Saint's playoff picture - 2018

Mid Iowa

2 hours ago, SWATcha said:

No, they're not, but the fact that he came back and lasted less than 30min should tell you everything you need to know. Means his injury was more severe than they led everyone to believe.  You see the way he was holding it after he re-injured it? He was practically holding one arm up with the other, which I took as just the weight of his arm hanging down was enough to cause pain and discomfort. He's most likely sitting on a grade 3 tear which results in complete loss of muscle function and a significant loss in strength. It's going to take him all the way until next season to get right and get back to 100%.

Again, it might? We simply don't know at this time, this is all purely speculation as to the severity of it.

8 hours ago, SWATcha said:

No, they're not, but the fact that he came back and lasted less than 30min should tell you everything you need to know. Means his injury was more severe than they led everyone to believe.  You see the way he was holding it after he re-injured it? He was practically holding one arm up with the other, which I took as just the weight of his arm hanging down was enough to cause pain and discomfort. He's most likely sitting on a grade 3 tear which results in complete loss of muscle function and a significant loss in strength. It's going to take him all the way until next season to get right and get back to 100%.

If that's the case, wouldn't the Saints:
A) need to list this as an issue?
B) quickly get him to IR so we can fill a roster spot while there's 2 weeks (well, just over 1 now) to prepare?

This leads me to believe he's still playable. I'm sure they've MRI'd the he*l out of that thing to know one way or another. And I don't think they'd just be sitting on him as a trump card. In fact, just the opposite. I'd rather have the opposition practicing for the back up rather than the 1st stringer.

7 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

B) quickly get him to IR so we can fill a roster spot while there's 2 weeks (well, just over 1 now) to prepare?

This leads me to believe he's still playable. I'm sure they've MRI'd the he*l out of that thing to know one way or another. And I don't think they'd just be sitting on him as a trump card. In fact, just the opposite. I'd rather have the opposition practicing for the back up rather than the 1st stringer.

Well they thought, or hoped he'd be playable against the Steelers and he wasn't.  He's too good of a player IMO to not at least give him a chance, but I think the chance is high he re-injures it.  I hope I'm wrong and he plays all postseason with no issues, but I think at this point you gotta expect that to be a long shot.

Reading through all this I'm feeling pretty pessimistic about Armstead now.

Still, if he's out, I like Peat at left tackle. He's no Armstead but he's competent and more athletic than Bushrod. And now that Clapp has some real game experience at guard and we know he can handle it. 

I really really really hope Armstead can get back though. He's a difference maker for this offense. I think I saw somewhere that Brees' QB rating is something like 20 points higher with Armstead in the lineup than without.

15 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

It's been listed as an issue since he injured it. Saints are under no obligation to list how major of an issue it is though.....

I think they're just trying and have been trying to be as optimistic about it as possible, not necessarily a "trump card", but more of a "if he can heal he can go". At this point in the season though, who would you want to sign and bring in? Nobody they bring in will be as beneficial as a "healthy" Armstead. I think they'll just continue to hope and pray that he's somehow able to play at some point in the playoffs.

Me personally, I have my doubts. (Obviously I hope I'm wrong) but, I've torn muscles and seen enough torn muscles that when I watch Armstead, it just doesn't look good. 

22 hours ago, SWATcha said:

It's been listed as an issue since he injured it. Saints are under no obligation to list how major of an issue it is though.....

I think they're just trying and have been trying to be as optimistic about it as possible, not necessarily a "trump card", but more of a "if he can heal he can go". At this point in the season though, who would you want to sign and bring in? Nobody they bring in will be as beneficial as a "healthy" Armstead. I think they'll just continue to hope and pray that he's somehow able to play at some point in the playoffs.

Me personally, I have my doubts. (Obviously I hope I'm wrong) but, I've torn muscles and seen enough torn muscles that when I watch Armstead, it just doesn't look good. 

I hear ya, and to answer your question I noted above, nobody. Nobody (or few) in the league are as good as a "healthy" Armstead.

I've torn a few muscles, too. One had me on the bench for 9 months before I could even work out, per my Doctor (low calf/achilles). The other (forearm) just hurt. I worked hard with that one, and it was just a matter of enduring the pain. It never got worse, and in fact, it healed itself after several months. No surgery, and no "rest" with that one.

So, my only point was that if he's out for the season, the Doctors and training staff would know it by now, and he'd likely be replaced with somebody, anybody. Payton is already wanting the league to expand the 53 roster, and this is why. If he needed a body, he'd be all over it. Of course, this is all just my opinion, and you already know I appreciate yours a lot, too.

Let's just hope he's a go, they shoot him up with numby, and he can control Mack, Donald, or whoever lines up across from him.

2 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

I hear ya, and to answer your question I noted above, nobody. Nobody (or few) in the league are as good as a "healthy" Armstead.

I've torn a few muscles, too. One had me on the bench for 9 months before I could even work out, per my Doctor (low calf/achilles). The other (forearm) just hurt. I worked hard with that one, and it was just a matter of enduring the pain. It never got worse, and in fact, it healed itself after several months. No surgery, and no "rest" with that one.

So, my only point was that if he's out for the season, the Doctors and training staff would know it by now, and he'd likely be replaced with somebody, anybody. Payton is already wanting the league to expand the 53 roster, and this is why. If he needed a body, he'd be all over it. Of course, this is all just my opinion, and you already know I appreciate yours a lot, too.

Let's just hope he's a go, they shoot him up with numby, and he can control Mack, Donald, or whoever lines up across from him.

Oof! I tore my calf as well.....twice. Also did a grade 2 tear on my pec. 🤬 hurt! Lol.

I'm with you. Hoping like hell he's a go.

So sticking with the original topic here, anyone have any preferences on who you want to see the Saints play next week? 

3 hours ago, SWATcha said:

Oof! I tore my calf as well.....twice. Also did a grade 2 tear on my pec. 🤬 hurt! Lol.  <<--Big Ouch!!

I'm with you. Hoping like hell he's a go.

So sticking with the original topic here, anyone have any preferences on who you want to see the Saints play next week? 

I'm thinking the Seahawks would be my preferred matchup, just because I think our offense can beat their D, and their offense can't stop our D line.

I don't want to see Dallas again. A revenge win would be great, but that D is scary. They flat out took us behind the woodshed earlier, and I don't want that again, especially with the (likely) Rams or Bears D the following week.

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

Congratz Saints. Cowboys will be cheering you guys on only on the condition yall invite Jerry to the Super Bowl and the party after just to rub it in his damn face.

No. Jerry isn’t allowed.

Archived