AFC North Rivals Tracker (Strengths, Issues, Injuries, & What We're Up Against)

Mind Character

****** I of course biasedly think most of my thread topics make sense and are somewhat relevant for discussion on the Browns board; however, I'm not so sure about this one in that I don't want to devote too much talk of our opponents on our teams discussion board.*****

With that said, beyond the draft, I don't have a good sense this year about what we're up against except for a very surface and "hot-takey" understanding of our divisional rivals.

For example, "the Bengals lost a lot of talent at OLine (Whitworth and Zeitler." But are they really going to struggle? That is, are the backups standouts in camp etc.....

So, I thought those that have info on our rivals could post relevant info here.

***Note: It may be decided via activity and/or objections that it be better to go to our rivals' team forums to glean this type of info; however, since we all have friends, family, coworkers that likely root for our rivals' teams or have info on them it would be cool to post here to further understanding of what we're up against this year.

I think that we can at least hang with both the Bengals and Ravens.  Neither team is that good.

Unfortunately we have a long long way to go to compete with the Steelers.  They have more talent across the board on both sides of the ball, they have experience, and they have a very good coach.

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

1. Strengths  -  Entire offense aside from TE.    Defensive Ends are near the top of the league as far as 3-4 teams....DLine as a whole could be beastly if Hargrave gets better vs the run.    

2. Weakness -  TE. but I think Jesse James could be solid, although he will still be a weak spot on an otherwise loaded offense.    Im somewhat worried about inside linebacker, especially if Shazier cant stay healthy all year.     Vince Williams is too up and down.     Secondary is still the weak spot, but there is some potential back there.   Still, with guys like Ross Cockrell, William Gay and Mike Mitchell still likely to get alot of playing time,  our secondary is still going to be the biggest vulnerability.   

3. Positional groups that could go either way -  Outside Linebacker.    TJ Watt looks like he COULD be an absolute beast, and Bud Dupree definitely has the ability as well.   However, Dupree has to improve his technique and consistency, and we have only seen one PRESEASON game from Watt thus far (although he is impressing in camp as well),    Point is,  both of them are still question marks....but both have huge upside.

4. Biggest points (players, positions, etc) for optimism -   Not really sure what youre looking for here that isnt in the strengths/weaknesses, but Im optimistic that our offense can finally stay healthy and together for most or all of the season, and we can finally see what this offense can be with a healthy Killer B unit.      Also optimistic in our OLBs....even though they could go either way, as mentioned above.

5. Biggest points (players, positions, etc) of concern  -  Secondary, and maybe Bell's attitude.     

Salute to the multi-quote option on the new forum. By clicking the the plus sign instead of the word quote you can in essence save a quote for later; as a result, the quote above is actually from the steelers team forum.

I put the question out there and a poster responded with what you see above. This new forum site has some interesting gadgets and tools for sure....

The only division team that I think sweeps us is the steelers. 

Most likely we win one against the Ravens and one against the Bengals.

All three teams have a quarterback to a greater or lesser extent. And their coaches are similar. I think Harbaugh is the best in the division, then Tomlin and Lewis. Both Pitt and Balt have a good front offices. I don't fear any o their defenses. 

Overall I think the division is wide open for the taking. So lets get it. 

15 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

I think that we can at least hang with both the Bengals and Ravens.  Neither team is that good.

Unfortunately we have a long long way to go to compete with the Steelers.  They have more talent across the board on both sides of the ball, they have experience, and they have a very good coach.

Until Roethlisberger retires to rap & Leveon signs with us for $$$ next year.  #driverseat

13 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

The only division team that I think sweeps us is the steelers. 

Most likely we win one against the Ravens and one against the Bengals.

All three teams have a quarterback to a greater or lesser extent. And their coaches are similar. I think Harbaugh is the best in the division, then Tomlin and Lewis. Both Pitt and Balt have a good front offices. I don't fear any o their defenses. 

Overall I think the division is wide open for the taking. So lets get it. 

Hot take. We split 2 of our division series' this year and sweep one team. 

200w.gif

10 minutes ago, EL Brownso said:

Hot take. We split 2 of our division series' this year and sweep one team. 

200w.gif

If that happens, then we could take the div.
If we take the division, then we got to the playoffs. 
then first week Myles Garrett sacks Paxton Lynch 6 times and we beat the Bronocs 6-5.
then we play the Patriots, go into foxborogh and Josh Gordon is reinstated and scores 3 TDS against Malcom Butler. we win 21-20.
then we are in the AFC championship game against the Texans and Watsons throws 3 picks to Peppers all pick 6's. We win 58-0.
In the Superbowl against the Seahawks, Crowell runs wild after his contract extension, and goes or 225 yards and 2 touchdowns. the Kizer throws bombs on the boom, 2 50 yard tds pin point between Thomas and Sherman to Coleman. "you mad bro" 28-14 Browns win. 

Drinks on Cro. 

It is happening. 

3 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

If that happens, then we could take the div.
If we take the division, then we got to the playoffs. 
then first week Myles Garrett sacks Paxton Lynch 6 times and we beat the Bronocs 6-5.
then we play the Patriots, go into foxborogh and Josh Gordon is reinstated and scores 3 TDS against Malcom Butler. we win 21-20.
then we are in the AFC championship game against the Texans and Watsons throws 3 picks to Peppers all pick 6's. We win 58-0.
In the Superbowl against the Seahawks, Crowell runs wild after his contract extension, and goes or 225 yards and 2 touchdowns. the Kizer throws bombs on the boom, 2 50 yard tds pin point between Thomas and Sherman to Coleman. "you mad bro" 28-14 Browns win. 

Drinks on Cro. 

It is happening. 

I like it. 

Here's hoping we can somehow pull it off, I dropped $100 on the Browns to take the division at 51/1 odds (I think that's +5100 for you)

Counting on a collapse by the bengals due to O-line issues etc, ravens to perform poorly due to the injury bug being all up in their grill and the off chance someone huge gets hurt from the squeelers. 

7 hours ago, killin' it like ki7er said:

Here's hoping we can somehow pull it off, I dropped $100 on the Browns to take the division at 51/1 odds (I think that's +5100 for you)

Counting on a collapse by the bengals due to O-line issues etc, ravens to perform poorly due to the injury bug being all up in their grill and the off chance someone huge gets hurt from the squeelers. 

I'd have given you 52/1 odds if I knew you were that compelled to give away money.

Yeah, I'm not even going to entertain thoughts of beating the Steelers - I just want to see some individual wins against them from players like Garrett and Crowell.

When it comes to the Bungles, I'm not sure I understand the thought that they're in a position of weakness now - they're only one season removed from going 12-4 and had one of the top drafts during the offseason (still ticked they got Lawson in the 4th). I know they lost two important pieces in their o-line, but otherwise I could still see them being a 10 win team if healthy.

If the Browns do hit their potential, the Ravens are the one team I think they can potentially leap frog. Between being old and Flacco's back injury (something QBs should be terrified of) I could definitely see things coming off the tracks for them in the next season or two.

34 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I'd have given you 52/1 odds if I knew you were that compelled to give away money.

Easy come, easy go.

just one less afternoon at the bar after a days work for the chance however slim of a nice little holiday at seasons end. Stranger things have happened with the whole worst to first. The division is bound to fall by the wayside very soon and at those odds why not take a chance if it's between my means.

15 minutes ago, BwickRedux said:

Yeah, I'm not even going to entertain thoughts of beating the Steelers - I just want to see some individual wins against them from players like Garrett and Crowell.

Neither, something would have to go terribly wrong for them to wind up second best to at end of year. A win week 1 will make it a little more interesting

Archived