Andy Dalton's Future

SmittyBacall

Marvin Lewis' future seems self-evidently determined, though we all felt this way last season. Assuming, and this is a huge assumption, that Marvin Lewis and the Bengals organization part ways this offseason, will Dalton continue to be our franchise QB of the future? I'm beginning to wonder how attached Mike Brown and Katie Blackburn are to sticking with Dalton into the future. Marvin Lewis rightfully receives the brunt of responsibility for our franchises decade long purgatory or mediocrity, but I can't help attribute some of the blame on Dalton's limitations. What will it take for the franchise to move on if it were to happen? I don't think this roster is devoid of talent, and maybe some fresh coaching would be enough to get us back on track, but I'm starting to warm up to the idea to at least dip our toes in the QB draft water. What do you think?

Will the next HC candidate have to agree to move on with Dalton as a prerequisite to the HC position?

Will the Bengals target a developmental prospect somewhat early in the upcoming draft?

Will the Bengals eventually draft a first round QB (maybe 2020) to eventually replace Dalton ala Mahomes and Alex Smith in KC?

What did I miss to indicate Marvin will be gone next year?  Andy is tied to his hip.  

Dalton will last one more year after his long term replacement is drafted.  So if we take a guy like Grier this year, he will sit for a year, and then we move on from Dalton a full season after that.  If it takes three years to find his replacement, count on four more years of Andy

Andy’s deal is so good for the club tho. Not as good as a rookie deal but will a new coach want to start with a complete unknown or someone who at least knows how to get to the playoffs? 

I really dont don’t want to think about it much because we live in a world where Marv getting fired is just not in the cards.

I think they could make a playoff run with Dalton, given the right coaching and personnel around him.

They have some good core players on offense.  Problem is that they don't have an exceptional offensive mind to elevate these guys.

Would i move on from Dalton?  I'd draft a guy, if the right guy is there.  I wouldn't pass on a guy like Mahomes and draft John Ross.  The position is too important to never consider upgrading it.

Dalton is barely better than the backups.  McCarron couldn't crack the Bills roster, but he didn't look that much worse than Dalton when he came in.

Driskel took chances and has a strong arm.  I wouldn't mind seeing him for 2-3 games.  I don't think we'll move on from Dalton for another 2-3 years, but at least with injuries we get to see other guys from time to time...

5 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Driskel took chances and has a strong arm.  I wouldn't mind seeing him for 2-3 games.  I don't think we'll move on from Dalton for another 2-3 years, but at least with injuries we get to see other guys from time to time...

Given more game tape, i expect him to look like Ryan Fitzpatrick circa 2010 when he came in for Palmer.

1 minute ago, TheVillain112 said:

So better than Andy Dalton?

Eww no.  Ryan Fitzpatrick was really really really bad that year.

Also, i had the wrong year.  Palmer was hurt in 2008.  Ryan came in in relief, and was 2018 Bills QB bad.

5 minutes ago, theJ said:

Eww no.  Ryan Fitzpatrick was really really really bad that year.

Also, i had the wrong year.  Palmer was hurt in 2008.  Ryan came in in relief, and was 2018 Bills QB bad.

He wasn't great, but he wasn't as bad as you're making it.  The OL that year was awful with Eric GuySuck at center, who got Palmer hurt in the first place.  Fitzpatricks mobility helped that year, as I'm hoping Driskel's does this year.

In addition, he can sling the ball.  Not the greatest placement but he's willing to throw it.  Boyd and AJ can help with the off target throws.  Also, Driskel I think will be able to hit Ross on a deep ball which Andy Dalton has shown he can't...

2 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

He wasn't great, but he wasn't as bad as you're making it.  The OL that year was awful with Eric GuySuck at center, who got Palmer hurt in the first place.  Fitzpatricks mobility helped that year, as I'm hoping Driskel's does this year.

It was the worst QB'ing we've seen in an extended performance in Cincinnati since 2002.

Comp% under 60%
More INT's than TD's
8 TD's in 13 games
Ran for 300 yards, so let's not pretend his mobility really helped much

It was really bad.

I don't think Driskel will be that bad, because as you said, the performance around him should be better.  But he's going to be worse than Andy.

Just now, INbengalfan said:

Haha.  My friend and I both commented on the fact that Driskell attacked the middle, which Dalton only does with Eifert.

He'll turn the ball over more, but I'm ok with that.  That comes with experience.  I like the fact that he has the arm strength and willingness to make that throw...

Archived