GDT Week 12: Baltimore Ravens vs Oakland Raiders

DreamKid

20 minutes ago, RavensDefense3 said:

i don't think defense played garbage at all yesterday, and even in the first drive we held them to 4th down and they went for it and got a fluky chunk of yards. their 2nd TD their TE just made a great play.

I guess I should rephrase. Statistically, especially looking at the box score, the defense played well. Watching the game, I got the complete opposite sense. Carr sat in the pocket for forever on many plays and either overthrew wide open receivers, or found other ways to get our defense off the field. There were also 2-3 separate occasions where Marlon Humphrey made huge plays on 3rd down to get us off the field.

There's nothing fluky about leaving a TE wide open on 4th and short. There's nothing fluky about Jared Cook catching a pass after being wide open (it was a terrible throw by Carr and should've been a walk-in touchdown).

Basically - on paper we played great - watching the film, the Raiders' incompetence on offense, particularly Derek Carr, made us look good.

i didn't see as many wide open receivers as you did. they had a couple plays where their WRs were streaking down the field, but they were definitely not wide open. carr would need to throw a perfect ball to hit those.

i do think the 4th down play was fluky as we haven't had players run wide open on our defense much this season but the great catch cook made was less fluky though, it hink chuck clark was a victim of a pick on that play. these things happen though, if they don't happen we would be on pace to be the greatest defense ever. we are no longer in an era where defenses can hold teams to 7 points week in and week out so i think your expectations are too high.

2 hours ago, RavensDefense3 said:

i do think the 4th down play was fluky as we haven't had players run wide open on our defense much this season but the great catch cook made was less fluky though, it hink chuck clark was a victim of a pick on that play.

He was.

Teams are throwing rubs at us a lot, especially in the RedZone.

11 hours ago, DreamKid said:

He was.

Teams are throwing rubs at us a lot, especially in the RedZone.

It wasn't just one pick, either. He was picked by the slot WR and ran around it, then got successfully picked by the outside WR once Cook broke up on the wheel route. And teams keep throwing them at us because we prove week in and week out we can't handle them.

Archived