Week 12 GDT: 49ers @ Bucs - UDFA vs #1 Overall

N4L

11 minutes ago, uk9erfan said:

Holy moley, he was really good.  

I can't remember why he went to the Raiders in the prime of his career. Might have been a trade or injury related. Can't find anything online about it, but I'm pretty sure I have a 49ers book that sheds light on the subject. 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

You just can't run as much of this cover 3 zone without a consistent pass rush. And stop having the DL run stunts on 3rd down allowing Winston to extend the play and find the open the receiver. Was way too easy for Winston and pretty much every QB. 

For sure...though a nearly 5 yard average separation is horrific to hear. People shouldn't be that wide open in the zone. Tells me that our defenders continue to break their zones and don't have the discipline to sit on them. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

For sure...though a nearly 5 yard average separation is horrific to hear. People shouldn't be that wide open in the zone. Tells me that our defenders continue to break their zones and don't have the discipline to sit on them. 

I mean that is what happens when the QB has all day to throw though. The receivers work themselves open as we saw more than a few times today. The defense also lacks some speed/athletes to be honest. It's just all bad lol.

Even Sherman got cooked today and he's been great all season. Spoon got called for a BS DPI, but he was by far the better of the two today. 

18 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Even Sherman got cooked today and he's been great all season

Has he been great, or has he just not been thrown at all that much? With the rest of the secondary sucking, other teams just exploited the others, and gave Sherman some "respect", just in case he actually was back in shape. But overall, he has been average too. Only that average, on our defense, is the best we got.

7 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Has he been great, or has he just not been thrown at all that much? With the rest of the secondary sucking, other teams just exploited the others, and gave Sherman some "respect", just in case he actually was back in shape. But overall, he has been average too. Only that average, on our defense, is the best we got.

I agree with this. I think his play this year has been overstated. I alluded to it with the first post of this thread. 

He hasn't been terrible, but his targets would suggest he's been some all world player this year but that would be misleading. He's lost a step and imo he was losing a step before the injury. 

Just now, N4L said:

I agree with this. I think his play this year has been overstated. I alluded to it with the first post of this thread. 

He hasn't been terrible, but his targets would suggest he's been some all world player this year but that would be misleading. He's lost a step and imo he was losing a step before the injury. 

It's the Scrabble effect. Nnamdi was a good corner, but how great he actually was is debatable. But when the rest of the secondary was as bad as the raiders' was, why even throw at the guy who is pretty good

Just now, N4L said:

Yeah, why even risk throwing the ball in the direction of the only guy who can catch a ball in our secondary, when you don't have to? It's like, if I see two of my brothers in the outfield, I won't try to hit it towards my overweight brother who used to be able to play ball, I'll hit it towards my fit brother who might just ran into the fence and get his foot stuck under it and cry. That's common sense.

15 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Well, they would throw at him if he was truly average. Usually he has tight coverage. The catches he allows are always contested minus yesterday. Look at the catches he allowed against AZ and GB. And before today he was allowing less than a 50% completion percentage backing up why he hasn't been targeted much. If he wasn't getting thrown at much and allowed a high completion percentage? I can see your point. But the fact that when he does get targeted and majority of the time it is an incompletion? That validates him getting a low number of targets. 

Archived