

Where is this "dream team" coming from? Rams didnt try to build a dream team. They got the players they felt like would fit their team. How many times I have to say this. The Rams was looking for a player to put in the middle of the DL and at the time they were setting up visits with Vea and other prospects of that caliber around the time Suh wanted to come visit with the Rams. He left impressed and signed. The Rams traded for Peters because they felt like he would be an upgrade over Webster and they lost Tru to FA. Not to mention Webster torn his achilles late in the season it was going to be hard for him to come back and be effective. Then Talib became available because the Broncos was trying to save money and try to get into the Cousins sweepstakes. Talib only wanted to play for Wade or Belichick. I dont know what the Pats offered the Broncos but the Rams obviously offered more. Anyone in their right mind would say Talib and Peters were an upgrade over Tru and Webster last season. Shields was mainly for depth as we saw how thin the Rams secondary was last season. It was so bad that the Rams had to start an UDRFA against the Vikings and he got torched by Thielen in the 4th quarter. The Rams then cut him after that game. Then there is Cooks whom McVay wanted to trade for last offseason but didnt have the 1st round pick to give to the Saints. Cooks fit McVay scheme perfectly. He wasnt just some big name that the Rams traded for HOPING he would work out. Fowler was a guy they traded for to get them an upgrade at pass rush from what they already had. I think he has done well considering he has only been on the team for 3 games. 

So again I dont know why people keep thinking thats what the Rams did. I dont see anything they did this season that they didnt do last season when they signed Woods, Whitworth, Webster, Robey-Coleman, Sullivan, and traded for Watkins. I guess the guys this season has bigger names so people just attach that to "dream team" but the smart people think last year the Rams did a nice job improving the team and this season the Rams did a nice job improving the team. After all it is an improvement. They were 11-5 last season and right now they are looking to be at worst 14-2. They went from the 3rd seed last season to either the 1 or 2 seed this season. Thats an improvement. 

1 hour ago, jaa1025 said:

Rams tried to build a dream team and it doesn't work in the NFL. 

Suh started declining a few seasons ago and is better in a 4-3 than a 3-4. Peters is a malcontent and doesn't fit the scheme, which is why he's getting exposed. Fowler is a situational pass rushing bust that the Jags were happy to get what they got for him. Wade Phillips is 71 and might be time to hang it up. 

We're 10-1.

The Rams defense got torched by the Chiefs but they also made critical plays that kept them in the game.  Aaron Donald was a one man army.  Without the turnovers it would have been a massacre.  

Maybe the Rams overspent and tried to buy a championship but they were a nightmare for one of the best QBs in the game.

19 minutes ago, blizofoz45 said:

The Rams defense got torched by the Chiefs but they also made critical plays that kept them in the game.  Aaron Donald was a one man army.  Without the turnovers it would have been a massacre.  

Maybe the Rams overspent and tried to buy a championship but they were a nightmare for one of the best QBs in the game.

If the Rams defense didn’t have Donald...it would look really bad. Most offenses can’t contain him, but those who can could very well march the ball up and down the field with ease. 

IMO you can throw any defensive stats out the window when facing the Rams, Chiefs or Saints. We've had the misfortune of playing both the Chiefs and the Saints.

Aside from those two games, this defense has only given up 30+ points (31) three times: twice against Seattle, once against Minnesota. All of those games came without Talib, and the Vikings game was the Thursday after both Talib and Peters got hurt - and it's Thielen and Diggs.

The only games I was truly angry at our defense were the two against Seattle. The Seahawks season high for points came against us....twice.

Aside from that, our defense has fared pretty well IMO. Against the Saints, after giving up 35 first half points, the offense had the ball in the fourth quarter down 38-35 in New Orleans - that easily could have been a win. Against the Chiefs, the offense spectacularly failed to close out the game and the defense had to do it - twice.

With Talib back, I think you'll see a ripple effect that positively impacts both the pass and run defense. It also helps that we will play some average to below average offenses to close out the year.

3 hours ago, jaa1025 said:

OK? and ? This is about the defense being bad. 

He was simply stating for something that "doesn't work" why are we on the cusp of being the first team to clinch the division this week? If it works in the playoffs remains to be seen. We are two seasons removed from Fisher and 4-12. 

Mcvay and wade are 21-6 the last two seasons. No matter what people think, they have obviously built a winner.

So game one of Talib being back and the Rams defense looked really good. They held the Lions to just 3.9ypc and held their best receiver to 3 catches for 50yds. Their entire receiving group had 11 catches for 110yds and no tds. They only called Talib name one time and it was for a pass breakup. I know people are going to say it was the Lions but still, its night and day from when Talib was out and when he is back. They held the Lions to 16pts despite the Rams offense for most of the game looking sloppy. It was Gurley and the defense that carried the way. Donald once again showed why he is the best defensive player in the NFL. Nothing you can do to stop him. Its going to be interesting down the stretch with this Rams defense. Getting Talib back is huge and again it showed today. 

On 11/27/2018 at 5:36 PM, Riftty said:

He was simply stating for something that "doesn't work" why are we on the cusp of being the first team to clinch the division this week? If it works in the playoffs remains to be seen. We are two seasons removed from Fisher and 4-12. 

Mcvay and wade are 21-6 the last two seasons. No matter what people think, they have obviously built a winner.

I agree. There were plenty of people who had the Rams taking a step back because "they were adding too many strong personalities that will ruin the team" or "they are building a dream team and we saw what happened to the 2011 Eagles". I kept telling people the Rams this season closely resembles the 2017 Eagles than they do the 2011 Eagles. Oh well, all I know is the Rams got Talib back, their defense looked great today and it stood out due to the Rams sloppiness on offense outside of Gurley. We didnt hear much about Golladay today, I wonder why? Is it because Talib was shutting him down? Exactly. Talib makes calling a defensive gameplan for Wade easier. There is nothing left to talk about with Donald. He is just great.

2 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I agree. There were plenty of people who had the Rams taking a step back because "they were adding too many strong personalities that will ruin the team" or "they are building a dream team and we saw what happened to the 2011 Eagles". I kept telling people the Rams this season closely resembles the 2017 Eagles than they do the 2011 Eagles. Oh well, all I know is the Rams got Talib back, their defense looked great today and it stood out due to the Rams sloppiness on offense outside of Gurley. We didnt hear much about Golladay today, I wonder why? Is it because Talib was shutting him down? Exactly. Talib makes calling a defensive gameplan for Wade easier. There is nothing left to talk about with Donald. He is just great.

We have to assume Talib wasn't at full speed either. It's gonna take a game or two to get back in the swing of things. 

And there is everything to say about Donald. I have been a Rams fan since 98 and he is the best defensive player I have seen wear the horns. His strip sack today changed the momentum of the game again. He has done this all year. I have watched every snap of every game this year. And he is our best player.

Archived