Pittsburgh @ Denver GDT--Maybe we don't suck?

broncosfan07

10 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If he's willing to stay on a 1-year team-friendly deal, no sweat.   Kind of like how some teams keep 1 guy each year on 1-year deals, until he's done.  Just shouldn't even be a TJ-Ward level deal. 

I don't see a long term deal. Most I would envision would be a partially guaranteed year two or a low yearly value two year guaranteed deal. Who knows.

Seriously a great win yesterday. The lack of play action passing still drives me crazy (can Keenum only throw out of the gun?) and Lindsay needed the ball more before the 4th quarter, but the defense really stepped up and made huge plays. Gutsy plays by the offensive guys. Really fun game man. Best win in a long time

6 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Yeah maybe. He's been lousy at clock management, seems lost at times on the sidelines and is really bad in front off the cameras. On the flip side, outside of the Jets game the team seems well prepared, plays hard for 60 minutes, is starting to own the 2nd half against top competition and has absolutely no quit in them. They just keep coming at you and seem to improve every week. In short, the team is playing to the absolute best of their ability.

I've been on the fence about the guy, he really does make rookie mistakes, but I think it's his team now. If this is the kind of effort we see from his teams I'm definitely willing to let him learn on the job and correct his flaws as a HC. IMO right now the pluses outweigh the negatives.

The last 5 games should tell the tale. VJ could definitely win me over.

I guess we forget he is a rookie HC...or, he is still a young HC with less than two years under his belt. 

5 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

75 yards given up on the ground, 0 giveaways, 4 takeaways and win via an INT in your own endzone  - that should do it, even if the pass rush was way below par.

It doesn't make people pessimistic to say we were fortunate to win that game. I mean, if your opponent moves the ball that well every game you're going to lose a lot more games than you will win. You can't count on a fumble on the goal line, a fumble in the open field after a big gain and a blocked FG to win football games. That said ...

You can still get a slice of luck and be happy about it. Our young team is showing fight and a never say die attitude. We need to build that culture back, so I am delighted about that.

Don't really need to add much about Lindsay. He's special. Special attitude, special player. My favourite Bronco rookie since I started following the game.

It's great to see Shelby Harris making plays. He's going to be an interesting decision come the offseason. He played almost exclusively at DE last year but has played far more NT this year. Can we justify circa $10-12 mill a year on him and Peko, who is also a UFA? I doubt it. The more splash plays he makes, the more difficult it's going to be to re-sign him.

Case was, well, Case. He's not turning the ball over which is absolutely huge for us. I think Romo said it best about Case - he makes big plays, but the good ones make them 4 out of 5 times, not once or twice out of 5. We just keep leaving big plays on the field and like we've said after every game - we aren't good enough to not make those plays. If we start making them 4 out of 5 times, we won't have to rely on freak plays to win games.

We've been terrible on the road against non-dreadful (Arizona) teams, or teams without an actual home field advantage (Chargers), so next week is another gut check game against a reeling opponent.

If we can get back to .500, you never know ..... (I am pretty sure I do, but I like trying to be positive for once).

I think Case is showing improvement and it is based on the fact that the line is protecting him.  Any qb would only get better with more protection.  And man I am really impressed with Bolles lately.  I think it has been about five games without a flag - kudos to him for his improvement.

With Case improving I think it bides us time.  Who knows how much more he can improve but what I like is that with his current improvement it perhaps let us have a normal draft at a normal pace taking who we want and not over reaching for a qb just to say we got one.  We can take players based partially on what the team needs and I hope Elway sticks to the same system of drafting kids who eat, sleep and drink football.  These are the types of kids that given an opportunity will succeed.  But man everyone is talking about this draft class.  In a way I would not want to be Elway - imagine the PRESSURE on him to repeat this draft class success.  However, though the formula is there - eat,sleep,drink, EVERYTHING IS ABOUT FOOTBALL kind of kids and it wont go wrong!!  

33 minutes ago, anewdawn said:

I think Case is showing improvement and it is based on the fact that the line is protecting him.  Any qb would only get better with more protection.  And man I am really impressed with Bolles lately.  I think it has been about five games without a flag - kudos to him for his improvement.

1 penalty against Houston and before 1 againt KC

http://www.nflpenalties.com/player/g-bolles-denver-broncos?year=2018

42 minutes ago, anewdawn said:

With Case improving I think it bides us time.  Who knows how much more he can improve but what I like is that with his current improvement it perhaps let us have a normal draft at a normal pace taking who we want and not over reaching for a qb just to say we got one.  We can take players based partially on what the team needs and I hope Elway sticks to the same system of drafting kids who eat, sleep and drink football.  These are the types of kids that given an opportunity will succeed.  But man everyone is talking about this draft class.  In a way I would not want to be Elway - imagine the PRESSURE on him to repeat this draft class success.  However, though the formula is there - eat,sleep,drink, EVERYTHING IS ABOUT FOOTBALL kind of kids and it wont go wrong!!  

This would be a fantastic outcome.   I've hated the Case signing from Day 1, but I also thought the thinking for the 2-year signing was to bypass 2019's QB draft class (other than later developmental picks) - if they weren't going to take a shot on 2018's class, it would be nuts to then think 2019 is worth speculating similar capital.   In that respect, I understood the thinking (just not the player chosen).  

If it's not 2018, then 2020 is the class to hit hard early on.   It would just hurt to watch for another year realizing he's not the long-term answer, but an even worse result is whiffing on a Rd1 QB in 2019, and that investment bypassing a much, much stronger 2020 class.   

The perfect combo is one in which VJ gets fired, but we do enough to avoid going Rd1 QB in 2019.     Now, given that QB Rd 1 investments generally take 3 years before teams bail, if I had to choose, avoiding 2019's Rd1 draft for QB would be the most important priority - it would just suck to have both VJ & Keenum return for 2019.   Without good coaching and good QB play, flawed teams are just mirages for contention.  Our long-term health needs change at both.  But given we'll have already invested 2 years in Vance, and he'd be on the chopping block with no long-term commitment required, if there's a priority, it's not having to spend a Rd1 pick on QB in 2019.  

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Also: Sean Kugler is one hell of a coach for our OL to be performing the way it is with its two best players out. 

Oh man, isn't he though. So's his counterpart Strausser. 

Actually, the entire coaching staff has done quite a job in player development. Our rookies are playing like seasoned vets. We haven't seen that for ages.

Probably another feather in VJ's cap when talking about HC's. If he goes, so will much of the staff and I'm pretty sure we'd all hate that.

4 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Case is going to be our QB next year. If he doesn't turn the ball over he's fine. Barely starter level QB but I don't see a plausible option for us next season. 

They need to give Lindsay the ball more (he should be a league MVP candidate), and limit Case's throws to about 30 a game.

6 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

They need to give Lindsay the ball more (he should be a league MVP candidate), and limit Case's throws to about 30 a game.

They need to get Case comfortable passing from under center. The amount of empty backfield stuff we ran yesterday when we are the most effective rushing team in the league was shocking 

13 minutes ago, champ11 said:

They need to get Case comfortable passing from under center. The amount of empty backfield stuff we ran yesterday when we are the most effective rushing team in the league was shocking 

Us running anything out of an empty backfield is absurd. I still don't think Musgrave really knows how to use a good running game. Where's the play action?

47 minutes ago, French Fan said:

1 penalty against Houston and before 1 againt KC

http://www.nflpenalties.com/player/g-bolles-denver-broncos?year=2018

And over a month without a hold and thats against some excellent pass rushing teams. I've mentioned it before I know but if Bolles learns how to play the game he's really gonna be good.

I think he's on the right track. Hats off to our OL coaches.

51 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

This would be a fantastic outcome.   I've hated the Case signing from Day 1, but I also thought the thinking for the 2-year signing was to bypass 2019's QB draft class (other than later developmental picks) - if they weren't going to take a shot on 2018's class, it would be nuts to then think 2019 is worth speculating similar capital.   In that respect, I understood the thinking (just not the player chosen).  

If it's not 2018, then 2020 is the class to hit hard early on.   It would just hurt to watch for another year realizing he's not the long-term answer, but an even worse result is whiffing on a Rd1 QB in 2019, and that investment bypassing a much, much stronger 2020 class.   

The perfect combo is one in which VJ gets fired, but we do enough to avoid going Rd1 QB in 2019.     Now, given that QB Rd 1 investments generally take 3 years before teams bail, if I had to choose, avoiding 2019's Rd1 draft for QB would be the most important priority - it would just suck to have both VJ & Keenum return for 2019.   Without good coaching and good QB play, flawed teams are just mirages for contention.  Our long-term health needs change at both.  But given we'll have already invested 2 years in Vance, and he'd be on the chopping block with no long-term commitment required, if there's a priority, it's not having to spend a Rd1 pick on QB in 2019.  

Maybe you might want to reconsider. For the 1st time in my memory almost all of our rookies are playing like vets, our OL improvement despite losing Paradis and Leary is astounding, the team is well prepared every week and are playing their hearts out. 

Do you really want to take a chance at cratering that? I sure don't. 

Yeah, we had a good draft, but not this good. We put these kids in a great learning environment and man have they responded. So has the entire team. 

I completely agree with you that the way to success in this league is making maximum use of young talent. I think we may have the perfect staff to do just that.

Fire VJ and it all goes away.

Archived