Week 12 GDT: 49ers @ Bucs - UDFA vs #1 Overall

N4L

@JIllg posted in here earlier in the week that this is a weird matchup between strengths and weaknesses this week. 

The Bucs turn the ball over like crazy, and our defense is still last in takeaways. Amazingly they have FAR surpassed us in the turnover department. They are -23 with 29 giveaways and 6 takeaways. We are -15 with 20 giveaways and 5 takeaways.

The game script for them has been that they fall behind early because of said turnovers, then they come storming back and the other team has to score enough to withstand the barrage of points they accumulate with chunk plays. It is unclear if our offense would be able to outgun this tampa team, or if we would be able force the turnovers early to get the lead. Just an odd matchup from those terms. 

They have weapons everywhere. Mike Evans will probably man handle witherspoon, same with Chris Godwin. Both guys are massive and can run and the Bucs would be foolish not to line them up on the offenses left side away from sherman and just abuse whoever is over there.

On the offense's right, they should put desean jackson. That guy can still fly. Sherm has been very solid this year, but he knows his physical limitations and basically lets WRs run underneath routes on him whenever they want, especially guys that he knows can easily out run him. The fact jackson is such a dangerous deep threat will force him to turn his hips early and that will allow easy completions underneath. If Saleh is smart he would drop a LB underneath on that side to undercut routes and try and get interceptions. 

In this godforsaken 3 deep shell we run, and with the pitiful lack of S depth, we dont have enough deep defenders to give S help on both sides. Sherm will know this and be forced to get deep with jackson on his side. It just seems like jackson's quickness is a very bad matchup for Sherman (who honestly was losing a step before his Achilles injury) but he would have a much much easier time on Evans or Godwin. I hate how we let the offense dictate matchups every week. 

Honestly, with how Sherm tackled in the box two weeks ago, I would have him man up TEs for the rest of the year if we had anyone else to play at corner. 

OJ Howard is on IR now, but they still have Brate who is a solid TE in his own right. 

They have struggled to run the ball. Lets make them continue to struggle running the ball with 6 defenders so that we can allocate more bodies on their outside weapons. Does anyone know if Foster is back this week?

As @J-ALL-DAY said in another thread, this is do or time for the former #1 overall pick. You would think he would be sharp and protect the football. He does have nice touch on his passes and throws a very catchable ball. Hes been very inconsistent in his career but has had some really nice games/moments. 

I know very little about what type of defense they run but I do know what they have one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL. Perfect time to make former UDFA BIG DCIK NICK MONEY MULLENS look like Joe Cool and embareass (yes em-bareass, its worse than being embarrassed because you rear end is bare and that makes it twice as awkward. not to be confused with getting embearassed, which is when a bear eats your rear after he kills you. at that point, no awkwardness because youre already dead) the former #1overall, captain crablegs

tenor.gif?itemid=10226581)

(I actually like Jameis but that gif makes me giggle everytime)

Everyone knows we have the #1 overall pick right now. Wouldnt be the worst thing to lose a close, entertaining game where Breida and Kittle add to their highlight reels. 

@bucsfan333 come join the party

7 hours ago, N4L said:

OJ Howard is on IR now, but they still have Brate who is a solid TE in his own right. 

You're forgetting Antony Auclair, dammit! A good little Beauceron just up the river from me! Notre-Dame-des-Pins represent, yo!

I predict he doubles his season's production with a solid 28 yards!

Some predictions:

-Witherspoon or Sherman get their first INT of the season

-Goodwin goes for 100+

-Foster gets a sack

-Mike Evans goes for 120+

-Mullens throws for 300+

-Buccaneers win 27-24

I will say though the team is prime to be pretty competitive the rest of the way. Kind of like last year towards the end of the season when the team started to get healthier and of course with Jimmy G they completely took off. The three week rest for Foster is going to be huge for him. Felt so bad seeing him drag his shoulder the last few games that he played in. 

8 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Some predictions:

-Witherspoon or Sherman get their first INT of the season

-Goodwin goes for 100+

-Foster gets a sack

-Mike Evans goes for 120+

-Mullens throws for 300+

-Buccaneers win 27-24

I will say though the team is prime to be pretty competitive the rest of the way. Kind of like last year towards the end of the season when the team started to get healthier and of course with Jimmy G they completely took off. The three week rest for Foster is going to be huge for him. Felt so bad seeing him drag his shoulder the last few games that he played in. 

I'll say Goodwin has his best game since the GB game..I'm thinkin close to 200 yards........Bold but hey what the heck!

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Why? (Actually just curious why you say that)

He's probably referring to the 5th year option being guaranteed for injury. Also Fitz gives them a better draft pick as well I would imagine. 

I think the bucs have resigned themselves to the fact they are kinda stuck with him for the foreseeable future... Similar to the jags and bortles 

Koetters job is on the line

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

He's probably referring to the 5th year option being guaranteed for injury. Also Fitz gives them a better draft pick as well I would imagine. 

I think the bucs have resigned themselves to the fact they are kinda stuck with him for the foreseeable future... Similar to the jags and bortles 

Koetters job is on the line

The fifth year option was what I though as well, but personally, don't see any way in which he's not the starter next year. There's just nothing better they can replace him with

Agreed. They are stuck with him for another year at least. Not the worst thing. 

Last year they were plagued with kicking issues. I remember they almost beat the Patriots at home on a Thursday but their kicker missed like 3 field goals and I think there were a couple of other games they lost because of their kicker as well. 

If they can give him an ok defense and/or a run game, they could be solid enough 

16 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I just think he's played better overall. If Koetter is ok with his job security then maybe play Winston I guess.

He's played like crap since regaining his starting role. To go back to Winston was the right decision. See if he can do anything in last six or so games. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Goodwin doubtful for tomorrow due to "personal issues". Hopefully everything is okay with his family. Been a trying past 12 months or so for them. 

I cringed a bit when I read that today. He's been through so much and hate to see him having to go through something again. Wish him and his family the best. 

So if he can't go and neither can Garcon, that means 10+ targets for Pettis? 

Archived