Steelers Strengths, Weakness, Optimism, Concerns, etc

Mind Character

I'm trying to figure out what we're up against with the Steelers this year.

Beyond the draft and the obvious things (Big Ben and Leveon Bell are ballers).I don't have any real understanding of this years teams':

1. Strengths,

2. Weakness,

3. Positional groups that could go either way,

4. Main reasons (players, positions, coaches, new attitude, rumors etc) for optimism, as it relates to potential team success

5. Main reasons (players, positions, coaches, locker room attitudes, rumors etc) for concern as it relates to team success/failure

With that in mind, I'd love the chance to get perspectives from the Steelers faithful. Thanks.

1. Strengths  -  Entire offense aside from TE.    Defensive Ends are near the top of the league as far as 3-4 teams....DLine as a whole could be beastly if Hargrave gets better vs the run.    

2. Weakness -  TE. but I think Jesse James could be solid, although he will still be a weak spot on an otherwise loaded offense.    Im somewhat worried about inside linebacker, especially if Shazier cant stay healthy all year.     Vince Williams is too up and down.     Secondary is still the weak spot, but there is some potential back there.   Still, with guys like Ross Cockrell, William Gay and Mike Mitchell still likely to get alot of playing time,  our secondary is still going to be the biggest vulnerability.   

3. Positional groups that could go either way -  Outside Linebacker.    TJ Watt looks like he COULD be an absolute beast, and Bud Dupree definitely has the ability as well.   However, Dupree has to improve his technique and consistency, and we have only seen one PRESEASON game from Watt thus far (although he is impressing in camp as well),    Point is,  both of them are still question marks....but both have huge upside.

4. Biggest points (players, positions, etc) for optimism -   Not really sure what youre looking for here that isnt in the strengths/weaknesses, but Im optimistic that our offense can finally stay healthy and together for most or all of the season, and we can finally see what this offense can be with a healthy Killer B unit.      Also optimistic in our OLBs....even though they could go either way, as mentioned above.

5. Biggest points (players, positions, etc) of concern  -  Secondary, and maybe Bell's attitude.     

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

1. Strengths  -  Entire offense aside from TE.    Defensive Ends are near the top of the league as far as 3-4 teams....DLine as a whole could be beastly if Hargrave gets better vs the run.    

2. Weakness -  TE. but I think Jesse James could be solid, although he will still be a weak spot on an otherwise loaded offense.    Im somewhat worried about inside linebacker, especially if Shazier cant stay healthy all year.     Vince Williams is too up and down.     Secondary is still the weak spot, but there is some potential back there.   Still, with guys like Ross Cockrell, William Gay and Mike Mitchell still likely to get alot of playing time,  our secondary is still going to be the biggest vulnerability.   

3. Positional groups that could go either way -  Outside Linebacker.    TJ Watt looks like he COULD be an absolute beast, and Bud Dupree definitely has the ability as well.   However, Dupree has to improve his technique and consistency, and we have only seen one PRESEASON game from Watt thus far (although he is impressing in camp as well),    Point is,  both of them are still question marks....but both have huge upside.

4. Biggest points (players, positions, etc) for optimism -   Not really sure what youre looking for here that isnt in the strengths/weaknesses, but Im optimistic that our offense can finally stay healthy and together for most or all of the season, and we can finally see what this offense can be with a healthy Killer B unit.      Also optimistic in our OLBs....even though they could go either way, as mentioned above.

5. Biggest points (players, positions, etc) of concern  -  Secondary, and maybe Bell's attitude.     

Appreciate your insight...yeah, points 4 and 5 were unclear and a little redundant. I modified those points above for any future answers although it still may be a little unclear.

Was just looking for reasons for optimism or concern based on inside knowledge of the team. For example, with the Browns, there is a hint of optimism and the reason is because of Gregg Williams and how hard he has coached the defense. Time will tell, and we'll still probably be garbage but it's insight that people outside of following the browns may not know.

In some cases, players lose confidence in a coach or a player (jags players and bortles)...I wouldn't think there would be a rumor like that with the steelers but any additional insights if there are any are appreciated.

Your points 1-3 were detailed and help me understand a lot more about the uncertainty at LB with dupree and shazier.

A lot of us browns fans love and root for shazier to be healthy b/c of his ohio state connections but we hate what he does for you guys against us for obvious reasons.

Bud dupree was someone we wanted desperately in the draft before we transitioned away from the 34. From the outside looking in, wasn't sure about the consistency issue...

And i definitely wasnt sure about you all's secondary either...

I give us a 10 percent chance to beat you all once and that of course is in the second game when big ben sits.

Cant believe you guys got JuJu that late in the draft....he's going to ball

I'll take this from a different angle, but I am actually going to NOT count our RB situation as a strength. This contract nonsense this summer, IDK, I've got a bad feeling. I understand Bell wanting to get paid, but what the Steelers offered was VERY un-Steeler-like to begin with; we don't over-pay, and we certainly do not reset markets, yet, they just offered EXACTLY that. I think this leaves a 'bad taste' in a few peoples' mouths.

How, exactly, does Bell think that DeAngelo had his best season in like 6 years, in 2015? And then, while LeVeon was "chillin' " thanks to his awesome decision making skills, DeAngelo was working...in the 1st 2 gms, he had 237 yds on 58 carries and 2 TDs. Did DeAngelo find the fountain of youth?  No, he had one of the top rushing OLs in front of him.

Bell has played in 18 of 32 eligible games the past two seasons, and the Steelers just offered him $30M over the first 2 years...there's your $15M per year, LeVeon...anyway, WAY more than any RB is even close to making, and he has the nerve to say:

"I feel I'm worth more than what they are offering me."

Screw him. Let another team like the Dolphins, or Bills, or Cleveland pay him his $15M per, and watch him fade away into mediocrity...

If I were the Steelers Brass, I'd 'kindly' remind him that he's played in 55% of the available games over the past two years, and that the price is going down from here...oh, and so are your touches...James Connor and Knile Davis can handle the load just fine behind our OL, so we'll do a 40-30-30 split with touches week one, and see how things go. In fact, I'm curious to see how Davis will fare behind our OL, or maybe even Terrell Watson, though I don't know much about him.

Knile Davis sucks....and this is coming from someone who really liked him coming out.    No chance in hell the split is 40-30-30.  They are going to run the wheels off Bell, and if they are smart, they will tag him and do the same again next year (unless they hard target a top free agent, which they dont really do).

Honestly dont think Knile Davis will even make the team.  I think he will be cut in the final round of cuts.   If they were to decide to limit Bell's touches more than I expect, I think they will sign a different free agent, perhaps after preseason when a decent RB should be available.

By week 3, though, I fully expect Bell to be getting 75-80% of the RB touches.

When healthy and not suspended:

QB:  Elite of course

RB:  Elite, and Conner is a huge upgrade over that loser Toussaint as the #2 back.

WR:  Very thin depth.  Brown is elite, but the rest all have huge red flags.  Big play capability but unreliable hands, suspension risks, etc, across the board.

TE:  Pretty average.  McGee and Grimble have shown flashes and James we know is at least ok.  

OL:  Solid across the board.  

DL:  Elite.  Not sure about quality of depth though.  

LB:  Shazier is elite if healthy.  Dupree has an elite burst and will make splash plays as a result.  Watt needs a lot of work, but he'll make some plays due to his motor and intelligence (but I don't see splash plays coming just yet, he needs to disengage faster for them).  Not sure on 3rd LB.

CB:  average?  

S:  average?  

Main reason for optimism?  Big Ben and the offense are going to light it up if healthy. 

Main reason for concern?  The D can get torched and we don't know what we have in half of the players that will log serious minutes on D.  We also are dead in the water if we get injuries to Ben, and it'll hurt big time if Brown or Bell are hurt/suspended too.  

14 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Knile Davis sucks....and this is coming from someone who really liked him coming out.    No chance in hell the split is 40-30-30.  They are going to run the wheels off Bell, and if they are smart, they will tag him and do the same again next year (unless they hard target a top free agent, which they dont really do).

Honestly dont think Knile Davis will even make the team.  I think he will be cut in the final round of cuts.   If they were to decide to limit Bell's touches more than I expect, I think they will sign a different free agent, perhaps after preseason when a decent RB should be available.

By week 3, though, I fully expect Bell to be getting 75-80% of the RB touches.

And that's fine too...he wants to play hard ball, he'll end up losing money, because the tag sure as heck ain't gonna get him anywhere NEAR his $15M.

I have not watched Knile, admittedly, so was basing that off what I remembered him being when he came out. Fine, give Connor the rock and let's see what the rook can do, if healthy. 

13 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

When healthy and not suspended:

QB:  Elite of course

RB:  Elite, and Conner is a huge upgrade over that loser Toussaint as the #2 back.

WR:  Very thin depth.  Brown is elite, but the rest all have huge red flags.  Big play capability but unreliable hands, suspension risks, etc, across the board.

TE:  Pretty average.  McGee and Grimble have shown flashes and James we know is at least ok.  

OL:  Solid across the board.  

DL:  Elite.  Not sure about quality of depth though.  

LB:  Shazier is elite if healthy.  Dupree has an elite burst and will make splash plays as a result.  Watt needs a lot of work, but he'll make some plays due to his motor and intelligence (but I don't see splash plays coming just yet, he needs to disengage faster for them).  Not sure on 3rd LB.

CB:  average?  

S:  average?  

Main reason for optimism?  Big Ben and the offense are going to light it up if healthy. 

Main reason for concern?  The D can get torched and we don't know what we have in half of the players that will log serious minutes on D.  We also are dead in the water if we get injuries to Ben, and it'll hurt big time if Brown or Bell are hurt/suspended too.  

Good stuff. Really helps paint a clearer picture...thanks

4 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

And that's fine too...he wants to play hard ball, he'll end up losing money, because the tag sure as heck ain't gonna get him anywhere NEAR his $15M.

I have not watched Knile, admittedly, so was basing that off what I remembered him being when he came out. Fine, give Connor the rock and let's see what the rook can do, if healthy. 

Connor indeed looked good...having to deal with bell and anyone else is crazy...

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

Strength - Nothing

Weakness - Tomlin

Optimism - We can trade everyone for firsts

Concerns - We might not get 5 top 8 picks.

~That's how I see 99% of Steelers fans answering this.

Some extreme hyperbole right there.   :D

Archived